Single Turbine PIC (PC-12) Time vs Multi Piston PIC (PA-31)

Place a topic in this forum to introduce yourself and find a little advice.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako

cyxl.pilot
Rank 0
Rank 0

Single Turbine PIC (PC-12) Time vs Multi Piston PIC (PA-31)

Post by cyxl.pilot »

I'm having a moral dilemma. I've got the opportunity to gain two types of flight experience, multi PIC time on a PA-31 or single engine PIC time on a PC-12. As far as keeping the best possible future options open, what would benefit me the most? I see ads for Jazz, Air Canada or WestJet who all want 500 or so multi pic hours, but I hear things from other friends as well that say overall time is important, not so much the multi pic time. Any advice?
---------- ADS -----------

looproll
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Single Turbine PIC (PC-12) Time vs Multi Piston PIC (PA-31)

Post by looproll »

In my humble opinion, multi PIC beats single PIC the way a full house beats a high card...

but of course there is more to it than just the "type" of hours you're getting. Which has the better pay and schedule? etc etc

Invertago
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Invertago »

Seems 500 multi is key, if you have that already, any more won't really do much for you other then raise total time.

No trees were harmed in the transmission of this message. However, a rather large number of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.
arctic navigator
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by arctic navigator »

If you don't have MPIC time now get some... The PC12 is a wonderful airplane to fly and its a great trainer to learn Glass etc, however it still only has one engine. Their will always be PC12 jobs around and if you have a goal to fly one you will be able to, but MPIC will open way more doors for you in the long run.

ScudRunner
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by ScudRunner »

arctic navigator wrote:If you don't have MPIC time now get some... The PC12 is a wonderful airplane to fly and its a great trainer to learn Glass etc, however it still only has one engine. Their will always be PC12 jobs around and if you have a goal to fly one you will be able to, but MPIC will open way more doors for you in the long run.
I Agree I have flown the PC-12 and its a sweet machine, but what has opened doors for me all over is my Multi PIC time. The Majority of my MPIC is VFR in an Islander and with that I can meet all the contrails and oil company requirements which has kept me working and opened doors at allot of companies.

Get the MPIC

just curious
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by just curious »

PA31

No Conflict
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by No Conflict »

cyxl.pilot wrote:I'm having a moral dilemma. I've got the opportunity to gain two types of flight experience, multi PIC time on a PA-31 or single engine PIC time on a PC-12. As far as keeping the best possible future options open, what would benefit me the most? I see ads for Jazz, Air Canada or WestJet who all want 500 or so multi pic hours, but I hear things from other friends as well that say overall time is important, not so much the multi pic time. Any advice?

had VERY little MPIC before getting my current job, but alot of PC 12 time (left and right)....seems more depends on your attitude, persistence and how you present yourself....walk in like you own the place with light twin time, good bye...

does it matter...? maybe..... maybe not

PC12PILOT
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by PC12PILOT »

Please remember too that the PC12 NG is a modern aircraft. Good for Glass time.

atpl53
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by atpl53 »

Your question is not a one sentence answer. 'No Conflict' is correct when they say "...seems more depends on your attitude, persistence and how you present yourself...", however, it is important to know that each employer hires for a SPECIFIC need. If they are hiring for attitude and that they need someone to stick around for a while they may chose someone with qualifications other than "time".

That being said....MPIC is important in the overall picture. However, PC12 time is excellent when a potential employer is looking to bring in a right seater on a corporate jet. Knowing how to look after those expensive engines is a much greater concern than your MPIC time. That being said....you will most likely find it difficult (not impossible) to be a captain on a twin turbine, of any stripe, unless you have the magic number of 500 hrs.

My suggestion is that you map out your career. It is difficult in this economic climate to say "don't take a job just because it's there". Everyone has bills to pay, but don't let that be the guiding rule for the direction of your career. Look at the employer. Are they someone who you would be proud to work for? Is the schedule good? Maintenance? Benefits? Equipment?

Without knowing what you ultimately aspire to in this industry it is difficult to give you definitive advice. For me, it was the MPIC experience and then the turbine/glass time while working toward my ATPL. For me this road laid the foundation skills required to be considered for the corporate side of aviation. I can't speak about the airline side as I never aspired to fly the big tubes.

Good Luck what ever choice you make!!!!

Dan

Always remember your flying roots!!
atpl53
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by atpl53 »

cyxl.pilot

check your PM's

Always remember your flying roots!!

Return to “AvCanada's Mentor Program”