PPL time building

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

sdogg0
Rank 2
Rank 2

PPL time building

Post by sdogg0 »

Just curious, I have worked very hard to be able to afford to get a PPL, (not using my parents money). Anyways I am a licensed automotive mechanic and have worked hard to be able to afford to fly, anyways just curious what some of you have done to build time for your commercial licenses. Would like to fly for free if possible??? Any ideas?? ALso later on in my career will employers respect my career path, ive worked hard to get were I am but still do not have that "superior" university degree.
---------- ADS -----------

Adam Oke
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: PPL time building

Post by Adam Oke »

Get some tailwheel time under your belt and seek out your local gliding club in the area and tow gliders.

--Air to Ground Chemical Transfer Technician turned 4 Bar Switch Flicker and Flap Operator--
ToFlyIsDivine
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by ToFlyIsDivine »

I'm not sure about the rules, but go to your local Air Cadet Squad and ask them about training younger pilots, or simply taking them out to fly. If you have i think a number of hours, they will let you fly the cadets AND you'll get paid too...

Also like the previous post, get some towing hours, easiest...and you get paid....

From what I know, you don't even need to have CPL to do the things I've said above....of course....I may be wrong....

So correct me.....

Adam Oke
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Adam Oke »

Glider Clubs are simply that. Clubs. Everyone pays their dues, gets equal access to the club fleet, club facilities, and club material etc. There is no pay within the club to anyone. The only paid tow pilots in Canada are out west where all the commercial glider operations are. You will likely get paid in the range of 1000-2000/month plus accomodations.

I just spent 10 mins typing up a HUGE "essay" response about the Cadets ...... But I accidently closed avcanada. I'll re-type it if someone is truly interested in learning how to fly power famil. for the cadet program.

--Air to Ground Chemical Transfer Technician turned 4 Bar Switch Flicker and Flap Operator--
Caiss
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Caiss »

Wait a second, are you telling me as a ppl holder you can get a job towing gliders for free and your hours count? If this is true why doesn't most people do this and where do you do it?

sdogg0
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by sdogg0 »

Im interested in the cadet program info you suggested above, any info would be great??
=Thanks=

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

the only thing you can't do as a ppl is get paid

Adam Oke
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Adam Oke »

Caiss wrote:Wait second, are you telling me as a ppl holder you can get a job towing gliders for free and your hours count? If this is true why doesn't most people do this and where do you do it?
I called it my "first job" and got slapped in the face by everyone on AvCanada. The generally concensus is that towing is a "flyign gig". Towing is alot of up and downs and gets you into some neat aircraft ... like a Citabria or a Piper Pawnee. The situational awareness skills, decision making skills, and stick and rudder skills gained are great! Most clubs look for one pilot to be their dedicated mid-week summer tow pilot (this includes countries such as Aus or NZ). You will have the become a member of the club which could range from $200-400 duckets. In a summers worth of work doing mid-week towing you can easily pull 150-200hrs. Most clubs will hook you up with a trailer for free, and most clubs have a decent club house with facilities. So thats May-September.

Most Gliding Clubs hold the following pre-req's
-PPL + 50hrs PIC + 5 hrs Tail + Glider License
or
- PPL + 100hrs PIC + 5 hrs Tail

Most clubs will want you to work towards your glider license, or at least get solo as you tow. You'll understand why once your on the glider end of the rope. Its no longer just your life in your hands, but the possibility of 2 others as well on each flight.

Any further questions, feel free to ask. Now stand-by as I re-type the cadet program idea ..... I've gotten a couple requests for that.

Adam Oke
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Adam Oke »

Helping out cadets with a bonus of time building:

First of all what I would suggest is to get established with an Air Cadet squadron first. To approach a squadron asking them for money to fly their cadets looks like use and abuse of the system. No sponsoring committee will sign a fat cheque to someone they don’t know and any commanding officer of a squadron would likely agree with me. I would suggest approaching your local Air Cadet squadron offering your assistance and your qualifications as a pilot. If you don’t mind a bit of leg work, this can be very rewarding and a little time builder.

Find your local squadron and ask to volunteer your time as “Adult staff” or you can get on a paid role as a “Civilian Instructor”. Another option would be to join the Canadian Forces for the Cadet Instructor Cadre and become an Officer within the Squadron. Again … as an Officer you are entitled to pay. Both CI’s and Officers will have a max pay of 22 days per year at a rate around $100/day, paid out twice a year. Or something in that range. Cadets parade one night a week for a couple hours. Summers off, of course, as cadets have summer courses to attend. They follow the school year pattern. You can get involved as little or as much as you want.

One thing I would suggest helping the squadron out with, is establishing a Ground School if they do not have one. You don’t have to be a flight instructor, or an aviation guru for this ground school. It’s prepping them for their entrance exam for the Glider and Power Scholarship.

So that’s 2 nights a week … 4-6 hrs of your time. And could possibly be paid to volunteer your time.

A great thing about the cadet program is that flying is a part of their mandatory training. Each and every level one cadet (entry cadet) must partake in a familiarization flight. The Air Cadet Program has a Gliding Program that offers familiarization flights, but the only time a cadet might get into a power plane is if the weather is too bad on a date they were scheduled to go gliding and they must be tossed up in the tow plane.

The cadet program allows Power Familiarization Flying in rented or private aircraft. This is the program that you will present when you initially discuss joining the squadron. Now that you’re established and recognized, the sponsoring committee will likely sign a fat cheque with ease.

The pilot requirements for power familiarization flying are as such:
- PPL or higher (if you want to fly at night you will require a CPL)
- Min 30hrs PIC on class and type
- Have flown one hrs PIC in the preceding 60 days including at least one hour on type. If this has lapsed a flight check with a valid flight instructor will suffice.
- Have flown an annual proficiency flight including normal and emergency procedures with a valid flight instructor

Ref: http://cadets.ca/_docs/cato-oaic/5207_b.pdf

The sponsoring committee told me I had $1500.00 to play with. I sat down at my local Flight Training Unit and said I have 1500 from the cadets what I would like to maximise. What can you do for me? (aka I want a deal). Huron Flight Centre Inc. Donated over $600 in flying expenses and offered 15hrs for $1500.00 … taxes all in. So that’s $100 an hour wet all said and done for a 172. Big thanks to Huron Flight Centre Inc. in Sarnia, Ontario.

Obviously power famil flying is going to rely heavily on a budget and what the sponsoring committee has in surplus. You are dealing with the DND, and the Canadian Cadet Movement. There are hoops to jump through, requests to detachment to be filled out. Approval from Air Ops of your region. Basically the beurocratic/political BS. But if you don’t mind a little bit of leg work then it all pays off for the cadets and you get a little time building yourself. It’s been two weeks since I’ve been with the squadron and I now have a cheque.

However a background on me. I completed the cadet program in full with the squadron I’m volunteering at. I did my glider and power license through cadets. I work within the Air Cadet Gliding Program …. Basically I’m not a stranger is what I’m trying to say.

Just call up your local Air Cadet squadron and ask to have a meeting with the Commanding Officer to discuss your suitability as a volunteer and a power famil pilot.

pild04
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by pild04 »

Hi Adam,

Thank you for the information regarding the tow pilot position!

The reference link attached doesn't work. Do you happen to have any updated information regarding the requirements (if it has changed)?

Thank you in advance!
Adam Oke wrote: Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:25 pm Helping out cadets with a bonus of time building:

First of all what I would suggest is to get established with an Air Cadet squadron first. To approach a squadron asking them for money to fly their cadets looks like use and abuse of the system. No sponsoring committee will sign a fat cheque to someone they don’t know and any commanding officer of a squadron would likely agree with me. I would suggest approaching your local Air Cadet squadron offering your assistance and your qualifications as a pilot. If you don’t mind a bit of leg work, this can be very rewarding and a little time builder.

Find your local squadron and ask to volunteer your time as “Adult staff” or you can get on a paid role as a “Civilian Instructor”. Another option would be to join the Canadian Forces for the Cadet Instructor Cadre and become an Officer within the Squadron. Again … as an Officer you are entitled to pay. Both CI’s and Officers will have a max pay of 22 days per year at a rate around $100/day, paid out twice a year. Or something in that range. Cadets parade one night a week for a couple hours. Summers off, of course, as cadets have summer courses to attend. They follow the school year pattern. You can get involved as little or as much as you want.

One thing I would suggest helping the squadron out with, is establishing a Ground School if they do not have one. You don’t have to be a flight instructor, or an aviation guru for this ground school. It’s prepping them for their entrance exam for the Glider and Power Scholarship.

So that’s 2 nights a week … 4-6 hrs of your time. And could possibly be paid to volunteer your time.

A great thing about the cadet program is that flying is a part of their mandatory training. Each and every level one cadet (entry cadet) must partake in a familiarization flight. The Air Cadet Program has a Gliding Program that offers familiarization flights, but the only time a cadet might get into a power plane is if the weather is too bad on a date they were scheduled to go gliding and they must be tossed up in the tow plane.

The cadet program allows Power Familiarization Flying in rented or private aircraft. This is the program that you will present when you initially discuss joining the squadron. Now that you’re established and recognized, the sponsoring committee will likely sign a fat cheque with ease.

The pilot requirements for power familiarization flying are as such:
- PPL or higher (if you want to fly at night you will require a CPL)
- Min 30hrs PIC on class and type
- Have flown one hrs PIC in the preceding 60 days including at least one hour on type. If this has lapsed a flight check with a valid flight instructor will suffice.
- Have flown an annual proficiency flight including normal and emergency procedures with a valid flight instructor

Ref: http://cadets.ca/_docs/cato-oaic/5207_b.pdf

The sponsoring committee told me I had $1500.00 to play with. I sat down at my local Flight Training Unit and said I have 1500 from the cadets what I would like to maximise. What can you do for me? (aka I want a deal). Huron Flight Centre Inc. Donated over $600 in flying expenses and offered 15hrs for $1500.00 … taxes all in. So that’s $100 an hour wet all said and done for a 172. Big thanks to Huron Flight Centre Inc. in Sarnia, Ontario.

Obviously power famil flying is going to rely heavily on a budget and what the sponsoring committee has in surplus. You are dealing with the DND, and the Canadian Cadet Movement. There are hoops to jump through, requests to detachment to be filled out. Approval from Air Ops of your region. Basically the beurocratic/political BS. But if you don’t mind a little bit of leg work then it all pays off for the cadets and you get a little time building yourself. It’s been two weeks since I’ve been with the squadron and I now have a cheque.

However a background on me. I completed the cadet program in full with the squadron I’m volunteering at. I did my glider and power license through cadets. I work within the Air Cadet Gliding Program …. Basically I’m not a stranger is what I’m trying to say.

Just call up your local Air Cadet squadron and ask to have a meeting with the Commanding Officer to discuss your suitability as a volunteer and a power famil pilot.

Adam Oke
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Adam Oke »

pild04 wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:13 am Hi Adam,

Thank you for the information regarding the tow pilot position!

The reference link attached doesn't work. Do you happen to have any updated information regarding the requirements (if it has changed)?

Thank you in advance!
Well that's a thread resurrection from the dead if I ever seen one! 11 years ago, but I would still give the same time building advice.

If you are asking about how to set up or get involved in a Power Famil flying program; I have since been very much removed from local Air Cadet squadrons as life has become busy. I imagine the requirements are the same, if not very similar. Unfortunately all the documents are now located on some portal, and quite frankly it has changed so much I have not kept up with the times on how to find any documents. Your best bet is to contact the local cadet squadron you wish to get involved with. They will be happy to hear from you.

Civilian glider towing back in the day is one of my fondest memories at the start of my career. I look forward to getting back involved with a glider club.

Last edited by Adam Oke on Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
kevind
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by kevind »

Were are you located

pild04
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by pild04 »

Thank you! I'll get in touch with my local squadron.

Have a great Christmas!

Return to “Flight Training”