Jazz to Hire Pilots From Schools.

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

TopperHarley
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by TopperHarley »

Stop calling him "Mr" Daugherty. He's only 20 years old!! :lol:
---------- ADS -----------

‎"Never travel faster than your guardian angel can fly." - Mother Theresa
TAWS
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TAWS »

[quote]I'd just like to say. I took my PPL with Mr. Daugherty and he was very knowledgable. Ok at times a little cocky and arguementative but still a good pilot. He went to Sue pretty much after course.

While time is good for hiring, whos to say someone with the minimum 1500 hours will react better than someone like Mr. Daugherty who may only have about 300 hours. Some people react better than others. Some people could have low time but have experienced a lot of emergencies, as compared to someone sitting in a flying bus experiencing the same routine day in and day out.

I dont have a lot of time myself, but I've had my share of experiences. Half my total time is in cross country flights, of which those have stretched as far as 1200 nautical miles out from home. I've experienced in-flight emergency (alternator failure at night), I know what its like to have to modify a flight plan and land at an alternate, etc etc.

Just because we're new, doesnt mean we're stupid.

Dont flame the new pilots such as Mr. Daugherty, if anyone, either blame the industry, or blame your fellow pilots who refuse to work for low wages. If it werent for these two, Jazz wouldnt be looking at hiring Mr. Daugherty I'd imagine.

And dont forget, the aging baby boomer plays a role in this to

Mr Small Penguin,

I am currently a pilot at jazz and I want to assure you that no one thinks you guys are stupid.....just inexperienced. Your post shows exactly that. I too remember doing my training 10 yrs ago and having those type of emergencies as well. At the time they were what the were.....very significant events in my young aviation career. Those emergencies, along with the pilot decision making process that followed all helped in preparing me for my future jobs. This experience is the first you receive in a very controlled environment called a flight school. It all helps as you proceed in your career. However, Mr. Daugherty and his fellow classmates will have their hands full. I hope your attitude does not reflect theirs, because if their sitting in a cockpit next a captain with 20 yrs experience (@ Jazz alone) talking about their VFR alt. failures at night, It is going to be a long learning process for them.

I hope you cut and paste your post and review it after even 3yrs of flying experience. I would be curious to see if your same opinion still exists.

Good Luck to the new applicants. Its a great place to work

And small penguin...may all of your experience from flight school help you with your first job.

Zapp Brannigan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Zapp Brannigan »

Is there really a comparision of the training recieved in canadian aviation college programs to the ones in europe? As I understand the european programs are much more developed on teaching the student a two crew environment from inital training on. Can anyone say how the Canadian college programs teach students that have a chance to get into the Jazz pool? I always thought the college programs had courses that you would take in any diploma program straight out of high school.

HavaJava
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by HavaJava »

I've been to more airports than most pilots I know with about the same flying time as I.
I bet I've flown into more airports in 1 day then you've been to in your life.

36 to be exact!!!

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

wow, best i've done in one day was 9

TAWS
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TAWS »

Half my total time is in cross country flights, of which those have stretched as far as 1200 nautical miles out from home.
Lol......1200 miles is a slow days work!

loadshed
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by loadshed »

Last edited by loadshed on Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Ahh...flying to different airports...here is my favourite one.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e353/ ... 572008.jpg

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

*whistles* nice, where was that taken?

small penguin
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by small penguin »

TAWS... as you guys dont seem to imagine, sure 1200nm is nothing when you're flying a dash 8, a 737, or any other aircraft on charter or airline work.

But when you fly that much in 36 hours at 3000 feet in a 150 and you do it for FUN (you guys do remember that word right?) then we'll swap stories.

Im at the beginning of my flying adventures (not a career as I dont envision myself ever working for an airline, thats not the kind of flying I want to do). How many people do you know went out and did "big" (relatively speaking of a pilot of about 200 hours) things. Most pilots I know at my level are doing circuits and flying their friends around the city.

Lurch
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Lurch »

C-HRIS wrote:Stop calling him "Mr" Daugherty. He's only 20 years old!! :lol:
Thank You

Mr. is a term of respect and Mike has yet to earn that title

small Penguin, thats just what your experiances are "Small" if you think that you could even slightly conceive what it takes, you are greatly mistaken.

As stated before come back after a couple thousand hours and re-read this post, then maybe you will understand.

Lurch

Take my love
Take my land
Take me where I cannot stand
I don't care
I'm still free
You cannot take the sky from me
F/O Crunch
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by F/O Crunch »

Oh yeah? Well my schlong is bigger than your schlong!

RatherBeFlyingInCanada
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by RatherBeFlyingInCanada »

C-GGGQ wrote:*whistles* nice, where was that taken?
Correct me if I am wrong but I believe that is in Brazil somewhere. I also think the name of that mountain is Sugarloaf Mountain. :?:

"Keep thy airspeed up, lest the earth come from below and smite thee."
TAWS
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TAWS »

Small Penguin,

Fun?.....I know that word... I am still having it...Thats why I still fly, because I like the job and the people around me. It certainly isn't for the fucking money or I would have stopped flying years ago.

I am sorry I don't give your 36hrs at 3000ft in a c-150 or 1200nm trips the credit you are looking for , when myself at one time, and many other aviators still are flying 1200hrs a year. :roll:

I'll swap stories anytime....my landing light was once burnt out....scary stuff :wink:

Mr. North
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Mr. North »

This has been the most entertaining thread in weeks! God help those Captains/babysitters at Jazz!

F/O Crunch
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by F/O Crunch »

Common fellas??
Cut this 'my dad can beat up your dad' attitude eh.. Labelling fresh college grads immature maybe real cool and whatnot.. but this sort of name calling thing is putting your foot in your mouth. I don't know if MR. DAUGHERTY frequents this forum but if you so, i'm sure you're a swell guy and this isn't meant to target you alone.. Weither you like it or not though you've become the representative so take the heat with a grain of salt!

Stay cool fellow aviationeers:)

Captain Crunch
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Captain Crunch »

What I want to know is what the @#$! happens when the captain has a heart attack, or chokes on his dinner. You think Mr. Douchebag can bring it down safely?
If I were on the flight I would probably walk up front and kick that idiot out. Man o Man.

TopperHarley
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by TopperHarley »

F/O Crunch wrote:
Common fellas??
Cut this 'my dad can beat up your dad' attitude eh.. Labelling fresh college grads immature maybe real cool and whatnot.. but this sort of name calling thing is putting your foot in your mouth. I don't know if MR. DAUGHERTY frequents this forum but if you so, i'm sure you're a swell guy and this isn't meant to target you alone.. Weither you like it or not though you've become the representative so take the heat with a grain of salt!

Stay cool fellow aviationeers:)
I guarantee you that my dad could not beat up anyone's dad as he is quite the wimp! I was only saying that in jest, hence the simily face.

I'm not angry towards the students for getting on at Jazz and Im sure noone here is either. Good for them, they worked hard in school and they deserve to be rewarded for it. But I think the anger is directed towards Jazz for instituting the program in the first place when there are plenty of 1500+hr pilots who would love to be at jazz for the long-term.

Good for you "Mr." Daugherty and good luck to you in training. Maybe we will be flying together at Jazz someday, who knows. :wink:

TopperHarley
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by TopperHarley »

Captain Crunch wrote:What I want to know is what the @#$! happens when the captain has a heart attack, or chokes on his dinner.
They call their mom and ask for help.

Again, Im only kidding. :lol:

Hedley
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Hedley »

God help those Captains/babysitters at Jazz!
Clearly that is part of the cost-cutting ... having absolutely legally minimally-qualified people in the right seat, means that the guy in the left seat is, in addition to flying the aircraft, also giving dual instruction.

Frankly, it's an accountant's wet dream.

Return to “General Comments”