Job hunt: Any hope for entry-level CP in 2009?

Place a topic in this forum to introduce yourself and find a little advice.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako

alexander23
Rank 0
Rank 0

Job hunt: Any hope for entry-level CP in 2009?

Post by alexander23 »

Hi all! I would be very happy about some helpful advice! I have read a lot in the forum lately and found both encouraging and discouraging information regarding the "hunt for a job". Although you must have heard this question numerous times, it is a very vital question to me right now: How do I find that FIRST FLYING JOB?
  • How can I get in touch with my future employer in person, when they are so widely spread across the country? I have come to believe that meeting someone in person is the only way to get my foot into the door of this industry.
  • How do you do all the networking within the aviation community, if only few people up till now know how trustworthy and talented you are?
  • Would you drive from coast to coast just to go for an interview?
  • And last but not least: Is there hope for a low-time guy with a basic float rating to get any PIC time in 2009?

Your comments and advice are much appreciated! Thank you.
PS: I am not giving up. I learned that as I learned to fly!:-)
---------- ADS -----------

kevinsky18
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Job hunt: Any hope for entry-level CP in 2009?

Post by kevinsky18 »

What's being said is not to drive to an interview, if you got an interview get on the next plane to destination and show up ready to work.

What is being said is you need to drive coast to coast knocking on doors just to get an interview.

Mistake 1 is to make this a hand out resume and scoot out the door to the next place. That's a waste of your time, sit down at each place BS a bit meet as many people in the company as you can: obviously the CP but the rampies too.

No I don't think just a regular 7hr endorsment is going to cut it this year even for a ramp job.

my 2cents

alexander23
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by alexander23 »

Thanks for your input kevinsky18. Any other comments from some of the mentors on this forum?

In the meantime I have hit the road making valuable contacts and ended up going north further and further. Let's see where I'll get stuck (in a positive way).

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

I did "the drive" twice in my search for a float job. Once in early March: "come back in a month or two in the middle of April, we'll have a better idea then.." and then once again in the middle of April: "shoot, ya shoulda been here in the middle of March, that's when we did our hiring." :rolleyes:
What's a guy to do? At then end of it all, I managed to get a job in my hometown which garnered me enough time to get a dock/185 gig over the phone.
Now, that was back in 1997, so things may have changed a little, but I still think that it is a worthwhile trip - if you can afford it... At the very least, you'll get to drive across the country and see places that you'd never otherwise go. Also, you'll get an idea of where you do and don't want to live. You might show up in Pickle Lake, and think, 'ahh, paradise', OTOH, maybe not - no Starbucks, so elsewhere.
You'll also get a feel for the places that you might want to work. I happened to visit Jackson Air in Flin Flon, MB. Bill was a great guy, took some time to talk (interview, if you will) cup of coffee, bit of a tour etc.. I went away hoping that he'd call me, as he seemed like a good guy, the hangar was clean, and well-lit, and from what I could see of the Beaver he was servicing, it was in good shape. Other, nameless, places that I've been to really gave me a bad feeling - dirty, greasy floors, engineers wearing t-shirts with yesterday's lunch and last week's oil change smeared on the front, tools and sh1t everywhere - you get the picture.

Kevinsky has some good points, too.. don't just scoot out the door unless it's obvious that you are not welcome to stay. Try and adjust your dress to suit the operation - just as a suit isn't really expected at Joe's Flying Truck Service, neither are jeans and workboots acceptable at Jane's Corporate Charters..
Whenever I've worked at a place, I've always tried to be helpful to newbys/wannabes who show up at the door. I'll give a guy a couch and meal for the night if s/he's otherwise going to stay in a hotel etc.. For several reasons - paying it forward is one; who knows, I may end up asking them for a favour some day; common decency; if we are looking to hire a new guy, and s/he happened to be a d!ck, then I'd like to be able to say that to the boss, and have my 2 cents worth noted..OTOH, if wannabe made a good impression, I'd say that too - networking without you even knowing about it! I'm not saying to show up and be a brown-noser by buying dinner and then drinks all night, but if the guys go out for coffee while you are there, spring for the round.

As to the last...I'm sure that there are ramp jobs still to be had in places - making the jump from 7 hours and a ramp to a flying seat, perhaps not this year. Still, if it was easy, everyone would be doing it.

Good luck!

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
Mix-Prop-Power
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Mix-Prop-Power »

IMHO, if you want to fly floats, think about making a trip to north western ontario, think yrl and yxl, with a stack of resumes in hand. A firm handshake and looking your potential employer in the eyes can make all the difference. If you make a good impression doors can mysteriously open. With 7hrs on floats almost certainly will not be doing any pic on floats this summer, anything under 50hrs on floats and operators pay a premium on their insurance..... but you never know. The further north the better when considering entry level jobs. Best of luck!

Invertago
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Invertago »

Attend a airline pilot career fair, walk up to the booth see what the company offers and if you like them, fill out your application.

But seriously, "How do I get that first job" is the million dollar question especially this year as it is for most years. There have been hundreds of threads on the topic if you do a search on here. What you need is to get yourself a job (any job right now) that will put you in the "right place" when the time is right and there is hiring happening. Aka, be the FBO refueler and shake hands with potential employers, go work dispatch somewhere, all of these positions offer networking. That elusive C180 on floats is being flown by a ex-twotter guy this year, see if you can get a 'lurker' type job where you have an excuse to "shoot the shit" with the people in the industry segment you want to work. Let them get to know you, and when things get better you have some connections.

No trees were harmed in the transmission of this message. However, a rather large number of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.
alexander23
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by alexander23 »

Thanks for your help guys. I got lucky: I'm flying! Have a good season everyone.
Cheers!

Lost Lake
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Lost Lake »

Congrats. Keep us posted

What little I do know is either not important or I've forgotten it!
Transport Canada's mission statement: We're not happy until you're not happy

Return to “AvCanada's Mentor Program”