Air Force Types, question for any of you.

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

invertedattitude
Rank 10
Rank 10

Air Force Types, question for any of you.

Post by invertedattitude »

Hey, any Air Force pilots or crews out there, I'm interested in the Air Force Reserve and what oppertunities if any exist for someone like myself. (Commercial rated) I'm not following my career as a pilot full-time since I'm an ATC now, but wondering about being able to serve part-time in the Air Force, the website says it is possible but doesn't go into a lot of detail.

Thanks in advance.
---------- ADS -----------

SAR_YQQ
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Air Force Types, question for any of you.

Post by SAR_YQQ »

What are you interested in doing in the Airforce Reserve? Where do you live?

TheCheez
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by TheCheez »

I think it will really depend what city you're in and how much experience you've got. For instance Montreal, Winnipeg and Edmonton all have units with reserve pilot spots and there's more I'm sure but I'm not exactly sure where.

Unfortunately with just a commercial, I'm assuming you have low time, they might not take you. Best way to find out is see if there's an air force reserve in your city, and talk to them directly. Regular recruiting centres dont handle reserve recruiting but they would at least know whats available locally.

CLguy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CLguy »

If you don't have any previous military experience you can forget it!

You Can Love An Airplane All You Want, But Remember, It Will Never Love You Back!
TheCheez
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by TheCheez »

CLguy wrote:If you don't have any previous military experience you can forget it!
Yea I think that's about right but I dont know for sure. Rotary might have a shot?

SAR_YQQ
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by SAR_YQQ »

If you have your commercial helicopter license with mucho hours - you can apply to the TacHel units at Montreal, Borden and Edmonton.

If you are an ATPL rated pilot with time on a Dash-8 (Q series) - you might have a chance getting on to a Gonzo in Winnipeg.

invertedattitude
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by invertedattitude »

Ok, check all the comments. I'll talk to them.

The closest base to me is Gagetown, and from what I've read there are reserve guys flying Griffons there, it can't hurt to do some talking to them I suppose.

I just read an article on a reserve pilot from Gagetown who is now qualified as a SAR pilot on the Cormorant.

If they won't take me that's fine, can't hurt to find out.

Thanks all.

MyMeowCat
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by MyMeowCat »

I tried the Regular Force (Reg. Force) Army thing for helicopter but ended up being Army Engineers Reserve instead back around 1991 -- back then anyways:

1) The normal recruitment center did handle reserve and Reg Force applicants. Asked about actually learning to fly -- they wanted a 4 year commitment and you had to go through officers training...appareantly only officers can fly. In their mind -- you are first an officer and secondly a pilot (if you get that far).

2) They expected for (Army guys anyways) to go through 2 months of full time basic training -- ask your recruiter about expected time off from your ATC work. Some units in Canada back then -- gave you the option of doing your basic training part-time. Although they steered me into Army Engineering -- 1 month was basic infantry (foot soldier) and 1 month was Army Engineering. In other words at least half of what you'll go through is like the movie "Full Metal Jacket". But once you get out of basic training -- things are much more "slack".

3) When I got out of basic training -- I found only about 1/4 of the guys showed up on the regular 2 days per week minimum back then -- but they wouldn't kick people just to keep their rank numbers high (ie more budget -- more people on the list=more money and equipment). You also have the option to quit anytime.

4) Remember that the recruiter wants to recruit you just like a salesperson wants to sell you something...especially if there's a war going on.

MyMeowCat :evil:

gryphon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by gryphon »

There are 2 reserve slots on the Cormorant...one in Comox (SAR YQQ....is he actually flying/teaching at the school or working ops? Haven't talked to him in a long while). The other reserve flying position is in Gander.

AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

SAR_YQQ wrote:If you have your commercial helicopter license with mucho hours - you can apply to the TacHel units at Montreal, Borden and Edmonton.

If you are an ATPL rated pilot with time on a Dash-8 (Q series) - you might have a chance getting on to a Gonzo in Winnipeg.
SAR_YQQ, recently, one guy got onto the Gonzo with low time (no ATPL), no Dash 8 Time and no military experience (he's a controller in YWG I believe)

AuxBatOn

Going for the deck at corner
SAR_YQQ
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by SAR_YQQ »

gryphon wrote:is he actually flying/teaching at the school or working ops?
All of our Shag aircrew are flying - we do have a recently retired RegF now PRes pilot that is at the school.

Return to “General Comments”