Looking for some advice

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Post Reply
Retired
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:48 am

Looking for some advice

Post by Retired »

I just recently retired from a 20 year career in law enforcement and want to get into commercial aviation. My question is this: Does a 44 year old ex-cop with very well controlled type 2 diabetes have any chance at a decent career, or am I fooling myself? I got my PPL last summer and am working towards my CPL now. My initial research showed a positive potential, but the more I speak with crews and services, I begin to wonder if I have enough useful years left for a prospective employer or if I am past my prime.

Be honest...I can take it!!
---------- ADS -----------
 
pitot
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 126
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 8:59 pm

Re: Looking for some advice

Post by pitot »

More than likely you are to old for airlines so if that is your goal i would put the brakes on. As for the diabete's i'm not sure. I'm think if the aviation doctor's will let you continue i don't think you have to worry about employers having to much of a problem. Do you have a family? You need to think of that. I know if I had just retired and i decided to go flying and my wife heard knowing what she know's now it would not be good. Most flying period your away from home, or living in the middle of know where which is most likely where you will have to be because your starting so late. And that is where most job's start out, besides instructing but i would highly doubt that it the type of flying your thinking of. If that is the case just save your money and rent when you want too. Ultimately i think you need to decide how bad you want it cause it will be hard. Unless your already very financially secure and can afford to dump the 40g. If that is the case i would say giver, cause you never know. I realize i am jumping all over the place in this reply, but i can't type worth sh*t and if I tried to put down everything i want to say i would be here till march. good luck in your decision.

P
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
Rudder Bug
Rank 10
Rank 10
Posts: 2735
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:09 pm
Location: Right seat but I own the seat

Re: Looking for some advice

Post by Rudder Bug »

Happy new year Retired,

One of the best pilots I know did his CPL at 39. He is now in his early 60's and drives a water bomber near home. May I suggest trying a fire patrol gig for a start? You might enjoy getting paid to fly, for a change.

I wish you a flying job in 2008 and please keep us posted about your progress!

RB
---------- ADS -----------
 
Flying an aircraft and building a guitar are two things that are easy to do bad and difficult to do right

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Yd_QppdGks
xsbank
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 5655
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2004 4:00 pm
Location: "The Coast"

Re: Looking for some advice

Post by xsbank »

If you have really researched this industry and you know what it can and can't offer, I would say your age is only material because you might be less willing to do the sh*t jobs you generally have to do to get a start. In round numbers you have 20 years to fly and it might take 5 before you can afford groceries but you might be a great candidate for RCMP or a local law enforcement outfit, that sort of thing, once you get some hours. If you are loony enough to have been a cop you might like fling wing? :twisted:
---------- ADS -----------
 
"What's it doing now?"
"Fly low and slow and throttle back in the turns."
Bobby868
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 161
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:13 am

Re: Looking for some advice

Post by Bobby868 »

Sorry to burst your bubble but I think your diabetes will severely hinder you.

I don’t know the difference between the different types of diabetes but I do know that it’s one the main reasons people get their medical pulled. Did you let your doctor know you had diabetes when you got your aviation medical done? What was his response? Did you get a Cat 1 or 2 medical done? The Cat 1 for commercial licenses is a fair bit more strict so you will want to be 100% sure you can qualify before you throw a lot of money at commercial license.

If your doctor says your diabetes is not a problem and you want to pursue a career in aviation my strong recommendation would be flight instruction. The Airlines is out of the question, one based on age (44+5 years to train and gain some sort of experience) and also their medical is stricter than the standard Cat 1 and I’d bet my left nut they won’t pass you with even a mild form of diabetes.

The bush is not where you want to be either. It’s away from home, family and you’ll have to break your back working shit hours for shit pay. This is ok when you’re 20 but hard to swallow at 45.

Flight instruction allows you to fly in and around home. There are lots of instructor positions available these days and if you are a calm patient kind of fellow that likes to help others and pass on information you will find it a fun and rewarding way to pass your time. However, it pays about the same as McDonalds with the up side being you fly for free.
---------- ADS -----------
 
mcrit
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1973
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2004 9:01 pm

Re: Looking for some advice

Post by mcrit »

Hi Retired:
From reading the background you gave I take it that you are drawing a pension , and you wouldn't be relying on the aviation career to put food on the table right away. If this is the case then you should do just fine. The age is no problem (unless, as previously stated, you want to fly for the airlines). As for the diabetes, check with your aviation doctor. He's the one that has to sign off on your medical.
---------- ADS -----------
 
____________________________________
I'm just two girls short of a threesome.
Conquest Driver
Rank 6
Rank 6
Posts: 410
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:57 pm

Re: Looking for some advice

Post by Conquest Driver »

If you can keep a Cat 1 medical, I think your chances might actually be OK.

Where do you live and how badly do you want to keep living there?
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
Hot Fuel
Rank 6
Rank 6
Posts: 472
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2004 1:16 pm

Re: Looking for some advice

Post by Hot Fuel »

I'm pretty sure there are no problems with Type two, how do you control your sugar levels now? diet only or diet and meds? either way I don't belive its a problem. For those that don't know Type one is a lack of sugar that requires insulin shots and if you forget you can go into diabetic shock, when you have type two you are too sweet, but it can be controlled by lifestyle change i.e diet and excercise or meds (pills) to reduce or control the sugar level. No passing out, going into shock or irrational behaviour with type two, all bad things if you fly airplanes, drive buses, taxi's or forklifts for a living. Having said that my doctor has told me that it is inevidable that your (my) type two will eventually become type one if you (I) live long engough. It may not happen until I'm 100 but it will happen. All I can do is slow it down by watching what I eat and do as much cadio as I can.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Retired
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:48 am

Re: Looking for some advice

Post by Retired »

I want to thank everyone for their advice, I was hoping for and got some honest answers. I didn't really think airlines was an option, and already have been offered a job flying pipeline patrol by a guy I know who runs the flying school. My ultimate goal was to fly for the RCMP (as a civilian pilot) but they require minimum of 3000 hours. I'm going to do the pipeline thing over the summer then maybe try for in instructor rating next winter. Pipeline is kind of seasonal. I do like the idea of flying fire patrol as well. Crap...just can't get away from that damned "patrol" word!!!! lol!!!

Thanks again, much appreciated. I don't remember who asked, but my diabetes is Type 2 and very well controlled with diet, exercise and meds. My HBA1Cs are generally in the 6.6 range.
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11
Posts: 3619
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:24 pm

Re: Looking for some advice

Post by KAG »

check your PM's.
---------- ADS -----------
 
The feet you step on today might be attached to the ass you're kissing tomorrow.
Chase lifestyle not metal.
kitin
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:47 am
Contact:

Re: Looking for some advice

Post by kitin »

If you have the guts to do what ever it takes then do it...age is a factor for some but the ability is more than a factor...you do know who you are and so you what you can and can't do...
---------- ADS -----------
 
Luscombe
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 329
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:57 am
Location: Planet Earth

Re: Looking for some advice

Post by Luscombe »

I'm another of those "second career" types in aviation. I didn't start until I was 38, and although the road hasn't always been smooth, I don't regret trading in the rat race for the cockpit.

I found that age wasn't a barrier for me; in fact I think it worked to my advantage at times. In so far as your type 2 status, I have flown with many and even with one with type 1. Don't write yourself off just yet.

In the short run, instructing is probably your best bet. Many of the clubs would welcome someone with a little real-life experience under their belt as it adds maturity to the instructor pool. Some older students prefer learning from someone their own age.

I wish I had a nickle for every time someone told me that I couldn't make it; I'd be rich. I was told that I would never make it to the airlines, never make it in the bush, never make it to a tier 3 operator etc.... I proved them all wrong. Mind you, this was done with diligence, hard work and perhaps a little luck.

All the best Retired, I hope you do reach for that brass ring and get it.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Pete
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 534
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:39 pm

Re: Looking for some advice

Post by Pete »

Just out of Curiousity (not to take away from the thread)...isnt Diabetes one of the things you get tested for when you take a leak in the cup? I thought the nurse said it was...never really paid much attention to it. What do they test for?
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
Hot Fuel
Rank 6
Rank 6
Posts: 472
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2004 1:16 pm

Re: Looking for some advice

Post by Hot Fuel »

Nope...they draw a blood sample after a minimum 12 hour fast, they are simply measuring the amount in your sugar system is producing...type one is too little sugar and type two is too much. Neither are good but type two is "better". Diabetes can be very debilitating, it can effect almost every system in your body, eyes, liver, feet, the list is amazing.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Pete
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 534
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:39 pm

Re: Looking for some advice

Post by Pete »

so what is the eurine test for? drugs? honest question too, Ive never even bothered asking them before....I should get my $$'s worth and ask. I dont know where I got Diabetes from.
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
Hot Fuel
Rank 6
Rank 6
Posts: 472
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2004 1:16 pm

Re: Looking for some advice

Post by Hot Fuel »

Holy shit I'm starting to feel like doctor....Doc where are you on this topic! FYI Google works well for these questions too!

A urine test checks different components of urine, a waste product made by the kidneys. A regular urine test may be done to help find the cause of symptoms. The test can give information about your health and problems you may have.

The kidneys take out waste material, minerals, fluids, and other substances from the blood to be passed in the urine. Urine has hundreds of different body wastes. What you eat, drink, how much you exercise, and how well your kidneys work can affect what is in your urine.

More than 100 different tests can be done on urine. A regular urinalysis often includes the following tests.

Color. Many things affect urine color, including fluid balance, diet, medicines, and diseases. How dark or light the color is tells you how much water is in it. Vitamin B supplements can turn urine bright yellow. Some medicines, blackberries, beets, rhubarb, or blood in the urine can turn urine red-brown.

Clarity. Urine is normally clear. Bacteria, blood, sperm, crystals, or mucus can make urine look cloudy.

Odor. Urine does not smell very strong, but has a slightly "nutty" odor. Some diseases cause a change in the odor of urine. For example, an infection with E. coli bacteria can cause a bad odor, while diabetes or starvation can cause a sweet, fruity odor.

Specific gravity. This checks the amount of substances in the urine. It also shows how well the kidneys balance the amount of water in urine. The higher the specific gravity, the more solid material is in the urine. When you drink a lot of fluid, your kidneys make urine with a high amount of water in it which has a low specific gravity. When you do not drink fluids, your kidneys make urine with a small amount of water in it which has a high specific gravity.
pH. The pH is a measure of how acidic or alkaline (basic) the urine is. A urine pH of 4 is strongly acidic, 7 is neutral (neither acidic nor alkaline), and 9 is strongly alkaline. Sometimes the pH of urine is affected by certain treatments. For example, your doctor may instruct you how to keep your urine either acidic or alkaline to prevent some types of kidney stones from forming.

Protein. Protein is normally not found in the urine. Fever, hard exercise, pregnancy, and some diseases, especially kidney disease, may cause protein to be in the urine.

Glucose. Glucose is the type of sugar found in blood. Normally there is very little or no glucose in urine. When the blood sugar level is very high, as in uncontrolled diabetes, the sugar spills over into the urine. Glucose can also be found in urine when the kidneys are damaged or diseased.

Nitrites. Bacteria that cause a urinary tract infection (UTI) make an enzyme that changes urinary nitrates to nitrites. Nitrites in urine show a UTI is present.
Leukocyte esterase (WBC esterase). Leukocyte esterase shows leukocytes (white blood cells [WBCs]) in the urine. WBCs in the urine may mean a UTI is present.

Ketones. When fat is broken down for energy, the body makes substances called ketones (or ketone bodies). These are passed in the urine. Large amounts of ketones in the urine may mean a very serious condition, diabetic ketoacidosis, is present. A diet low in sugars and starches (carbohydrates), starvation, or severe vomiting may also cause ketones to be in the urine.

Microscopic analysis. In this test, urine is spun in a special machine (centrifuge) so the solid materials (sediment) settle at the bottom. The sediment is spread on a slide and looked at under a microscope. Things that may be seen on the slide include: Red or white blood cells. Blood cells are not found in urine normally. Inflammation, disease, or injury to the kidneys, ureters, bladder, or urethra can cause blood in urine. Strenuous exercise, such as running a marathon, can also cause blood in the urine. White blood cells may be a sign of infection or kidney disease.

Casts. Some types of kidney disease can cause plugs of material (called casts) to form in tiny tubes in the kidneys. The casts then get flushed out in the urine. Casts can be made of red or white blood cells, waxy or fatty substances, or protein. The type of cast in the urine can help show what type of kidney disease may be present.

Crystals. Healthy people often have only a few crystals in their urine. A large number of crystals, or certain types of crystals, may mean kidney stones are present or there is a problem with how the body is using food (metabolism).

Bacteria, yeast cells, or parasites. There are no bacteria, yeast cells, or parasites in urine normally. If these are present, it can mean you have an infection.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Pete
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 534
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:39 pm

Re: Looking for some advice

Post by Pete »

Glucose. Glucose is the type of sugar found in blood. Normally there is very little or no glucose in urine. When the blood sugar level is very high, as in uncontrolled diabetes, the sugar spills over into the urine. Glucose can also be found in urine when the kidneys are damaged or diseased.
See I think that was it because I swear a nurse brought up Diabetes once while checking it...I thought "Well isnt that done with a blood test" never asked...ah well. Maybe checking for symtoms or whatnot.

Thanks Hot Fuel! I never thought #1's could be so informative! :lol:
---------- ADS -----------
 
Post Reply

Return to “General Comments”