Piaggio incident report is out

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Piaggio incident report is out

Post by pelmet »

---------- ADS -----------

Four1oh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Piaggio incident report is out

Post by Four1oh »

the I-didn't-know explanation. So for something as important as landing technique, either they were poorly trained to operate the aircraft, or were making excuses. I'd say that's a pretty major piece of information to know.

Drinking outside the box.
DragEraser
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by DragEraser »

I myself have over 1300 hours command in the P180 and was trained by the same piaggio aero TEST pilots. That was the procedure. Engage steering on the roll-out below 60kts. When does the landing phase end and the taxi phase begin? Four1oh? :prayer:

airway
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by airway »

DragEraser wrote:I myself have over 1300 hours command in the P180 and was trained by the same piaggio aero TEST pilots. That was the procedure. Engage steering on the roll-out below 60kts. When does the landing phase end and the taxi phase begin? Four1oh? :prayer:
I would agree that there is no hard number for maximum taxi speed, but I would also bet that 99% of pilots would say for them, it's below 30 kts.

Turkey
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Turkey »

Ya. I haven't done a lot of taxiing at 60 knots myself. Someone might want to rething their logic there. I can understand the want to follow the test pilot's techniques, but maybe don't do so in contradiction of the AFM. I can't see too many insurance companies backing someone on that one...

The inability to follow does not necessarily a great leader make.
Four1oh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Four1oh »

DragEraser wrote:I myself have over 1300 hours command in the P180 and was trained by the same piaggio aero TEST pilots. That was the procedure. Engage steering on the roll-out below 60kts. When does the landing phase end and the taxi phase begin? Four1oh? :prayer:

quote from the report:"The Pilot's Operating Handbook (POH) states that "Steering engagement during landing is prohibited.""

so, you tell me Mr. Piaggio expert? :prayer:

As for what's a taxi speed, high speed exits are designed to be taken at 40 kts. I guarantee you that's no taxi speed for the majority of us. On the Boeing we're instructed not to touch the tiller above 20 kts taxi speed. Above that we're on the rudder pedals to steer. Hope that helps, and hope you got'er caged now, bud.

Four1oh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Four1oh »

Turkey wrote:Ya. I haven't done a lot of taxiing at 60 knots myself. Someone might want to rething their logic there. I can understand the want to follow the test pilot's techniques, but maybe don't do so in contradiction of the AFM. I can't see too many insurance companies backing someone on that one...
I don't think I even step-taxied a float plane at those speeds...

ch135146
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by ch135146 »

FWIW, to me, you don't use nws on roll-out if the flight controls are doing the job. Generally speaking, of course...

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

[quote]As for what's a taxi speed, high speed exits are designed to be taken at 40 kts.[/quote]

Designed for60 knots I would say.

AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

pelmet wrote:
As for what's a taxi speed, high speed exits are designed to be taken at 40 kts.

Do you need NWS to taxi off????

Going for the deck at corner
Four1oh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Four1oh »

AuxBatOn wrote:
pelmet wrote:
As for what's a taxi speed, high speed exits are designed to be taken at 40 kts.

Do you need NWS to taxi off????
not on a boeing. Like I said, no need for the tiller above 20 kts unless you're making a high angle turn, and then above 20kts is too fast. as for 40 kts vs 60 kts on a high speed, you may be right, pelmet, but that's faster than I'd like to take them at. i'll look it up.

Four1oh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Four1oh »

FWIW this is what I found:

http://www.tc.gc.ca/CivilAviation/RegSe ... sary/h.htm

high speed exit

Other expression for: high speed taxiway

high speed taxiway

A long-radius taxiway designed and provided with lighting or marking to define the path of aircraft, travelling at high speed (up to 60 kt), from the runway centre to a point on the centre of a taxiway. The high speed taxiway is designed to expedite aircraft turning off the runway after landing, thus reducing runway occupancy time.

* also called: high speed exit, high speed turnoff, long radius exit, rapid exit taxiway and turnoff taxiway

Fr: voie de sortie rapide

note that it says "up to 60 kts".

airway
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by airway »

Do you need nose wheel steering to turn off on a high speed exit in a P180?

WS739
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WS739 »

No there are two modes on the piaggio. Taxi and Takeoff.............Taxi mode just increases the sensitivity.

AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

WS739 wrote:No there are two modes on the piaggio. Taxi and Takeoff.............Taxi mode just increases the sensitivity.
What about differential braking?

Going for the deck at corner
Cold_Lake_Hvy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Cold_Lake_Hvy »

Four1oh wrote: not on a boeing. Like I said, no need for the tiller above 20 kts unless you're making a high angle turn, and then above 20kts is too fast. as for 40 kts vs 60 kts on a high speed, you may be right, pelmet, but that's faster than I'd like to take them at. i'll look it up.

MOMO!!! is that you? are you just playing with these kids?

I thought we settled this issue back on alpha in Kai Tak? Or was it Incheon?

Four1oh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Four1oh »

Cold_Lake_Hvy wrote:
Four1oh wrote: not on a boeing. Like I said, no need for the tiller above 20 kts unless you're making a high angle turn, and then above 20kts is too fast. as for 40 kts vs 60 kts on a high speed, you may be right, pelmet, but that's faster than I'd like to take them at. i'll look it up.

MOMO!!! is that you? are you just playing with these kids?

I thought we settled this issue back on alpha in Kai Tak? Or was it Incheon?
Hey bud, nope, never been to Kai Tak, but I wish I had, looked like an interesting spot.

Return to “General Comments”