Taking a 22 month old up in a 152?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

ogc
Rank 5
Rank 5

Taking a 22 month old up in a 152?

Post by ogc »

My sister and her 22 month old son (mostly him) has recently expressed a great interest in going up in the air.

I just wanted to confirm that it is perfectly legal for us to fly in a 152 with her in the passenger seat holding him securely in her lap?

I looked through the CARS and that is the only thing I could find in regards to infants.

I have access to a 172, would it be better to use that and put him in a car seat? My only concern there is that the little guy wont be able to see anything (and more likely would get air sick)

I have ear protection for him, just wanted to make sure it was okay for mother to carry the child on her lap in a 152.

Are there any other rules to be aware of?
---------- ADS -----------

erics2b
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Taking a 22 month old up in a 152?

Post by erics2b »

I logged my first hour of dual at 6 months... :smt102

:mrgreen:

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

I'm not sure I'd be too quick to take a two year-old up in a 152. I'm sure, if he gets interested in what his uncle is doing, that he'll get all squirmy, despite your sister's best efforts, and that could hamper your flying. Murphy's law would dictate that would be right at the time that you need to pay the most attention to flying. Much better, IMO, to rent a 172, and put him in a car seat, making sure that he can see out, and do it that way. When you get back on the ground, you can let him sit up front and wiggle the controls..

My $.02

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
Pratt
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Pratt »

As far as being legal I would imagine it would be the same as if they were pax on a commercial flight, I think it is up to two years they are considered an infant and can/should be held by the adult. Don't know what they say about using a car seat.

Brown Bear
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Brown Bear »

Go for it.
:bear: :bear:

The best "Brown Bear" of them all!
Dust Devil
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Dust Devil »

my 1 week old is going up tomorrow

//=S=//

A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed
iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

I took my daughter up at three months, but she was in a car seat in the back of a Cherokee.

CARS do not require the use of car seats at all, but we always put our kids in them because:

1) They are safer, and

2) We usually need the car seat where we are going (pretty much all of our family flying has actually been going somewhere).

I would not have the child held on a lap in a front seat. It could be dangerous if the child interferes with or accidentally blocks the controls. Also, with all the buzz in the Obits (ASL) about pilots not wearing shoulder harnesses and being killed or badly injured; it is mind boggling to think about an infant totally unrestrained in the front seat during a crash...

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
Invertago
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Invertago »

Can you do it legally... yes...

Is it safe... no IMO (I've seen the difference between two adults in a C172 and one had a loose seat belt in a crash. It was scratches on one, broken bones for the guy with the loose seat belt.)

You can fly 99.9% of the time with out a seat belt your self and get away with it... but...

PDM, its your call in the end, you'll probably get away with it.

No trees were harmed in the transmission of this message. However, a rather large number of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.
Airtids
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Airtids »

They definitely get interested:

Then they get bored:

Then they get serious:

We got Lil' Airtids a youth DC, but you could just use a touque with earflaps and stuff the flaps with kleenex for a little hearing protection. Now she's 6, and has about 60 hours dual...

Go for it! I've taken TONS of little ones up. Be prepared to turn around immediately if it's just not their thing, and you WILL know right away! We also always put our kids in the carseat for takeoff and landing. They won't be able to see anything from their perch in the back, so feel free to take them out in flight. If you can't keep a 22 month old from interfering with the flight controls, good luck with the rest of their upbringing!!

Aviation- the hardest way possible to make an easy living!
"You can bomb the world to pieces, but you can't bomb it into peace!" Michael Franti- Spearhead
"Trust everyone, but cut the cards". My Grandma.
Brown Bear
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Brown Bear »

iflyforpie wrote:I took my daughter up at three months, but she was in a car seat in the back of a Cherokee.

CARS do not require the use of car seats at all,
Sure they do. Try driving a Buick, Ford or Toyota with a child without one... Indeed, CARS do require car seats!
:bear: :bear:

The best "Brown Bear" of them all!
Invertago
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Invertago »

MapleFlag wrote:Buy him a toy airplane, every time he plays with it scold him. That way he will grow up to hate airplanes. Sounds like tough love but in the end he will thank you.

lol +1

No trees were harmed in the transmission of this message. However, a rather large number of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.
North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

Love the pics, Airtids.

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

I 100% agree with 'tids! I've flown a couple of friends and they're young ones and I spent tons of time up front as a kid myself too.

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

Mine always fall asleep. Never saw a problem.

SAR_YQQ
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by SAR_YQQ »

Car seat <period>. If you hit some turbulence or a rough landing - that baby is going flying.

I've done a rescue where the only survivor was the three year old in the car seat.

RVgrin
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by RVgrin »

For safety of the child: *definitely* use a car seat. Please treat that cargo as precious.

Three other considerations not mentioned:

1) Your insurance might not cover more than one body per seat. Which means you are not legal even if child is under two.
2)A tantrum/squirming incident that doesn't affect your controls may still be sufficiently stressful and distracting as to cause a problem.
3) Don't forget hearing protection. Earplugs *and* headset.

Ballsssssss
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Ballsssssss »

Everyone is talking about the legality of it and car seats etc while no one has asked "Are you an experienced Pilot?" I would be more concerned with the real safety of the situation as opposed to the paper safety.

Ballsssssss

TT: don't care PIC: still don't care MPIC: really really don't care TURBINE: get a life.

Life's never fair, get a helmet.
joco
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by joco »

ogc wrote:My sister and her 22 month old son (mostly him) has recently expressed a great interest in going up in the air.

I just wanted to confirm that it is perfectly legal for us to fly in a 152 with her in the passenger seat holding him securely in her lap?
We had our son at 15 mo traveling YYZ to VIE (over 9 hr flt) in our arms and they gave us an infant seatbelt with a loop that got attached to the parent seat belt. Holding the infant in the mother's arms is not a good idea.

joco
RatherBeFlying
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by RatherBeFlying »

My older son first flew in a C-172 at 26 months or so in a car seat. Did a checkout circuit with him in the back; then dumped the instructor, moved him to the front seat and went for a longer flight. He needed a reminder to keep his hands off the yoke; however his tummy had a problem with crosswind landings in the flare. As in any emergency, flying the airplane comes first and cleanup later. Bring extra clothes.

For some reason he took fright on overwater approaches.

Held in a lap ain't gonna work in the mildest of crashes; i.e. the kid will be a projectile in the last moments of his life.

SunWuKong
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by SunWuKong »

Having a crash with a C152 is not something impossible. Will you take a baby on your motorcycle then drive through the city? If yes then I guess It is Ok to take this baby up in a single piston engine. A baby, if still alive after the crash, is not able to escape a fire, or to look for help. In addition you cannot really affirm he agreed to take such a risk. If it were you own kid it would maybe be different...
Personnaly I have always refused to carry babies in a single piston engine.
I am quite sure nothing will happen... Meanwhile I am also quite sure single piston engines crash very regularly...

What does the father think about it?

Truth is always hard to accept.

Return to “General Comments”