Java Trojans & Fake Windows Updates??

Having difficulties with AvCanada Forums, the internet etc.. ask your questions here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

TTail
Rank 7
Rank 7

Java Trojans & Fake Windows Updates??

Post by TTail »

The past 2-3 days my computer at times was found to be tasking heavily without any activity from me. I suspected a virus and ran a full scan with F-Secure. Sure enough I found a few trojans all were related to my Java folder and all were within archives (.zip files) and therefore F-Secure couldn't disinfect/delete them. I manually dug them out and deleted them myself. The archives were as follows:

classload.jar-76ba5970-6720b385.zip

javainstaller.jar-3cc46f89-70472a69.zip

archive.jar-158279a4-4fff9aef.zip

F-Secure called these "destructive programs" and "trojan-downloader.java.openstream" etc etc

I'm curious if anyone is familiar with these trojans and as to how they were obtained and how to properly get rid of them. As I stated, I have manually deleted them and have run a couple of regcleaners.

Right before I noticed my problems I did a Windows Update, I had the little yellow shield pop up in my taskbar stating there were updates so I clicked it. I have read some cases on the internet of 'fake' or 'bogus' windows updates. Anyone have information regarding this??

I also use Limewire for downloading files

Thanks

LJD
---------- ADS -----------

TTail
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by TTail »

PS - I saved the "Scanning Report" from F-Secure which has full details of the scan and the files it found along with the actions it tried to take in case it helps.

Thanks again

mculshaw
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by mculshaw »

I just did a quicksearch on Google for:
javainstaller.jar

And it came up with a number of solutions for getting rid of them and possibly a bit of insight as to where they came from...

mc

TTail
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by TTail »

Thanks for the info

Is javainstaller.jar related to what I had? I'm sifting through some of the info right now.

LJD

TTail
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by TTail »

After reading some more it appears that was what I had. Anyone know how it ends up on your system? There was some info stating that it can get in through ActiveX and clicking yes to those popups (which I never do) and I'm also curious what these Trojans do? Does it give someone access to my PC?

LJD

mculshaw
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by mculshaw »

http://www.cluck.com/HTML_Articles/TrojanHorses.html

Here is a good resource that explains what the Trojan horse can do...
mc

TTail
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by TTail »

Thanks again.

I'm running a new virus program now. Seems F-Secure wasn't as good as I thought. The new program is finding things F-Secure never did!

. .
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by . . »

Try downloading Microsofts new anti spyware/trojan software. I got it about a month ago and i've found it to be pretty good. I use AVG for virus stuff, and the MS for spyware. Seems to keep my PC healthy.

TTail
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by TTail »

Thanks.

I found a BETA version of it. Do you have an official release or is yours the BETA as well. I'm trying out 'Panda Titanium Antivirus' right now, have you heard of it? I have heard of AVG maybe I should switch to that.

. .
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by . . »

Mine is the beta version also. I've never tried pandasoft stuff, so I can't speak as to how well it works. I've had a pretty good experience with AVG. It's free so perhaps it's worth a download, then you can decide which you like better.

TTail
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by TTail »

I'm impressed with Microsofts spyware software. It's got some good features. As for AVG, I'm trying it out. Hopefully just cause its free, its not lacking in any features that the others might carry. I'd rather not keep paying every year for some of this other crap though.

Thanks for the tips

Benwa
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Benwa »

Grisoft's AVG + Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta is the way to go.

Also, you should consider using Mozilla Firefox. Firefox does not run ActiveX, hence is a lot safer. I only use internet explorer to do Windows Updates as this is an ActiveX component.

--In his wrapup remarks, the FAA chief said, "If you think the safety bar is set too high, then your
standards are set too low."
TTail
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by TTail »

Thanks Benwa,

I have been running Firefox for awhile now for those exact reasons. It's a way better browser than E. I will try out AVG and see how it goes. I saw some reviews saying BitDefender was good too.

Return to “Internet and Computer Help”