Military Twotters on floats?
Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog
- Siddley Hawker
- Rank 11

- Posts: 3353
- Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2004 6:56 pm
- Location: 50.13N 66.17W
Military Twotters on floats?
Does anybody know if the CAF ever operated the Twotter on floats? On a modelling site I frequent, a member is building a model of the CAF S&R version of the Twotter and wanted to know the colour of the floats. I told him I didn't think the military ever flew them on floats, but he seems to think otherwise. Any answers guys?
-
really green
- Rank 1

- Posts: 27
- Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2005 9:38 pm
Re: Military Twotters on floats?
Indeed they did. I had to second guess myself as well, but then I remember talking to one of their tecs about it one day while putting one of our twin on floats.
A pic
http://www.airliners.net/photo/Canada-- ... id=0735920
A pic
http://www.airliners.net/photo/Canada-- ... id=0735920
- Siddley Hawker
- Rank 11

- Posts: 3353
- Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2004 6:56 pm
- Location: 50.13N 66.17W
Re: Military Twotters on floats?
Heard it quite the operation when they docked the a/c in yk...one guy with his head out the door with a headset on giving directions to the skipper... 
-
bornagain1340
- Rank 2

- Posts: 76
- Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 9:03 am
- Location: here...for now
Re: Military Twotters on floats?
I've also heard from eyewitnesses it was quite the gong-show watching Canada's finest attempting to dock that bird...but quite amusing to at the same time 
Re: Military Twotters on floats?
Hence the reason why we dropped the floats. The boys just weren't getting proficient enough at it.
-
5400AirportRdSouth
- Rank 5

- Posts: 362
- Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:23 am
Re: Military Twotters on floats?
Apparently also operated 3-crew, with a FE.. most likely his head+set peeking out the back door.
Remember, only YOU can stop Narcissism
Re: Military Twotters on floats?
A guy I flew with this summer, flew the twotter for a year or two. He was an ex-F104 and ex-Snowbird guy and said that flying the twotter where they went in and out of was some of the more enjoyable flying he did.
-
ruddersup?
- Rank 5

- Posts: 312
- Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:10 pm
Re: Military Twotters on floats?
I have to pass this on to everyone.
Had military piston Otter come into my dock in mid Nov (brrrr) years ago. With engine idling young newly enlisted got out on float with what looked like 100 feet of 3/4 in rope in a ball.
As they drifted up to the dock the young fella stepped off the front of the float and disappeared. Yup gone under with a/c over top of him. He was down a long time but finally struggled to the surface and we took him inside to dry his clothes and everyone had a good laugh and a cup of coffee.
Well when they went to leave they started the a/c with the rear rope still tied up. Yup almost toed my floating dock out to sea as we scrambled to untie the damn thing. That was twice I stood back and watched the show. Never again. LOL
Anyone top that?
Had military piston Otter come into my dock in mid Nov (brrrr) years ago. With engine idling young newly enlisted got out on float with what looked like 100 feet of 3/4 in rope in a ball.
As they drifted up to the dock the young fella stepped off the front of the float and disappeared. Yup gone under with a/c over top of him. He was down a long time but finally struggled to the surface and we took him inside to dry his clothes and everyone had a good laugh and a cup of coffee.
Well when they went to leave they started the a/c with the rear rope still tied up. Yup almost toed my floating dock out to sea as we scrambled to untie the damn thing. That was twice I stood back and watched the show. Never again. LOL
Anyone top that?
-
rightseatwonder
- Rank 6

- Posts: 406
- Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2004 7:21 am
- Location: M.78 FL410
Re: Military Twotters on floats?
I've heard all those crazy military twinotter stories over the years...
and ive seen plenty of pop canned floats and ripped up docks in my time around docks... i saw a beaver sewing machine its flap hangers all the way down another beavers wing... that was bad.
ive seen pilots and dockies go in... planes bang tips as it cartwheels down the dock..passengers get pulled in by the horizontal stab, pax disappear under the dock, I saw a woman all dressed up stumble on the cleat and push a lawyer type right in the harbour at 7 am in november...a pax fall in between the float and dock and get hurt, floats get pushed under the dock, miss the dock, get up on the dock.
When i was docking at Baxter Aviation in van harbour way back when... we would have 5 beavs show up in sequence for a 4 spot docking configuration downtown vancouver... took alot of running and a lot of nerve to keep it all together and on time.
It was there i had my most fun on the dock... one of those spring 35 kt S. Easters... and the pilots were having trouble getting the thing onto the East/West running dock, with the off the dock winds.
It came to this... i had to lie down on the dock... on my stomach with my heels hooked under the other side tie-down rail , so that half my body was overwater. The beavs would come into wind toward me until the toe cleats of the floats were in reach... I would slip a pre-tied loop on the cleat.. and they would drift back a bit then shut down. I had the rope tied off about 15 feet so they would be weathercocking into wind off the dock by the nose rope and I would toss the pilot... who was now on the float... another 35 foot line that I had pre-tied to the rail. When they got that tied off on the back of the float, i would pull them in... rachet-style, foot by foot against the wind, front rope 2 feet, tie off, then back rope 2 feet then tie off until they were locked up on the dock. This is with 6 pax onboard. unload, load them up again and cast them off. Then do it again for the other 4 beavs floating around in the harbour.
Some of the most fun ever, and some of the best tips ever too!
ahhh, funny I actually miss it!
and ive seen plenty of pop canned floats and ripped up docks in my time around docks... i saw a beaver sewing machine its flap hangers all the way down another beavers wing... that was bad.
ive seen pilots and dockies go in... planes bang tips as it cartwheels down the dock..passengers get pulled in by the horizontal stab, pax disappear under the dock, I saw a woman all dressed up stumble on the cleat and push a lawyer type right in the harbour at 7 am in november...a pax fall in between the float and dock and get hurt, floats get pushed under the dock, miss the dock, get up on the dock.
When i was docking at Baxter Aviation in van harbour way back when... we would have 5 beavs show up in sequence for a 4 spot docking configuration downtown vancouver... took alot of running and a lot of nerve to keep it all together and on time.
It was there i had my most fun on the dock... one of those spring 35 kt S. Easters... and the pilots were having trouble getting the thing onto the East/West running dock, with the off the dock winds.
It came to this... i had to lie down on the dock... on my stomach with my heels hooked under the other side tie-down rail , so that half my body was overwater. The beavs would come into wind toward me until the toe cleats of the floats were in reach... I would slip a pre-tied loop on the cleat.. and they would drift back a bit then shut down. I had the rope tied off about 15 feet so they would be weathercocking into wind off the dock by the nose rope and I would toss the pilot... who was now on the float... another 35 foot line that I had pre-tied to the rail. When they got that tied off on the back of the float, i would pull them in... rachet-style, foot by foot against the wind, front rope 2 feet, tie off, then back rope 2 feet then tie off until they were locked up on the dock. This is with 6 pax onboard. unload, load them up again and cast them off. Then do it again for the other 4 beavs floating around in the harbour.
Some of the most fun ever, and some of the best tips ever too!
ahhh, funny I actually miss it!
