Wilderness North Air Tractor

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

Rudy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Rudy »

Well if the natives barracade the winter road to Victor Camp there will be more fuel hauling work than we can imagine.

PS. Has anyone been offered the job? Anyone know what kind of experience they want?
---------- ADS -----------

Oil Burner
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Oil Burner »

They would like lots of tailwheel time, turbine time, and bush time. No crashes are an asset as well. :D It sounds like a fantastic job, no passengers, no freight, and free nomex :lol:

carholme
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: Wilderness North Air Tractor

Post by carholme »

Apparently the latest is Wilderness North have their fuel tanks set up at Red Lake and were to start flying but have had to remove their engine for repair. As you will see from the link to Conair where the modifcations were done, this a/c will be flying with 1000 gals of tanker fuel, The interesting thing is that they are going to operate day and night VFR to northern reserves. The night VFR should prove to be quite interesting. Would be interested to see how many takers there will be for the night trips.

http://www.airtractor.com/at-802-bulk-fuel-tanker

carholme

Blue Side Down
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Blue Side Down »

It's threads like these that remind me why I come to avcanada for entertainment-

...this page's midsection about had me on the floor :lol: Nicely proved Flybabe

PA-18
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by PA-18 »

Wilderness North is operating the air tractor out of red. I'm pretty sure there going up to fort hope alot .They have had it for a year now I think and it operates on wheels.

Oil Burner
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Oil Burner »

I think they are looking for camp workers who want to fly part-time :roll:

MAD DOGGY
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by MAD DOGGY »

There are two companies in NW ontario operating them. One outta Red Lake and the other outta Pickle Lake. They are from two seperate companies that are also competing with the Hawkers. They mostly fly to Sandy Lake, North Spirit and Lansdowne House.The longer trips are still owned by Wasaya plus they have the Weibenville strip. They take more than 5mins. to fill, but about 10mins. to drain with a pump they carry in a small cargo are under the pilot section of the fuselage. Looks like fun to fly!

Man up to it ; Git 'r Dun !
ODA
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ODA »

So it hauls 4000 litres of fuel and how much a mile does it cost? Can it go on floats and haul fuel?

rum-runner
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by rum-runner »

ODA wrote:So it hauls 4000 litres of fuel and how much a mile does it cost? Can it go on floats and haul fuel?
NO

Liquid Charlie
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Liquid Charlie »

My only comment is why are they using an airplane that hauls so little - Oh ya -- the ontario gov in their wisdom build 3500' strips -- damn u think it would make more sense to haul 25000 ltrs at time -- add 1000' to those runways and no one would ever worry about running out of fuel.

Black Air has no Lift - Extra Fuel has no Weight

ACTPA :kriz:
carholme
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by carholme »

I'm still waiting to see what you guys think of the night VFR in that part of the country.

carholme

rum-runner
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by rum-runner »

Liquid Charlie wrote:My only comment is why are they using an airplane that hauls so little - Oh ya -- the ontario gov in their wisdom build 3500' strips -- damn u think it would make more sense to haul 25000 ltrs at time -- add 1000' to those runways and no one would ever worry about running out of fuel.
What aircraft are you using for fuel hauls? 25000 ltrs is 5500 gallons that is a pretty
good load.

Liquid Charlie
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Liquid Charlie »

Pretty good indeed and with a 4in hose can be unloaded in 17 minutes :mrgreen:

Black Air has no Lift - Extra Fuel has no Weight

ACTPA :kriz:
Fuel Boss Hog
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Fuel Boss Hog »

The interesting thing is that they are going to operate day and night VFR to northern reserves. The night VFR should prove to be quite interesting. Would be interested to see how many takers there will be for the night trips.

http://www.airtractor.com/at-802-bulk-fuel-tanker

carholme[/quote]

They have 3 "takers".....it's an awesome position and aircraft.

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

What does it have for instrumentation?

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
Rudder Bug
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Rudder Bug »

But why at night? I know there are takers but ,hey, that's a single on wheels if I understand right. Who's poor enough to make a living out of flying a single, non-factory made, night VFR in NWO, and loaded like a mule with fuel? I know, a turbine never fails but I'd chicken out.

Flying an aircraft and building a guitar are two things that are easy to do bad and difficult to do right

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Yd_QppdGks
bandit1
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by bandit1 »

It's not a job for everyone but it ain't worse than the boys flying DC-3's 24/7 all over the place at night.

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

It's not a job for everyone but it ain't worse than the boys flying DC-3's 24/7 all over the place at night.
I can remember losing an engine a couple of times at night in a DC3 and the other one got me to an airport.

I wonder if it would have been worse if I didn't have that other engine?

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
nacho
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by nacho »

I went for an interview and was offered the job, but I didn´t think there was enough money in it for the risk envolved as they don´t have a dump handle anymore. the mods include a jettison system and it takes too long in my opinion. they can haul 1000 gallons.
That is the reason why they dont have the Transland gate anymore

I just delivered a Thrush here in Argentina and was always carrying a full hopper of jet(500 gallons) BUT you bet my dump handle was in good working order !!

Landing one of these with a full load is not a big deal, but one needs a bit of practice.(and power !!)

If you loose it on take off or landing and need to dump, you ae pretty much fu$%ed.

My 2 cents.......

kingeddie
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kingeddie »

Many OCs have the OPS Spec for night VFR under aerial work , The question is are they actually using it? I fly single engine night VFR in NW Ont all the time no big deal if you are trained and capable and the aircraft is equipped .. However we must hold a valid IFR to do so (company rule) . 90 percent of the time truthfully you are IFR . Not something a newbie would want to do . In the summer its light until 11 at times and unless they are double crewed that doesn't leave alot of night to fly in .

Feel free to freak out about night VFR now
KE

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”