Hello

This forum is for non aviation related topics, political debate, random thoughts, and everything else that just doesn't seem to fit in the normal forums. ALL FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

Etienne
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:11 am
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa

Hello

Post by Etienne »

Hello everyone

I'm a new face around here. I'm from South Africa, but hopefully not for much longer. Busy preparing to uproot and move to a civilised country (Canada), and this is one of the places I intend to hang out in!

To introduce myself, I'm 26, have a South African Private Pilot's License, and a home-rebuilt Citabria, currently operating under the non-type-certified laws of this country... I am also an electrical engineer, working in a bank (go figure).

I also hail from another aviation forum, which I guess is the South African equivalent of AvCanada...

That's about it! I'll be asking lots of questions about how things work (particularly about the NTCA section, licensing and training requirements) and will hopefully be able to help out and answer the odd question in return :D

Etienne
---------- ADS -----------
 
Attachments
ZU-BPY.jpg
ZU-BPY.jpg (111.83 KiB) Viewed 2706 times
Gravity sucks.
Gravity never loses, the best you can hope for is a draw.
Pile-it
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 41
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:05 am
Location: Hafalax

Re: Hello

Post by Pile-it »

Hello and welcome to Canada!
---------- ADS -----------
 
You cut it...
User avatar
5x5
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1576
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2004 7:30 pm

Re: Hello

Post by 5x5 »

Welcome Etienne!

Nice looking airplane you've built. Hope you put a good heater in it. :wink:
---------- ADS -----------
 
Being stupid around airplanes is a capital offence and nature is a hanging judge!

“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.”
Mark Twain
Etienne
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:11 am
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa

Re: Hello

Post by Etienne »

Pile-it wrote:Hello and welcome to Canada!
Thanks for the welcome, but I'm not in Canada yet :D
5x5 wrote:Welcome Etienne!

Nice looking airplane you've built. Hope you put a good heater in it.
Thanks, I'm rather partial to this aeroplane myself - one of my upcoming questions will be about bringing it over with me :D No heater though... Time to buy some electric socks!
---------- ADS -----------
 
Gravity sucks.
Gravity never loses, the best you can hope for is a draw.
User avatar
Driving Rain
Rank 10
Rank 10
Posts: 2696
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2004 5:10 pm
Location: At a Tanker Base near you.
Contact:

Re: Hello

Post by Driving Rain »

Canada's a VERY LARGE country.... Where are you planning on settling?
---------- ADS -----------
 
Etienne
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:11 am
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa

Re: Hello

Post by Etienne »

Hehe... I don't think I can grasp just how big Canada really is. I'm used to a country that's about 1800km's long and about 1500km's wide!

We're looking at Vancouver. Having never been to Canada, I'm not sure yet though. We're coming out in June/July probably to have a good look round, so it may change after that :D

There are a few criteria:
1) I need to find work (and organise work permit etc. etc.)
2) My girlfriend needs to find a University that does marine biology post-grad, and needs to be accepted
3) I need to find an airfield with hangerage
4) I need to find a spot to live that won't require the removal of my left testicle :lol:

So we'll see!
I'm not sure if you guys could help answering non-flying related questions about moving over and life in Canada?
I'll probably start a thread with a million questions :D Just finding my way around here first...
---------- ADS -----------
 
Gravity sucks.
Gravity never loses, the best you can hope for is a draw.
taxiway_matthew
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 245
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2005 7:14 pm

Re: Hello

Post by taxiway_matthew »

#4 would take Vancouver off your list :twisted:

Welcome to Canada
---------- ADS -----------
 
Image
Etienne
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:11 am
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa

Re: Hello

Post by Etienne »

Property prices here are pretty high too. A 2-bedroom flat within 1 hour's drive from the city is around $145k, and couple that with an interest rate of 14.5% (and climbing)...

So I'm taking the Twoflower approach to life and am thinking that if other people can do it, then I must be able to as well :D :roll: One step at a time.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Gravity sucks.
Gravity never loses, the best you can hope for is a draw.
g5
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 325
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:07 am

Re: Hello

Post by g5 »

seems to be a mass exodus from s.a these days.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Etienne
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:11 am
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa

Re: Hello

Post by Etienne »

g5 wrote:seems to be a mass exodus from s.a these days.
No kidding... It's a real pity, but it's just not feasible staying here.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Gravity sucks.
Gravity never loses, the best you can hope for is a draw.
User avatar
Driving Rain
Rank 10
Rank 10
Posts: 2696
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2004 5:10 pm
Location: At a Tanker Base near you.
Contact:

Re: Hello

Post by Driving Rain »

Well if you go to Vancouver you must look up some old countrymen of yours at
Eco-logical Lawn and Gardens in North Vancouver on Welsh St. The Owners (Husband, Wife, Sister and Father) are all from Jo-burg I believe. Gavin Dewar was my nieces boss and a pretty good guy from my P.O.V. He does have some pronunciation problems. He pronounces Zebra like this.... Zed bra instead of Zee bra. I checked the spelling and sure enough there is no D in the word. :D
My eye surgeon is also S.A. he lives in Winnipeg. It's very cold there in the winter hence the nick-name "Winterpeg" but the cold keeps some of the riff-raff out. :roll:
Good luck I hope you have smooth sailing.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Chuck Ellsworth
Rank 11
Rank 11
Posts: 3074
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:49 am
Location: Always moving

Re: Hello

Post by Chuck Ellsworth »

No kidding... It's a real pity, but it's just not feasible staying here.
So the express train to the stone age is still rolling downhill?

T. I. A . ....its in the DNA.
---------- ADS -----------
 
The most difficult thing about flying is knowing when to say no.

After over a half a century of flying I can not remember even one trip that I refused to do that resulted in someone getting killed because of my decision not to fly.
Etienne
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:11 am
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa

Re: Hello

Post by Etienne »

I may well look them up! It's always good to speak to people who have gone through the process :)

As for the steam train, yep... I want to watch the Soccer World Cup in 2010 from somewhere far away. Although it's not all bad, 2010 is the only reason things are actually happening here (new infrastructure, road maintenance, etc.), but we don't hear any plans for 2011 or beyond :(

Big shortage of electricity, although I believe we're not the only ones with rolling blackouts ;) Power stations take about 20 years to commission, and they haven't started the process yet, so for at least the next 20 years we'll have major power shortages.

I don't know. I can't see it improving any time soon, although I doubt it'll go the same way as Zimbabwe. I just want to get out while I can, before I have rug-rats and a family to contend with.

Anyone want to employ a foreign electrical engineer with 3 years experience in the banking sector? :lol:
---------- ADS -----------
 
Gravity sucks.
Gravity never loses, the best you can hope for is a draw.
longjon
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 723
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:35 pm

Re: Hello

Post by longjon »

Check out the University in St.Johns's in the fine province Newfoundland. Memorial U I think it is. It may have the Marine enviroment your better half is looking for.

It is a place you can afford to live and the people are fantastic. Not sure if you'll find work though or if you'll be able to fly due to the fog.

The East coast of Canada is sort of a world of its own, a better world, and NFLD is in itself a unique place with fantastic people. Its called "The Rock" and you have to experience it to understand.
---------- ADS -----------
 
itismedd
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 89
Joined: Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:59 am

Re: Hello

Post by itismedd »

Nova Scotia is a good spot too if you are looking for a lower cost of living. Not sure about the electrical engineering demand or marine biology. I work with a few of guys from S Africa.....their a good bunch. They almost tore the place apart when South Africa won the world cup. Good luck and I hope you find what your looking for in Canada.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Etienne
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:11 am
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa

Re: Hello

Post by Etienne »

Thanks for the advice guys, it's much appreciated!

The very first thing I need is an offer for work. A work permit takes about 6-8 months to organise after the offer is cleared to be filled by a foreigner, which is a bit of a nuisance considering very few employees that I can think of will be prepared to wait 6-8 months before you start working...

Anyway, once I get this elusive offer and a work permit, that will pretty much determine where I will look to settle, and the other requirements will have to work around that. Alternatively, if I have a choice of offers ( :smt038 :smt044 ) then the priority for me will be on where my better half gets accepted, otherwise I spend a whole bunch of time travelling!
---------- ADS -----------
 
Gravity sucks.
Gravity never loses, the best you can hope for is a draw.
Etienne
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:11 am
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa

Re: Hello

Post by Etienne »

Ok, so after a bit more noodling around and sniffing the air, Toronto is also a possibility... Looking at the thermo maps I have, it seems as though it's a good 10degC colder on average than Vancouver. What's it like to live there? Cheaper, more expensive? Predominant language? Small city or sprawling metropolis?
---------- ADS -----------
 
Gravity sucks.
Gravity never loses, the best you can hope for is a draw.
User avatar
Driving Rain
Rank 10
Rank 10
Posts: 2696
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2004 5:10 pm
Location: At a Tanker Base near you.
Contact:

Re: Hello

Post by Driving Rain »

Etienne wrote:Ok, so after a bit more noodling around and sniffing the air, Toronto is also a possibility... Looking at the thermo maps I have, it seems as though it's a good 10degC colder on average than Vancouver. What's it like to live there? Cheaper, more expensive? Predominant language? Small city or sprawling metropolis?
Toronto is Canada's largest city by far. It is a huge spralling city. Home prices are through the roof. The suburbs are no different. Some things about Toronto they never put in the tourist books. Canadians love to hate it. It's the most multi-ethnic population in the world.
Canada is a Confederation not a Federation. What that means is each of the 10 provinces is like a country unto itself. Canadians love to hate each others provinces and cities. Toronto being the largest is branded the worst. The only thing we have in common is we all spend the same coloured bits of paper and we like hockey. You won't like hockey because you won't understand it but your kids will take up the sport if they are young enough when you come.

Ontario is divided unoffically into two main areas Southern Ontario where all the political power resides and the larger area called Northern Ontario where all the have-nots reside.
North Eastern Ontario is divided along three cultural lines. English, French, and Natives or Metis. North Western Ontario is mainly English, Native Ojibway , Cree or Ojicree.
Northern Ontario sends raw materials from mines and forest to southern Ontario to be manufactured into something. Southern Ontario is the industrial engine for much of Canada.
Northern Ontario is going through some very lean times because most of the towns are one industry pulp and paper based and all the mills are closing down. Unemployment is high property prices are low so are opportunities for most.

Southern Ontario is also an agriculural area with lots of varied farming and farm towns. It like South Afria has a wine making region south and south west of Hamilton (Ontario's second largest city nic name Steel Town)
Farm produces prices are very good now and the area is doing very well. It has a large fruit growing areas too. Apples from Collingwood and Owen Sound area to the north of Toronto and peaches to the west and south to the American border. In fact Ontario is the only place in the world that can lay claim to having peaches and polar bears within it's geographical boundries. Housing prices drop dramtically the farther you get from Toronto. Winters are chilly summers are hot and muggy over much of the southern areas of the province. Fall and spring are beautiful.
Vancouver and the south western BC area is very wet in the winter. It's not unsual to get 40 days of rain, at least you don't have to shovel snow but man that can be very depressing. Southern BC's Okanogan valley has without a doubt the best weather in the country. Housing prices reflect this too. Most Canadians embrace winter, they get out and enjoy it. If you move here that's what your going to have to do or you will be miserable for much of the time.
For the record, I don't favour one area of Canada over another. Each province and city brings a uniqueness to the cultural mosaic that is Canada.
The predominate geographical feature of Canada is the precambrian shield. We call it the Canadian Shield. That's rocks, trees and lakes to you and me. It starts about 120 km north of Toronto and extends 1800 km in Ontario to the Manitoba boundry. From there it goes northwestward to take in northern Manitoba, Nunivut, Northwest Territories. It takes in most of northern Quebec also. We have a saying in Kenora the last city before Manitoba. It goes like this. By the time you hit Kenora you don't want to see no more a, Rocks and Trees, Trees and Rocks.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Etienne
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:11 am
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa

Re: Hello

Post by Etienne »

Wow, thanks for the long and detailed reply! That's very helpful :D

Another question: what is the public transport like around the cities? In SA, it's pretty much non-existent, or unusable, so almost everyone commutes by car. If I were to stay in say Guelph, would it be feasible to commute to Toronto using public transport? If not, then by car?

I currently commute about an hour to work and the same back home again, on flexi-time. If I were to be at work at 8am and leave at 5pm, it'd be a 90min journey in each direction...
---------- ADS -----------
 
Gravity sucks.
Gravity never loses, the best you can hope for is a draw.
User avatar
Driving Rain
Rank 10
Rank 10
Posts: 2696
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2004 5:10 pm
Location: At a Tanker Base near you.
Contact:

Re: Hello

Post by Driving Rain »

Etienne wrote:Wow, thanks for the long and detailed reply! That's very helpful :D

Another question: what is the public transport like around the cities? In SA, it's pretty much non-existent, or unusable, so almost everyone commutes by car. If I were to stay in say Guelph, would it be feasible to commute to Toronto using public transport? If not, then by car?

I currently commute about an hour to work and the same back home again, on flexi-time. If I were to be at work at 8am and leave at 5pm, it'd be a 90min journey in each direction...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GO_Transit

It could be better but I use it when I go there.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Etienne
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:11 am
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa

Re: Hello

Post by Etienne »

Driving Rain wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GO_Transit

It could be better but I use it when I go there.
I already read through that... Just wondering what it was actually like from a passenger's perspective :D

Thanks!
---------- ADS -----------
 
Gravity sucks.
Gravity never loses, the best you can hope for is a draw.
User avatar
Driving Rain
Rank 10
Rank 10
Posts: 2696
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2004 5:10 pm
Location: At a Tanker Base near you.
Contact:

Re: Hello

Post by Driving Rain »

The cars (carriages) are nice clean. In fact the TTC and the Go system stations are clean and safe. I've never ridin the buses, only Go train, Subway and Street Cars of the TTC. The Steet Cars during rush hour are crowded and standing room or full so I always avoided them during peek times. My kid was riding the GO Buses from Milton and he says they aren't too bad. Beats driving that's for sure. He would drive in from London and park in Milton kind of like your Guelph idea. The Go Buses reach out to Guelph now. All the stations I've seen have large car parking lots so that's never a problem.
It really is a shame but southern Ontario had a great electric radial rail system fanning out from Toronto that they let fall into disuse as General Motors bought them up and ran them into the ground and the personel car came into widespread use, giving us grid-lock and super highways that don't work and pollution. It would be great to have it now.
http://www.trainweb.org/elso/
---------- ADS -----------
 
longjon
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 723
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:35 pm

Re: Hello

Post by longjon »

If you want to work your trade as a Electrical Engineer have a look at the Edmonton Journal
Something about 23 $$ Billion being spent on construction of oil upgraders over the next few years.

You might find a job there and not have to live in Toronto.

The West is Best.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Etienne
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:11 am
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa

Re: Hello

Post by Etienne »

longjon wrote:If you want to work your trade as a Electrical Engineer have a look at the Edmonton Journal
Something about 23 $$ Billion being spent on construction of oil upgraders over the next few years.

You might find a job there and not have to live in Toronto.

The West is Best.
I'll definitely have a look - thankyou :D

I'm not sure about working with an oil company though, my better half is a conservationist, and I think I'd probably spend the rest of my life on the couch!! :lol: :lol:

I'm keen for a career change, and if I can get a job as an engineer rather than an IT person I'll jump at it. However not having any experience in the engineering field might make it very difficult, hence my concentration on the banking field for the time being. I will look in the journal though, that's a search area I hadn't considered! Thankyou :D
---------- ADS -----------
 
Gravity sucks.
Gravity never loses, the best you can hope for is a draw.
User avatar
Driving Rain
Rank 10
Rank 10
Posts: 2696
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2004 5:10 pm
Location: At a Tanker Base near you.
Contact:

Re: Hello

Post by Driving Rain »

Etienne, as an electrical engineer who is wise in the banking ways perhaps a new calling in the investment opportunities field with a brokerage/mutual funds companies would up you ally. Your three callings, engineer, banker and aviation would give you an edge.

http://ca.dir.yahoo.com/Regional/Countr ... nvestment/

cheers
---------- ADS -----------
 
Locked

Return to “The Water Cooler”