need some advice..re: job

Place a topic in this forum to introduce yourself and find a little advice.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako

dev99
Rank 0
Rank 0

need some advice..re: job

Post by dev99 »

Hi

My name is Dev and i am a recent graduate from Centennial College as a AME. I realized very quickly that the job market is poor for students with no experience. I am just wondering if there is any thing i can do that would make me a better applicant to any company in the releated profession. any courses i could take to show initiative?
thank you
dev
---------- ADS -----------

crazy_aviator
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: need some advice..re: job

Post by crazy_aviator »

Pick 2 or 3 companies and offer to work for 1 for FREE for 2 weeks to see if the company is interested in you !!!!

Hoov
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Hoov »

crazy_aviator wrote:Pick 2 or 3 companies and offer to work for 1 for FREE for 2 weeks to see if the company is interested in you !!!!
That is horrible advice. I am not an AME but go out and get paid for what you do, do not offer to work for free.

I carry my crucifix
Under my deathlist
Forward my mail to me in hell
Liars and the martyrs
Lost faith in The Father
Long lost in the wishing well

Wild side
just curious
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by just curious »

Pick 2 or 3 companies and offer to work for 1 for FREE for 2 weeks to see if the company is interested in you !!!!
Crazy,

Since this is a relatively seriously forum, you could expect to see less than tactful post, like this one disappaer. Please save your warmth wit and humour for one of our many other forums.

Just a thought,
JC

HS-748 2A
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by HS-748 2A »

just curious wrote:
Crazy.. ?

I dunno'; I think its not an unreasonable tact. Almost no potential employer would actually let you work for free but they may appreciate the candor of your approach.

If you prove yourself, you'd be hired without a doubt. :prayer:

I one time worked for food in a certain Northwestern B.C. community which shall remain nameless - lest I incriminate the unscrupulous character who would take advantage of a poor N.L.C. student that way - or incriminate myself, of course.

Maybe one week though - Not two. :shock:

Last edited by HS-748 2A on Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
The fastest way to turn money into smoke and noise..
crazy_aviator
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by crazy_aviator »

Ladies and gentlemen, use your HEAD after you take it out of your behind !!
Look around , the big 3 car manufacturers are giving their employees an equivalent of 70.00/hr. and the misfits working there are still bitching and complaining ,,,how far do you want to go ? Theres an unwritten principle "do a little extra for a good company and you receive much in the long run" Too many self righteous, self absorbed, selfish folks are living in Canada who expect everything from the employer. Whats 2 weeks of your time as a new apprentice ( your likely only going to schmooze off your parents anyways) to GIVE a LITTLE to this industry and maybe receive 25 years of employment in the end! Add it up , vacation pay, christmas party, paid days off, sick days, fringe benefits of working in the industry etc etc . Listen to wisdom instead of fools when it comes to finding and securing a good job !!
OFFER it to a GOOD employer who is undecided about employing you and he WONT ever forget you !!

username:
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by username: »

HS-748 2A wrote:
just curious wrote:
Crazy.. ?

I dunno'; I think its not an unreasonable tact. Almost no potential employer would actually let you work for free but they may appreciate the candor of your approach.

If you prove yourself, you'd be hired without a doubt. :prayer:

I one time worked for food in a certain Northwestern B.C. community which shall remain nameless - lest I incriminate the unscrupulous character who would take advantage of a poor N.L.C. student that way - or incriminate myself, of course.

Maybe one week though - Not two. :shock:
To some extent I agree with HS-748 2A. When I applied for my first dockhand job, the employer told me I was too young. I asked him if he would let me come in for ONE day and work so that I could prove myself. He thought it was a great idea. At the end of that day he was very impressed and I was hired (I even got paid for that day of work). This job eventually brought me to a very good flying position. This is not working for free, it's proving yourself.
Never offer to work for free!

acidgambit
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by acidgambit »

Hey man,
I just got out of school like a 2 months ago. The industry is pretty dead right now but it's starting to spool up again. You just gotta look harder. I was hired by a pretty big airline like a few weeks ago. Just try harder and you'll eventually find one. Gotta be pretty patient at these times. Good luck. I know how you're feeling.

scopiton
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by scopiton »

crazy_aviator wrote:Pick 2 or 3 companies and offer to work for 1 for FREE for 2 weeks to see if the company is interested in you !!!!
offering to work for free is just a way to say that you're worth nothing

as a new AMe you know the basics to be usefull/efficient and has a desire which are, despite experience, 2 very valuable things

Return to “AvCanada's Mentor Program”