Calgary Flying Club or Calgary Flight Training Centre?

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

LOCBC
Rank 2
Rank 2

Calgary Flying Club or Calgary Flight Training Centre?

Post by LOCBC »

Which one is better? any information will be great.
Thank you
---------- ADS -----------

Lurch
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Calgary Flying Club or Calgary Flight Training Centre?

Post by Lurch »

In what regards?

Work for?
Train with?

There are more then just the two schools in Calgary. Eight in total why just these two?

A lot of info is available just need to be more specific

Lurch

Take my love
Take my land
Take me where I cannot stand
I don't care
I'm still free
You cannot take the sky from me
200hr Wonder
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by 200hr Wonder »

Do a search there are at least six topics on this topic. Search Springbank/Calgary Flight Schools.

Cheers,

200hr Wonder
bamf
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by bamf »

I am currently attending the Calgary Flying Club for my private flying license. I really enjoy it there, they are a association that is really involved with their members. I also find the instructors very good and hands on regarding training, they are not there to just put in the hours to move on, they actually are there to teach you.

ygeflyguy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ygeflyguy »

Well you're right about one thing, they do love their members with their own planes. The ones that have to rent however... :toimonster:

Cat Attack
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Cat Attack »

If your just looking for a flight school in general there's a great little school in Okotoks, Skywings. Only 2 airplanes but you can almost book an airplane the next day and there is hardly ever traffic. It's super quiet and they have really nice and talented instructors there.

shamrock104
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by shamrock104 »

Whos the CFI at Okotoks these days?

Lurch
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Lurch »

shamrock104 wrote:Whos the CFI at Okotoks these days?
Klark still

Cat attack sounds like a biased opinion, do you work there?

Take my love
Take my land
I don't care
I'm still free
k411
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by k411 »

NOT CFTC, I have been there for nearly 2 years trying to get my ppl, and in that time there has been 3 CFI's, a good 8 or more instructors that have left, now down to two (one has for less than a month, so they were down to one for awhile), office staff only in on weekends, instructors that will cancel your flights for no reason (I have had more flights cancelled than gone ahead... Instructors that will choose not to stay the full day and leave early because they don't feel like it (mostly awhile ago, like in the spring, instructors would not show up at groundschool because they didnt feel like teaching it), Aircraft down for large amounts of time (they have been down to 1 katana for a solid 3-4 months), they are missing a bunch of the small things, for example they haven't done solo pictures and traditions like that for a long time, they have not been very organized since they moved to High river, and in general, things have just been below par lately. Don't get me wrong, the high river idea was really good, as it is less busy than CYYC, no landing fee's, and ground time is way shorter than it was in Calgary. CFC is really good though from what I have heard, especially with the little things, like a pilots lounge, a restaurant in the building, ramp staff that actually take care of the planes, and from what I read on their website, it sounds like they have a maintainance dep't, so their aircraft aren't down for so long, and a day isnt wasted ferrying aircraft between maintainance and the field.

shitdisturber
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by shitdisturber »

k411 wrote:NOT CFTC, I have been there for nearly 2 years trying to get my ppl, and in that time there has been 3 CFI's, a good 8 or more instructors that have left, now down to two (one has for less than a month, so they were down to one for awhile), office staff only in on weekends, instructors that will cancel your flights for no reason (I have had more flights cancelled than gone ahead... Instructors that will choose not to stay the full day and leave early because they don't feel like it (mostly awhile ago, like in the spring, instructors would not show up at groundschool because they didnt feel like teaching it), Aircraft down for large amounts of time (they have been down to 1 katana for a solid 3-4 months), they are missing a bunch of the small things, for example they haven't done solo pictures and traditions like that for a long time, they have not been very organized since they moved to High river, and in general, things have just been below par lately. Don't get me wrong, the high river idea was really good, as it is less busy than CYYC, no landing fee's, and ground time is way shorter than it was in Calgary. CFC is really good though from what I have heard, especially with the little things, like a pilots lounge, a restaurant in the building, ramp staff that actually take care of the planes, and from what I read on their website, it sounds like they have a maintainance dep't, so their aircraft aren't down for so long, and a day isnt wasted ferrying aircraft between maintainance and the field.
Not as an expression of an opinion, since I don't have one on the subject; but the maintenance is now being done by the AMO across the ramp.

_dwj_
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by _dwj_ »

I haven't dealt with CFTC, but I've done some training at CFC and they are very good, highly professional, great CFI who has been there for a few years (Pierre). The only problem is that, like most schools at YBW, it's incredibly busy. When I was there 2 years ago you had to book instructors 1 month in advance and every lesson involved lots of taxiing. From what I hear it's worse now.

k411
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by k411 »

shitdisturber wrote:
Not as an expression of an opinion, since I don't have one on the subject; but the maintenance is now being done by the AMO across the ramp.
Yeah, I know that, but i think they still deal a little with their old one, for example the one katana that is down is still at the old one as far as I know

scavers
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by scavers »

_dwj_ wrote:I haven't dealt with CFTC, but I've done some training at CFC and they are very good, highly professional, great CFI who has been there for a few years (Pierre). The only problem is that, like most schools at YBW, it's incredibly busy. When I was there 2 years ago you had to book instructors 1 month in advance and every lesson involved lots of taxiing. From what I hear it's worse now.
Lots of taxiing? IMHO - 1.0 air, 1.3 hobbs isn't bad...

I Я Instructor
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by I Я Instructor »

Springbank Aero Flight Training at the ESSO... guaranteed availability the same day ;)

MyMeowCat
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by MyMeowCat »

I Я Instructor wrote:Springbank Aero Flight Training at the ESSO... guaranteed availability the same day ;)
Yeah --- I used to fly at the CFC but gave it up and hope to do it somewhere else and also still waiting out the whole instructor shortage thing.

Considering how busy CYBW is --- I wonder why Springbank Aero is so "available" :rolleyes:

For those of you who are actually training in Calgary these days --- just wondering what's it like in general these days :rolleyes:

_dwj_
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by _dwj_ »

scavers wrote:
You're right, CFC isn't too bad since it's close to the runways. SATC is worse, as you have to taxi past all the hangers to get anywhere.

scavers
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by scavers »

_dwj_ wrote:
scavers wrote:
You're right, CFC isn't too bad since it's close to the runways. SATC is worse, as you have to taxi past all the hangers to get anywhere.
I can do that in MY plane south of C

I Я Instructor
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by I Я Instructor »

MyMeowCat wrote:
Considering how busy CYBW is --- I wonder why Springbank Aero is so "available" :rolleyes:
We're not busy for 2 reasons.

#1. Most people drive down the main road and don't realize there's a school just around the corner.
#2. Under previous management they put all their money on foreign students. Foreign students left, locals see #1.

Lurch
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Lurch »

I Я Instructor wrote:
MyMeowCat wrote:
We're not busy for 2 reasons.

#1. Most people drive down the main road and don't realize there's a school just around the corner.
#2. Under previous management they put all their money on foreign students. Foreign students left, locals see #1.
#1 sure doesn't help but no way the main reason they aren't coming in
#2 Not quite the real reason, has very little to do with it

Take my love
Take my land
I don't care
I'm still free
I Я Instructor
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by I Я Instructor »

LOL... Lurch.. that's funny... I actually get it now that I think I know who it is... anyway...

why don't you enlighten myself and AvCanada as a whole as to why there are few students presently at SAFTI?

Last edited by I Я Instructor on Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Flight Training”