Landing on multiple runways?

This forum has been developed to discuss ATS related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

bigfssguy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Landing on multiple runways?

Post by bigfssguy »

Hey i have a question for any controllers out there but the winnipeg guys in particular. I went down to winnipeg a weeks ago and i we were landing on 18 i believe and there was another plane landing on the other runway at the same time. We slowed held short and the other plane a PC 12 went zooming by. Is this a common practice? I've never seen it happen before i thought it was kinda neat to see. I could see him lined up the whole way coming in. Thanks
---------- ADS -----------

FSS: puting the Service back in Flight Services....
avfun
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Landing on multiple runways?

Post by avfun »

It's called Land And Hold Short Operations (LAHSO) and is frequently used in Winnipeg, particularly when 18 is active, due to the length of runway available before crossing 13/31 (as well, terminal doesn't have the same options for building in spacing between arrivals when all the arriving aircraft are basically straight-in from the north).

It can work the other way as well, with someone landing 13/31 holding short of 18, but obviously there's a lot less runway available for the stopping aircraft there (about 4000ft on 13/31 vs 7000ft on 18), so fewer aircraft types are allowed to do it. Every aircraft is classified into a Stop Group (by Transport, or at least the information is published by Transport) based on the amount of runway it can safely stop in on a bare and dry or bare and wet runway, and only certain stop groups are valid on each runway.

Both pilots have to agree to participate, and both pilots must be told of the other aircraft. It can also be used to accomodate departures, with a lander holding short of a runway with an aircraft departing on it.

Jerricho
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Jerricho »

LAHSO is a crutch.............. :rolleyes:

avfun
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by avfun »

That does seem to be the opinion of some ;)

It's a tool in the box, as long as it's there, I'll happily use it if it helps move traffic :D

ywg-atc
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ywg-atc »

A crutch like 6 miles in trail spacing?

bigfssguy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by bigfssguy »

It was still pretty cool on my end, i can see the plane ouit the window, i know the runways intersect. In mu mind i wonder "did the controllers screw up" Then we land and hold short then i realize.....OF COURSE.....ATC never screws up !! LOL, just playing boys!

FSS: puting the Service back in Flight Services....
ATCn00b
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ATCn00b »

Jerricho wrote:LAHSO is a crutch.............. :rolleyes:
i disagree. LAHSO, like many other options is just another tool to be used at the right time, under the right cicumstances. How can you say it's a crutch when it can actually speed up the flow of traffic and thus save time and money for all?

Jerricho
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Jerricho »

An inability to spot when someone is being a little facetious is also a crutch :smt110 See that smiley at the end????

You mention using at the right time and right circumstances..............is dropping it unexpectedly on a pilot on a visual approach not many miles from the airport one of these right circumstances? A preplanned use, yes. A last minute "life save", not so much. Plus a 6 mile gap behind the LAHSO? Sheeeet, you could get 3 Metros in there all following each other.

Last edited by Jerricho on Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ATCn00b
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ATCn00b »

where did that comment come from, have a bad day today?
I said used at the right time under the right circumstances, not whipped out at the last minute to solve some problem i have created. Is this how you use it and thus why it's a crutch for you?

Jerricho
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Jerricho »

Wow, I find it humorous you feel what I'm typing applies to YOU. Striking a little close to the bone there?

The last minute situation I describe above is exactly why I say somewhat tongue in cheek it is a crutch when used as a last gasp "Oh sh*t!" with an aircraft shortish final.

It's all right, you'll learn.

ATCn00b
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ATCn00b »

In no way do i think what you are saying applies to me. Doesn't strike close to home at all, i am more than confident with my abilities.
As far as your comment "you'll learn" that does. So elaborate please. What are you implying?

Jerricho
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Jerricho »

A simple observation is made as to when "the crutch" is being used as such, and my thoughts on the matter. Obviously you need a little help with what I meant by "A preplanned use, yes. A last minute "life save", not so much.".

As to
ATCn00b wrote:As far as your comment "you'll learn" that does. So elaborate please. What are you implying?
You learn that trying to argue on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics.............

KAFUFO
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by KAFUFO »

LAHSO is a crutch.............. :rolleyes:
PLEASE don't say anything that will cause the users of YWG atc get even worse service than we already do:lol:

Jerricho
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Jerricho »

I'm watching you KAF.........

At least say "Hi!" next time you're on the freq. :smt082

KAFUFO
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by KAFUFO »

Hate for you to know whick company I work for :oops:

AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

Last edited by AuxBatOn on Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Going for the deck at corner
KAFUFO
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by KAFUFO »

WTF?

Jerricho
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Jerricho »

KAFUFO wrote:Hate for you to know whick company I work for :oops:

Oh, I know..............

Topspin
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Topspin »

Jerricho wrote:An inability to spot when someone is being a little facetious is also a crutch :smt110 See that smiley at the end????

You mention using at the right time and right circumstances..............is dropping it unexpectedly on a pilot on a visual approach not many miles from the airport one of these right circumstances? A preplanned use, yes. A last minute "life save", not so much. Plus a 6 mile gap behind the LAHSO? Sheeeet, you could get 3 Metros in there all following each other.
Are you suggesting that ATC are not human beings and don't make mistakes or miss things from time to time? I'm glad that it exists, what's preferable, LAHSO or go around?

Jerricho
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Jerricho »

Yes, that's exactly what I'm suggesting (NOTE - THIS IS SARCASM. Perhaps you've heard of it). Obviously the word "crutch" is an ultra, ultra, superbad thing.

My point (I'l spell it out in simple words), is that as nOOb so eloquently put, in the right, preplanned situation, it is a useful procedure. If it's sprung on a pilot at the last minute (especially one on a visual that has kept him/herself a little higher), ATC has now altered the stability of the approach. Sure, it may save a go-around, but what sort of questions would be asked if in the rush, the pilot agrees and still goes through the intersection. If you don't have a problem with throwing it unexpectedly at a pilot in a farily critical phase of flight, that's fine by me. Kind of like a last minute runway change......pilots love that too.

(I'm sure this last observation will now transpire into "Well, the pilot shouldn't have accepted the LAHSO, so it would totally be his fault")

Return to “ATS Question Forum”