Air Saguenay

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

Idriveplane
Rank 6
Rank 6

Air Saguenay

Post by Idriveplane »

After seeing their fleet fleet of beavs and all 3 types of Otters, I wouldn't mind getting some info on em. Such as pay, working conditions, and most importantly, do they hire english speaking folk? :)
---------- ADS -----------

AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Air Saguenay

Post by AuxBatOn »

Idriveplane wrote:After seeing their fleet fleet of beavs and all 3 types of Otters, I wouldn't mind getting some info on em. Such as pay, working conditions, and most importantly, do they hire english speaking folk? :)
I don't have info on them, but on the last question, Saguenay is a very french part of Quebec. If you can't speak French, that could be dangerous for your life when you'll be flying. If you're bilingual, that should be a non-issue!

AuxBatOn

Going for the deck at corner
benoit.baril
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by benoit.baril »

Air Saguenay often operates in english speaking area (IE Goose-Bay Labrador floats + skis).
I'd say call them & ask... a very friendly bunch.

GET TO DA CHOPPA!
Rudder Bug
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Rudder Bug »

I second, and in Schefferville its almost all english

Flying an aircraft and building a guitar are two things that are easy to do bad and difficult to do right

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Yd_QppdGks
1000 HP
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 1000 HP »

I flew in the same areas as Air Saguenay and other french only speaking pilots. It was very busy airspace, and using the gps tracks could be dangerous at times. Without exception, I was the only English speaking pilot around. The quebec pilots were friendly and courteous. But learn to use your eyes more than anything else. Looks like they are operating nice equipment though... :D

Drinking lots of coffee lately, at a nice safe jungle desk, wishing I were flying......
twotterflogger
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by twotterflogger »

Air Sag is a nice company. As long as you don't have to fly JC around for his hunts its a good gig. Most of the guys are Francophones but almost all of them speak English to a certain extent. Speaking in English on the radio is ok, but you'll miss out on all the jokes, and jokers on company freq if your a unilingual Anglophone.
When I was in that neck of the woods, they paid around 3000 a month on the DHC2 and a tad more on the Otter. I know they were looking for guys with Turbine time a year or so ago.
The CP back then was Julien C and he was based at their Lac-Sebastien base, he'd be the guy to speak with if he's still around...
Hope that helps,

SQ

Post by SQ »

they look like a great company
the CP is a good guy taking the time to answer you and he will be quiet honest with you
as I applyied to work on the dock he told me my profil was best suited for the line
how ironical : few people want to do that job and when you want it you're told to go the big iron way
go figure.........:smt108

Rudder Bug
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Rudder Bug »

SQ,

Is Bobat the new CP by any chance?

Flying an aircraft and building a guitar are two things that are easy to do bad and difficult to do right

Vortex_driver
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Vortex_driver »

last I heard was Fred Jalbert the new CP...since last summer... he's a really nice guy....
Only in Wabush they speak english...
the pay really depends on your experience... and what your willing to do!... but even for a beginner it's decent...

SQ

Post by SQ »

Rudder Bug wrote:SQ,

Is Bobat the new CP by any chance?
nop, I don't think, I don't remember

twotterflogger
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by twotterflogger »

Vortex_driver wrote:last I heard was Fred Jalbert the new CP...since last summer... he's a really nice guy....
Only in Wabush they speak english...
the pay really depends on your experience... and what your willing to do!... but even for a beginner it's decent...
No true, most of the guys I used to fly with out of Sheff, spoke English.
And I strongly disagree with your last comment. Flying out of Sheff is not a good place for a beginner... Heck I had about 800 hours TT and 400 on floats when I started there, and I've never scared myself so often. I truly believe that I was lucky that I made it out of there alive. Good lessons learned but looking back on it, I wouldn't send anyone new to the float industry there.

Idriveplane
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Idriveplane »

Why did you scare yourself so much? Was it on your behalf or from being pushed by the "top".

Rudder Bug
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Rudder Bug »

I wouldn't send anyone new to the float industry there.
I totally agree Twotterflogger.

In order to do the caribou hunting season in Scheff, one has to learn to be able to fly every day. The wx will switch from CAVU to CSFA (can't see fuc.kall) within minutes.

And the wind? I think that's where its made! I've seen 90 kts at low level, but smooth, once we were all airborne in our piston Otters. The guys remember that one for sure. I've been stranded in a tent, almost out of food for 8 days too, in heavy snow in the end of August.

Schefferville is definitely not the place for a beginner.

twotterflogger
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by twotterflogger »

Idriveplane wrote:Why did you scare yourself so much? Was it on your behalf or from being pushed by the "top".
I have to admit, that most of the time it was my own doing... although I was made to fly in less then aceptable weather a few times. In hindsight i should have taken the Convair 580 flight out (and yes i was threatened once), but being young, keen, and wanting to prove myself I made some poor decisions which in hindsight were stupid to say the least. From what some of my friends whom are still there, things are a changing....

Rudder Bug:

Thanks for confirming what I was saying. Its not only your desicion making skills that are put to the test, but there are many, many variables which you cannot control, and can only be mitigated by expirience in the region.
Say, when were you last working in the region? We've perhaps met eachother???

Twotterflogger (is "Francophone")

Rudder Bug
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Rudder Bug »

Hi T-Flogger,

I'm sure we ran across eachother there! My last season was with Saguenay in 89 I guess. They called me Elvis by then!Whom where you flying for? Are you PP?

twotterflogger
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by twotterflogger »

LOL! Nope I'm not PP. I finished there in 2005, been in Africa ever since... I don't think we've met each other if you left in 89.... tell me, do you know Andre Valler? Jacques Dupuis? or Jack/Dick Hume?

Rudder Bug
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Rudder Bug »

Twotterflogger,

My name is Gilles Graton and I am francophone too. It's probably obvious the way I write! :mrgreen:

I have a few friends at Air Saguenay, nice gang, I enjoyed being with them those days.

There are some other frogs in here for sure!

Where are you in Africa and what you're doing?

Salutations

twotterflogger
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by twotterflogger »

Salut Gilles, je suis francophone aussi, mais j'ai travailler pour Jack/Dick et non pour Air Sag....
I've been working in East Africa mainly for the last 3 years flying Caravan's and other maintenance nightmare aircraft there... I quit my job there months ago, and now fly for a Canadian company abrod, I do still reside in Tanzania during my time off...
What about yourself? Where have you been since 89? Who do you know is still at Air sag?

Rudder Bug
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Rudder Bug »

Air Saguenay is looking for a Beaver driver on Quebec North coast, starting June 10th. Decent wage, lodging and food provided, lots of flying. Most of customers tip pilot.

This is not an entry-level offer though. I suppose they want a couple thousand hours and good bush experience.

Feel free to PM me for more details if you think you qualify.

Here is a link to the the web site: http://www.airsaguenay.com/index_en.php?categories=3

RB

Vortex_driver
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Vortex_driver »

Sorry for the delay in correcting myself!

I said the PAY is decent even for a beginner...not the flying! but talking about the job, I totally agree... Sheff, Lac Pau and Wabush, and actually pretty much all there base! is not a good place for a beginner... The only easier bases are down south where you can have some older guy to fly the small lakes and the bad days!

Air sag 's pilot in Sheffer spoke french, but there are other operator that have quite a few english speaking pilot!

I probably met you there twinotterflogger! were you flying the private 185? I think we made a trip following each other to like camp XX... can't remenber the number there are too many!

Did you met with N. Dancause in Africa? I heard he's flying there now on a caravan...could be the same place!

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”