Global Solutions

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Jaques Strappe
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Jaques Strappe »

I don't think a merger of sorts was ever really viable due to the fact, as pointed out earlier, that in the end Air Canada will choose who flies its' airplanes. Now with Jazz being completely separate, there is little doubt of no single list and this has nothing to do with ACPA not wanting one.

To the best of my knowledge however, both groups are still meeting to plan negotiations that benefit each other as opposed to stealing off our respective tables as some would like to see.
---------- ADS -----------

Standby for new atis message
Kid
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Kid »

If Jazz and AC were truly so separate, AC would not honour the current hiring freeze for Jazz pilots and would hire them at the same rate as WJ does.... Just an observation.

Jaques Strappe
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Jaques Strappe »

That just might happen

Dark Helmet
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Dark Helmet »

I wont happen anytime soon. By the time the freeze is lifted the doors would have been closed. I mean c'mon, they are hurting enough with people going to WJ, they wont risk loosing pilots to AC at an exponential rate also

asdfasd
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by asdfasd »

Speaking of costs, don’t forget its all new hires flying the ERJ. FOs start at 36000 ish for unlimited flying for two years. I don’t think Jazz would be more cost effective.

And, it 500$ a day makes or breaks an aircrafts daily profitability, then it isn’t going to survive anyways.

Just my opinion.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

KFCpilot wrote:Speaking of costs, don’t forget its all new hires flying the ERJ. FOs start at 36000 ish for unlimited flying for two years. I don’t think Jazz would be more cost effective.
Don't forget the AC EMJ Purser that is making $60K+............

prop2jet
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by prop2jet »

To say that the ERJ 175/190 is cheaper to operate because it is crewed with new hires is only part of the equation. Don't forget everything else that takes place in the background. An airline's profitability is not factored by the cost of the "pointy end".

Mainline will never be able to generate the kind of returns on investment that WJ enjoys because they are run differently and have different route structures, contracts etc. The one thing that AC could do to lower it's training budget would be to implement a status pay system. As it is now, people are jumping from one type to the next at the earliest opportunity in order to make more $$$. This includes many of the first group that got on the ERJ. How many of them have since bid onto the Bus so as to get out of the pay group in year 3?

Jaques Strappe
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Jaques Strappe »

Has anyone watched the show that was on Discovery Channel where they basically looked at everything that went into flying an American Airlines 767 from New York to LAX? In the end, after all cost breakdowns were applied, the flight generated a $200 profit. What they refused to disclose however, was the revenue generated by that flight for other airline spinoffs such as their loyalty program. That was all "top secret" information. I am getting the impression that a "legacy airline" today is not supposed to make money but simply provide a vehicle to generate profits elsewhere.

I doubt a pilot making 20 dollars an hour less is going to achieve anything other than lowering the pilots standard of living. Robert did that once already, shame on him. A second time? Shame on us! I do believe ACPA and ALPA realize this.

asdfasd
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by asdfasd »

prop2jet wrote:. The one thing that AC could do to lower it's training budget would be to implement a status pay system. As it is now, people are jumping from one type to the next at the earliest opportunity in order to make more $$$. This includes many of the first group that got on the ERJ. How many of them have since bid onto the Bus so as to get out of the pay group in year 3?
I agree with you. I'm a relative new hire with AC, (love the company by the way) many of the people in my class of 22 bid off the ERJ because of pay. Personally I would have been perfectly happy on the ERJ but I know the 320 pays much better for the same job. I guess in the big picture they have to decide what makes more economic sense, paying the ERJ FOs more or training new FOs on both types with the bids.

tonysoprano
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Global Solutions

Post by tonysoprano »

twinpratts wrote:So that's it? It a dead horse? :shock:
May I ask what started this thread? Is GS done? ACPA hasn't told us it is. Twinpratts, were you told something at WJ the rest of us on the Red team don't know? Or are you just stirring and spinning? I must be missing something.

Dockjock
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Dockjock »

I believe that is the way everyone can win.:AC gives up emb for widebodies, Jazz gives up -8 for emb, the company saves money, and everyone's pay goes up because of the larger aircraft. This type of economics makes far more sense than this union gimme-gimme stuff.
Bede that is exactly what we are trying to prevent. Next time how about AC gives up the 320 for "more widebodies", Jazz gives up the RJ for the 320, and...then what? Give your head a shake. :shock:

tonysoprano
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by tonysoprano »

If GS works properly, there's no need to give up anything. despite all the nonesense on this forum, there would be pilots at Jazz quite happy to fly a dash8 or RJ till retirement and those who want to move on would be happy if only the contract coult be fixed. In 09 let's work on lifestyle within the contract. We need to get back to pre 9/11 lifestyle and oppurtunity. Bigger and better isn't everyone's dream. Let's work on the contract and then the money.

piggy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by piggy »

ALPA has said in a memo that GS has failed. They also have said that it will not be looked at with much effort from now on as union efforts now must be put towards neg. for the 2009 contract.
As a result , i highly doubt that ALPA and ACPA will have any meaningful collusion for the forseeable future on working conditions-quite the opposite.
ALPA 's mandate will be to aquire as much flying as possible for their members. Nothing has changed-it is pathetic.
Talking about how we can work together now is water under the bridge. I believe this was the last shot at really fixing the 2 group problem.

Jaques Strappe
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Jaques Strappe »

piggy wrote: ALPA 's mandate will be to aquire as much flying as possible for their members.
If that is indeed an accurate statement, which I doubt, then there lies the root of all your problems with regard to a decent contract. Serving only to the detriment of its' own members and the rest of the pilot community. I believe ALPA will be working toward a better contract for the flying they already have. That mandate is from ALPA National who is trying to put an end to the erosion of pilot wages.

tonysoprano
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by tonysoprano »

True JS but have you forgotten who we're dealing with? These guys are"detached" from ALPA national or the rest of it for that matter. They work in their own little world using their own tactics. Anyway, I'm surprised we haven't heard from our group ACPA on this. As far as I know they are still talking, what ever that means.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

Jaques Strappe wrote:
piggy wrote: I believe ALPA will be working toward a better contract for the flying they already have. That mandate is from ALPA National who is trying to put an end to the erosion of pilot wages.
The group that needs to role up their sleeves in 2009 to achieve a better contract ain't Jazz Alpa. $$$ are nice but you need lifestyle to go with it.

Dark Helmet
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: Global Solutions

Post by Dark Helmet »

tonysoprano wrote:
twinpratts wrote:So that's it? It a dead horse? :shock:
May I ask what started this thread? Is GS done? ACPA hasn't told us it is. Twinpratts, were you told something at WJ the rest of us on the Red team don't know? Or are you just stirring and spinning? I must be missing something.
Tony

The MEC said on one of our recent newsletters. That both groups don't have the same "vision" to carry GS forward. And that now the empahsis is to get a better contract for 2009, or something along those lines anyways. You menitoned earlier that both groups are talking again sometime this month, we have not heard anything of the such in our end. (I heard that from you first............. in this forum :cry:)

The MEC closed by saying that despite all this, relationships have improved between our two groups and that ALPA is open to negotiations in the future. At least that is my umderstanding of it anyways.

tonysoprano
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by tonysoprano »

DH.
Thanks for the update. I wasn't aware of that. Like I said, our camp tells us the talks are still on. If this is not the case, we should be told so in the near future. In my view the group should include all pilots in Canada but we can't even seem to get two companies together. Nobody said this was going to be easy but I'm happy to see an attempt was made or is being made. This may go down to the wire into late 2008 but I'm confident more progress will be made.

piggy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by piggy »

Of course alpa is going to try and get more flying-it has always been the case and always will as long as there is 2 groups. i would not be surprised if jazz had 2000 pilots within the next 5 yrs.
i was told by a GS committee member that if no agreement is made by the end of 2007-there never will be one as the unions are limited in resources and must concentrate on their own collective agreement neg. starting in 2008.
if they are talking still about GS, great. it would appear from the latest fromALPA that GS is dead.

I also find it hard to believe that they say they are still working together on neg for 2009. really, without 1 group, how far does that go??

Jaques Strappe
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Jaques Strappe »

Pretty simple really, "you don't steal off my plate, I don't steal off yours." Best of luck to both groups in the next negotiation. Hopefully pilots will realize that we are all on the same fricken team whether you are at AC, WJ, AT, Jazz or wherever!

Return to “Air Canada”