Looking at a career in aviation!!

Place a topic in this forum to introduce yourself and find a little advice.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako

sdogg0
Rank 2
Rank 2

Looking at a career in aviation!!

Post by sdogg0 »

Just noticed this new forum, another great idea for avcanada. Anyways im going to be getting my commercial license in the near future. I guess my main question is, what kind of hours are needed to enter a entry level job, and what kind of entry level jobs are there available in southern ontario. Another question, does anyone recommend flight instructing as a career choice, the idea appeals to me but the responsibility scares the S:"T out of me. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
---------- ADS -----------

KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Looking at a career in aviation!!

Post by KAG »

What are your end goals? Airline, bush, water bombing, no idea...This industry is vast and has many routes. Instructing is a good way to build time to get another job, but not much of a career choice unless your part owner of a school or your get your DFTE and do many rides.
Southern ONT is SWAMPED with low time pilots that aren't willing to work the north. So you'll have lots of competition for the few jobs around.
Do some soul searching, figure out what you really want, then ask that question. There is no one correct path to your career job, and there is a lot of fun to have along the way.

The feet you step on today might be attached to the ass you're kissing tomorrow.
Chase lifestyle not metal.
sdogg0
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by sdogg0 »

Thanks for the reply, what route did you take. Im kind of interested in bush flying but i heard the flying up there is somewhat dangerous. Is this true, you know I love flying but... I dont want to take unneccessary risks if i dont need to

chipmunk
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by chipmunk »

KAG wrote:........ and there is a lot of fun to have along the way.
+1.

And don't worry if you don't know what you want your career job to be... I still don't!
:D

KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by KAG »

I instructed for 1000 hours, got 500 multi PIC, and headed up north. Now I'm at Westjet. There are so many cool jobs to be had, places to live and work, and so far the most fun I've had (and will have) is up north. Is it dangerous? Not really, depends on the decissions you make and the pressure that you place on yourself. If you follow the regs, and more often common sense it's no more dangerous then your current job...assuming your not a line worker in a fireworks factory :smt040

The feet you step on today might be attached to the ass you're kissing tomorrow.
Chase lifestyle not metal.
Duncan Idaho
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Duncan Idaho »

sdogg0 wrote:Im kind of interested in bush flying but i heard the flying up there is somewhat dangerous. Is this true, you know I love flying but... I dont want to take unneccessary risks if i dont need to
Well then you ought to give it some consideration, because that's a good attitude to have in the bush. Because a lot of these incidents or accidents that occur are directly related to the kinds of decisions and attitudes that the pilots have towards the risks involved. And they're carrying passengers, people that deserve just as high a standard of safety as those travelling on the airlines. If you can't make it out VFR, you don't have to go out and bullshit it just because the pax, the boss, your peers and your ego are telling you you can make it anyway. The decisions you make and your understanding of the situation are what make things safe and dangerous, and they're more of a part of your responsibility than how well you can steer. It's up to you how safe your flight is. PDM.

gavrailoff
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by gavrailoff »

Im working on my PPL now so Im definetly lacking in the experience department. But one thing I can suggest is try finding a job in the industry. I found one and its a great head start. Any type of job will do, it may lead to flying for that company later. But if not its still something to put on the resume.

sdogg0
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by sdogg0 »

That is good advice but I already hold a job that pays the bills and allows me to pursue my pilot training, only bad thing is I hate the job!!!
------Im counting down the days--------

sherrysherry
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by sherrysherry »

hi KAG...sir i am a new immigrant (PR) in toronto. i have around 500+ hours of total flying.around 430 hours on jet.of these 430 110 hrs are on multi engine jet and 320 on single engine fighter jets. 80 hours are on piston engine. would you please guide me what are chances for me in the job market. i am ready to relocate anywhere for a good job.i would really appreciate your advice.thanks

Return to “AvCanada's Mentor Program”