Replacing plastics instrument panels
Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore
-
office_supply
- Rank 2

- Posts: 53
- Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:39 am
Replacing plastics instrument panels
Hi guys,
Im replacing the plastic insturment panel overlays on my plane and I need to cut out holes for the instruments on the upper panel, and for switches etc on the lower panel.
Any recommendation on a proper cutting tool that wont crack or melt the plastic?
Thanks,
Im replacing the plastic insturment panel overlays on my plane and I need to cut out holes for the instruments on the upper panel, and for switches etc on the lower panel.
Any recommendation on a proper cutting tool that wont crack or melt the plastic?
Thanks,
Re: Replacing plastics instrument panels
Standard hole saw for a drill works well, turning at high speed with low pressure on the panel. Make a template out of lexan or something first to make sure the holes are in the right location.
Swede
Swede
-
BoostedNihilist
Re: Replacing plastics instrument panels
When drilling man sized holes in a plastic panel I set the holesaw and start the hole with the drill in reverse... this helps reduce accidents...
-
really green
- Rank 1

- Posts: 27
- Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2005 9:38 pm
Re: Replacing plastics instrument panels
Personally for me,
If your doing some smaller holes, I've found that the circular saw attachment for a dremel tool works really good. No melting or disfiguring.
If your doing some smaller holes, I've found that the circular saw attachment for a dremel tool works really good. No melting or disfiguring.
-
office_supply
- Rank 2

- Posts: 53
- Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:39 am
Re: Replacing plastics instrument panels
The panel I have is pre-molded so I knew where to cut. Since I have both small and large instruments on the panel, I opted for a 1-3/4inch hole saw. Unfortunately all Home Depot carried were for wood/metal but it did the trick without melting which was a bonus.
I chose the 1-3/4inch because it was about a half-inch smaller than the hole size required. Then I used a cutter bit on the dremel and carefully cut out the rest leaving about a quarter inch. On the small holes this wasnt much, but on the bigger holes and the glovebox, it took a lot out. So long as I went in a clockwise motion, I got a clean cut on the outside and the melted plastic on the inside. When that was done, a sanding bit did the rest.
So far so good, thanks for the info guys
I chose the 1-3/4inch because it was about a half-inch smaller than the hole size required. Then I used a cutter bit on the dremel and carefully cut out the rest leaving about a quarter inch. On the small holes this wasnt much, but on the bigger holes and the glovebox, it took a lot out. So long as I went in a clockwise motion, I got a clean cut on the outside and the melted plastic on the inside. When that was done, a sanding bit did the rest.
So far so good, thanks for the info guys