Looking to unlock some of the experience of my fellow pilots

Place a topic in this forum to introduce yourself and find a little advice.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako

Ozzydog
Rank 0
Rank 0

Looking to unlock some of the experience of my fellow pilots

Post by Ozzydog »

I'll just start with saying that I AM looking for some help with my career more in the form of points of view and this seems to be a good place to look. I've read the rules of this forum and it looks simple enough. So now I need someone to give me some advice. Anyone can PM or reply on this thread if they like.

My Brief History: I'm a dude from the prairies almost 30, I've been flying since I was 19 and just completed my ATPL this summer after working for two years as a Flight instructor. I learned alot in my time as an instructor and it helped me as a first step to what I'm looking for. After two years of working at the flight school many things came together to make me decide it was time for a change. Family moving far away, Girlfriend in a city far away, No money to go and see her, and Instructing had slowly become a boring tedium. I completed my "apprenticeship" which is what my CFI called it when I started there, and gave three weeks notice that I was done at the flight school for better or worse.

I recently moved to Calgary where I've been looking for work as an FO with some of the major companies at YYC. I realize the timing of my decision to quit and move may have been absolutely wrong but I'm a person who follows his gut cause it never lies. I've been applying at these companies in Calgary online since late summer and have gotten no reply yet. I'm having to face going back to the Oil patch cause a man needs a job. None of these companies seem to want to hire anyone. Its getting me down. I've got over 1700hrs and 1450 are PIC, only 135 of multi with only 30 or so PIC.

I feel like I'm applying for a job again even on here cause thats what I've been doing for months! I have great references from my past employers cause I like work and I work damn hard. Can someone look at my Resume? Or give me some advise. I have a girlfriend with a little girl and dont want to rent in low income housing for the rest of my days. When I was 23 and paying for this "career" I used to make 3 times what I made at the flight school. Sounds like the FOs in Calgary make even LESS than what I was making as an instructor. It makes me so angry when I think about it too long. I'm looking in either the corporate industry or the airlines cause thats the flying I want to do.
PLEASE HELP!
Sorry for the long post
---------- ADS -----------

KAFUFO
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Looking to unlock some of the experience of my fellow pilots

Post by KAFUFO »

go north for that elusive multi pic. then choose where your going to live

looproll
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Looking to unlock some of the experience of my fellow pilots

Post by looproll »

Tough spot you are in. Why did you give notice if you didn't already have another job lined up? In my experience in aviation, one must have another firm offer before moving on. Good luck.

Return to “AvCanada's Mentor Program”