Question from the PSTAR

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Ref Plus 10
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Question from the PSTAR

Post by Ref Plus 10 »

---------- ADS -----------

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

You shouldn't have posted that because TC will hire those guys to write new exams if they read this.

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
Ref Plus 10
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Ref Plus 10 »

In that case, at least some of the ZBB students would have it a little easier...and the questions would be CLEARLY fu.ked up, not just muddled

AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

Here's from the AIM:
Upon receipt of a normal taxi authorization, a pilot is expected to proceed to the taxi-holding position for the runway assigned for takeoff. If a pilot is required to cross any runway while taxiing towards the departure runway, the ground or airport controller will issue a specific instruction to cross or hold short. If a specific authorization to cross was not received, pilots should hold short and request authorization to cross the runway.
So, given that question, we can eighter assume that the pilot was given the clearance to cross (as it is expected from controllers) or he was not given the clearance to cross nor the instruction to hold short. In case #1, answer 1 is correct. In case #2, answer 4 is correct.

In Canada, you need a specific clearance to cross any runway (not only active runways). In the States, it's a little different. If they tell you "Taxi C hold short 36" and you have to cross 31 in the process, well you are cleared to go ahead and cross 31. They will tell you to hold short if they want you to.

Clear as mud?

AuxBatOn

Going for the deck at corner
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by 767 »

the answer is 1.. i can answer the question without reading the question.. its the PSTAR!! :)

Never buy 1$ tickets
quicksilver
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by quicksilver »

Sorry you got it wrong but who cares. You know what to do, all of you know how to taxi and what the differences are in clearance, so stop pissing on each other.

Flyingdan, welcome to the world of canadian aviation written exams. Wait until you have to write the PPL, the most poorly worded questions in the world. Then there is the CPL, and finally the ATP's. All have some questions that, after reading, leave you scratching your head. Not because you don't know the answer but because you don't even know what they're asking!

I recently received a new copy of my license in the mail, on the back it says: LANGUAGE PROFICIENCY - ENGLISH

I believe the think I'm proficient because I was able to stumble my way through the written exams.

swixtt
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by swixtt »

hey guys,
sorry to bring this up again??:( ummm i just did an online test of the Pstar (not the actual Pstar) and the answer they give is (4) ...hold short.
is the answer really (1) ..to the runway in use?

_dwj_
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by _dwj_ »

swixtt wrote:hey guys,
sorry to bring this up again??:( ummm i just did an online test of the Pstar (not the actual Pstar) and the answer they give is (4) ...hold short.
is the answer really (1) ..to the runway in use?
I think the most correct answer is [4], and that seems to be what most of the flying schools use.

Answer [4] implies that you hold short, and answer [1] implies that you get clearance to cross the other runways, so neither answer is fully correct.

square
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by square »

Talk to the controllers all you damn well please, that's what they're there for.

swixtt
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by swixtt »

well, i went to write the exam and that one wasn't even on it. haa

got the radio one done too.

on to the next part now!!

Return to “Flight Training”