Gear up landings - why not try the grass?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Lommer
Rank 7
Rank 7

Gear up landings - why not try the grass?

Post by Lommer »

Hi all, I was watching videos on youtube when I caught this one of an Aussie P-51 doing a gear up landing. He couldn't get any of the gears to come down, so he burned off fuel while emergency services prepared; then belly-slid it in on the grass. The apparent lack of damage is amazing, which got me to thinking, why don't pilots with gear failures belly-land on the grass more often? On a single with the prop fx'd this would seem to be even preferable to landing on one main and the nose gear, or sans nose gear. Even on a twin would (maybe) saving one prop from impacting the ground be worth landing on two gears on pavement?

It seems like a good option to me - no sparks off the concrete and (maybe) less airframe damage. What am I missing?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ze2nEipD ... re=related
---------- ADS -----------

AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Gear up landings - why not try the grass?

Post by AuxBatOn »

A good reason not to land on the grass is the fact that grass isn't usually level and even, as opposed to a concrete runway. If your aircraft has a higher landing speed, it might make it thumble around.

AuxBatOn

Going for the deck at corner
sissyphus
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sissyphus »

Insurance companies may not insure you if you take action against the checklist.

The mouth is the anus of the mind.
It's the Pitts
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by It's the Pitts »

This is a good question. Some peoples thinking behind this idea is that if you land on turf you don't know what is there for certain eg. drainage systems, ect. As for landing on the runway, you know that it's level and clear. In the event that you needed to have a fire put out, the fire trucks would be following you and would be able to drive right up to you and hopefully put it out saving your life.

Pitts :lol:

You got the Nod for the Sod
tired of the ground
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by tired of the ground »

As soon as you have an emergency you no longer own the aircraft. Once you decide you have an emergency the insurance company automatically buys the aircraft; That's what all that paperwork you had to sign was, a purchase agreement for a possible later date. At the end of it all, you then have the option to buy back the aircraft for zero dollars. If you no longer appreciate the condition of said aircraft, insurance will purchase you another one.

If you ever call an auto insurance company to tell them that you were in an accident, the first thing they will ask is if everyone is alright. They couldn't give a crap personally, they just know it's way cheaper to fix metal than flesh.

All this is a roundabout way of saying F_ck the airplane and save your ass.

The Mole
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by The Mole »

Minimize the deceleration trauma.

. ._
Top Poster
Top Poster
Location: Cowering in my little room because the Water Cooler is locked.

Post by . ._ »

I wish I could land that smooth WITH wheels!

Looks like a job well done, all things considered.

-istp :smt023

bmc
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by bmc »

istp wrote:I wish I could land that smooth WITH wheels!

-istp :smt023
You seem to be able to walk away from them and log onto Avcanada.

bmc
bobcaygeon
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by bobcaygeon »

Metroliner AFM specifically recommends not landing on grass as historically it causes more damage.

groundtoflightdeck
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by groundtoflightdeck »

"As soon as you have an emergency you no longer own the aircraft. Once you decide you have an emergency the insurance company automatically buys the aircraft"
Not sure about this... are you suggesting that if I have an engine flame out for some reason and declare an emergency, the insurance company owns the aircraft? I think the insurance company buys the aircraft when you make a claim and they agree with the paper work before that- I've seen plenty of aircraft in dsitress make it to the ground just fine.

On the subject of gear unsafe landings, our AOM says that its "preferrable" to land with the available gear rather than a belly landing

foxmoth
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by foxmoth »

some afms recomend runway, avoid grass.
2 feathered props support aircraft weight most of the run, stops amount of damage. props could dig into turf, flip plane. Amazing results, if done right. Worry about all else once your ass is safe on tthe ground.

2R
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by 2R »

Most retractable aircraft especially mooneys /piper arrows have skid plates .And will slide nicely on pavement to a nice slow decelerated stop .The big danger of landing on grass is digging in on one side and the rapid shock loads impossed by a sudden stop on the airframe which may be transferred to the occupants with fatal results as most people do not have boxers necks and you may just break your neck in the spinning stop .
That guy done great job landing .But if a wing dropped it may have had a different ending .The grass may have less friction than the pavement but the danger of digging in i would prefer the slow slong slide on the runwway as there is less chance of rapid changes in direction and the loads impossed on the human frame by the shock loading .The body can withstand quite afew G's if applied slowly but rapid g loading is often fatal .
Most deaths in Spits/Hurricanes were on take off and landing on grass fields in WW2 . Snag a field drain your next meal may be through a tube if you are lucky.

Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Doc »

"Grass" tends to grow on turf. Dirt. etc. With the wheels are up, "things" that don't normally come in contact will. These "things" hanging down tend to dig into turf, causing a whole bunch of damage, while pavement just tends to "file" them smooth.

Lommer
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Lommer »

12 excellent responses that more than adequately answer my question - this is why I read avcanada.
Thanks guys.

tired of the ground
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by tired of the ground »

groundtoflightdeck - I was just telling it in simple terms. People tend to think about the aircraft as "THEIR" aircraft and they have to save "THEIR" investment because it will cost "THEM" so much money if they prang something. Really what I was saying is that you should do whatever is necessary to save lives/prevent injury and not worry about the condition of the aircraft.

People talk about feathering both props and popping the starter until the props are horizontal if they are going to gear it up. While they are so concerned with saving 60g's worth of engine overhaul they destroy the aircraft and kill people. This is why I say that the insurance company now owns the aircraft. If people are now not worried about their pocketbook because the insurance will take care of it they won't try ridiculous things to save the aircraft and will just do what is safest for the pax.

Four1oh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Four1oh »

I was taught that the grass will tear the bottom off your plane, and the runway will only make skid marks and some sparks.

Drinking outside the box.
RatherBeFlying
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by RatherBeFlying »

By landing on grass wheels up, you're making a big bet that no part of the airframe will get snagged by a soft spot, groundhog hole, drain... then dig in and cartwheel or noseover the aircraft with concommitant danger to life and limb of the occupants.

Glider pilots do sometimes choose to land out gear up because the wind or field length compels landing across ditches or furrows, but they're lighter, don't usually have bits dangling below that might snag on something and can get down to around 25 kt. in ground effect before touchdown.

Lurch
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Lurch »

i think he would have been better off on the runway

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=883_1210112990

Take my love
Take my land
Take me where I cannot stand
I don't care
I'm still free
You cannot take the sky from me

Return to “General Comments”