Contract Work On Days Off

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

R2000/1830
Rank 4
Rank 4

Contract Work On Days Off

Post by R2000/1830 »

I'm trying to get some clarification on doing contract work on days off when working for Jazz. I.e. Flying King Airs or Teaching Ground schools. I have gotten three answerers on this, can anyone shed some light on this.

a)No
b)Yes but not for a scheduled air service
c)Yes but not for certain companies on some list.

and with all of the above answerers I was told you need permission from Management first.
---------- ADS -----------

Rebel
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Contract Work On Days Off

Post by Rebel »

R2000/1830 wrote:I was told you need permission from Management first.
This is the most correct because of insurance liabilities. The CAF's have an exemption.

Swerved
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Swerved »

Yes, you can definitely do contract work on your days off. You have to get permission from your base chief pilot, who will arrange a letter for you giving you official permission. They will indicate the name of the company specifically on your letter, provided it is not a company in competition with AC or Jazz. You are responsible for making sure you don't violate any CARS, etc.

It's a pretty straightforward process...you just have to ask.

Swerved.

In a world full of people, only some want to fly. Isn't that crazy?
Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Contract Work On Days Off

Post by Rockie »

R2000/1830 wrote:I'm trying to get some clarification on doing contract work on days off when working for Jazz. I.e. Flying King Airs or Teaching Ground schools. I have gotten three answerers on this, can anyone shed some light on this.

a)No
b)Yes but not for a scheduled air service
c)Yes but not for certain companies on some list.

and with all of the above answerers I was told you need permission from Management first.

Why would you waste your time asking anyone but management that question?

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

Careful with something like this guys/gals. I don't know the provisions of your current employer’s insurance plan (for the simple reason I don't work there), however places I did work (and their insurance provisions were just as good as any airline, I am willing to bet) have “accidental death and dismemberment" plans. In other words this plan was outside of basic life insurance ( 2X annual salary in my case at that time of my working life).

If you plan to use day’s off/annual vacation to hop into some BE-90/100/200 and heaven forbid, you end off the end of some 3200ft shitty strip with smashed limbs/burns or whatever, what then. Is Jazz gonna honor any provisions of said "accidental death..........." especially if they consider you on DAYS OFF OR ANNUAL VACATION. Does said policy even apply under such circumstances? It would be a poor time to find out, would it not? Notwithstanding the fact that as a result of this little mishap at the dirt strip it was determined you confused "condition levers" with throttles on the rejected T/O because of that f----- deer and well.... whatever. Now some injured individual with dependants has quite a fucked up back and is seeking full redress (yes lawyers), now things are going get quite interesting for you because:

A. You can kiss the left seat or any seat of the CRJ-701 and the new EM-90 that Jazz will get goodbye simply cause you are not medically fit, so Jazz will let you go, perhaps/perhaps not with some type of small payout.

B. You got a tort lawyer on your ass now seeking damages and, by the way, the contract company for said BE-whatever doesn't have adequate liability or are questioning the fact you should have been in "their" aircraft.

Now what about the wife/husband and the 2 cute little children who, I might add have a vested interested in seeing mommy/daddy healthy and happy and you put them in a little bit of bother cause of your insatiable appetite to “slip the surely bonds".

Get over it. Jazz is a good airline with nice equipment - I like them and flown with them several times(o/k, I get annoyed in the CRJ-200 as I can't take a piss in that can but I can cure that by not quaffing beer prior to departure). The initial salary is a tad short but why put yourself in jeopardy and risk it all. Spend your days off/vacation with your family fer Christ sakes. If you are single get a girlfriend/boyfriend, get two of each or whatever, take up wine making...............

Anyway, enough of rambling from this old prick who hasn't had his morning caffeine fix yet.

Carry on!
Over and Out
:wink:

dangerous
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by dangerous »

Just out of curiousity, can Air Canada (mainline) pilots have a flying job on the side, whether it be as an employee, contractor, or self employed?

"Yeah. There is a problem. You...because you're dangerous. You're dangerous and foolish - and that makes you dangerous! Now, let's cut the...crap. We've got a plane to fly. Let's try to be on time, okay?"
~Val Kilmer, Saturday Night Live
asdfasd
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by asdfasd »

dangerous wrote:Just out of curiosity, can Air Canada (mainline) pilots have a flying job on the side, whether it be as an employee, contractor, or self employed?
Yes, many.
I have quite a few AC pilots friends with other flying jobs or other types of employment.

There is a procedure to get permission to fly elsewhere.

SQ

Post by SQ »

KFCpilot wrote:
I have quite a few AC pilots friends with other flying jobs or other types of employment.

There is a procedure to get permission to fly elsewhere.

assuming they have a second flying job, how do they deal with 2 sched they may not have decision power on ?

asdfasd
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by asdfasd »

with some seniority, its possible to work mainly weekends at AC. Most pilots want weekends off.

Return to “Air Canada”