Pet Peeves

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

200Above
Rank 4
Rank 4

Pet Peeves

Post by 200Above »

I was listening to some audio recordings today on LiveAtc and noticed a couple instantances where two seperate crews have
a short outburst in regards to other pilots professionalism.

One case was when an aircraft at JFK taxiing across a runway with his strobes on. The crew on approach seemed to
call him out on why he didn't turn his strobes off. The crew taxiing across sad "Yah, but read your FOM for scrossing runways"

(If you want to hear it heres the link http://www.liveatc.net/recordings.php. click on RE: When things go HOT in JFK)

My question is, are there any 'pet peeves' you have that you routinely see/hear other crews continuesly do?

Theres got to be many examples out there, this is just one of many I'm sure. It also brings up a point, at what point does your companies SOP affect another crews performance, like in the audio. (3 mile final or so, and a plane crosses runway with strobes on) Do you be professional and turn them off, or is being professional keeping them on as per SOP?

I realy want to hear from the more experienced pilots because I personally try to be as thoughtful as possible when around other a/c as to not interfere with their ops.
---------- ADS -----------

Cougar
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Pet Peeves

Post by Cougar »

We were informed by the FAA about two years ago that, in the U.S. at least, pilots are expected to use ALL available lighting when crossing runways, except landing lights -- landing lights are to be used when taking off or landing only.

The purpose of the increased lighting during ground operations is to prevent runway incursions and other near-miss type situations, which have risen to alarming levels in the U.S. in the last decade, especially.

So, for example, while taxiing on a parallel taxiway near the active runway, the airplane would have on its strobes, beacon, taxi light(s), and position lights. The "old" way would be to have just the rotating beacon on, with the "hot" lights being turned on just before taking the runway for takeoff. Continuing to use landing lights for takeoff and landing ONLY is to warn ground aircraft that if they see that, it IS an airplane on the active.

The FAA inspector handed out a small pamphlet with these new procedures on it -- sorry, I don't have one in front of me to tell you the name or number of the publication. It's been hard for us old pilots to get used to taxiing around with so much lit up, but, that is what the Feds want, at least down here.

rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

120-74a
8. USE OF EXTERIOR AIRCRAFT LIGHTS TO MAKE AIRCRAFT MORE CONSPICUOUS.
a. General.
(1) Exterior aircraft lights may be used to make an aircraft operating on the airport surface more conspicuous. Pilots may use various combinations of exterior lights to convey their location and intent to other pilots, air traffic control, and ground personnel. Certain exterior lights may also be used in various combinations to signal whether the aircraft is on a taxiway or on a runway, in position on the runway but holding for takeoff clearance, crossing an active runway, or moving down the runway for takeoff.
(2) Because adherence to the guidelines in this AC are voluntary and aircraft equipment varies, flightcrews are cautioned not to rely solely on the status of an aircraft’s lights to determine the intentions of the flightcrew of the other aircraft. Additionally, flightcrews must remember to comply with operating limitations on the aircraft’s lighting systems.
b. Exterior Lights. To the extent possible and consistent with aircraft equipage, operating limitations, and flightcrew procedures, pilots should illuminate exterior lights as follows:
(1) Engines Running. Turn on the rotating beacon whenever an engine is running.
(2) Taxiing. Prior to commencing taxi, turn on navigation, position, anti-collision, and logo lights, if available. To signal intent to other pilots, consider turning on the taxi light when the aircraft is moving or intending to move on the ground, and turning it off when stopped, yielding, or as a consideration to other pilots or ground personnel. Strobe lights should not be illuminated during taxi if they will adversely affect the vision of other pilots or ground personnel.
(3) Crossing a Runway. All exterior lights should be illuminated when crossing a runway.
CAUTION: Flightcrews should consider any adverse effects to safety that illuminating the forward facing lights will have on the vision of other pilots or ground personnel during runway crossings.
(4) Entering the departure runway for takeoff or “position and hold.” When entering a runway either for takeoff, or when taxiing into “position and hold,” flightcrews should make their aircraft more conspicuous to aircraft on final behind them and to ATC by turning on lights (except for landing lights) that highlight the aircraft’s silhouette. Strobe lights should not be illuminated if they will adversely affect the vision of other pilots.
Page 14 Par

(5) Takeoff. Turn on landing lights when takeoff clearance is received, or when commencing takeoff roll at an airport without an operating control tower.
NOTE: The SOP of turning on landing lights when takeoff clearance is received is a signal to other pilots, ATC, and ground personnel that the aircraft is moving down the runway for takeoff

Cobra64
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Cobra64 »

Pet Peeve: "any conflicting traffic please advice." Because if I was conflicting traffic I would probably just keep quiet and hope things turn out ok. :roll:

Hawkerflyer
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Hawkerflyer »

VFR "weekend warriors" who continuously break rules and cause confusion to other professional pilots. These people fly with no regards for safety of others nor themselves!

"Six of us broke formation, five Jerries and I". - George "Buzz" Beurling
peakbagger
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by peakbagger »

people calling "clear of the zone" when leaving small uncontrolled aerodromes with only an ATF, not a different class of airspace. Perimiter, I'm looking at you! :wink:

Expat
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Expat »

Cabin crews that insist on waking up passengers to lift up their blinds for T/O and landing... :smt040

Success in life is when the cognac that you drink is older than the women you drink it with.
Panama Jack
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Panama Jack »

The "cool" radiotelephony from the US military guys:

"This is Screech two-four, checkin-in with the flash" :roll:

Suck my chock. :butthead:

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. If it stops moving, subsidize it.”
-President Ronald Reagan
Expat
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Expat »

"Lear 123, hold! An 124 heavy on 15 mile final..." :smt014

Success in life is when the cognac that you drink is older than the women you drink it with.
. ._
Top Poster
Top Poster
Location: Cowering in my little room because the Water Cooler is locked.

Post by . ._ »

Panama Jack wrote:The "cool" radiotelephony from the US military guys:

What does that mean? ATIS?

2775PSI
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 2775PSI »

guys that side-slip a 703 operated aircraft from 500 agl in light cross-winds. nothing worse than looking back down the isle and see the pax leaning into it wondering wtf.

is there anything so wrong with crabbing to the numbers and gently transitioning to the slip for the touch down??

reality check
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by reality check »

Picking up my morning toast with freshly washed and still wet/damp hands. Really, ick.

You asked.

El Comat
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by El Comat »

Cobra64 wrote:Pet Peeve: "any conflicting traffic please advice." Because if I was conflicting traffic I would probably just keep quiet and hope things turn out ok. :roll:
+1,000,000,!!!!!!

It's like telling someone, "What a nice day. Please comment on my statement." If the person has something to say, they'll probably be smart enough to say it without you prompting them to talk! The sad thing is I fly with guys who have 20,000+ hours and some still say it!!! To me, it's the most useless and unintelligent thing to waste bandwidth on.

Rant complete...conflicting please advise :mrgreen: (You definitely don't need that on here...if someone doesn't like what you say they WILL advise you without prompting!)

EC

Dagwood
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Dagwood »

peakbagger wrote:people calling "clear of the zone" when leaving small uncontrolled aerodromes with only an ATF, not a different class of airspace. Perimiter, I'm looking at you! :wink:
Just to clarify (not point fingers):

"Clear of the zone" is incorrect at an ATF.
"Clear of the Circuit" is required by RAC 4.5.7(a)(iii)(C):
(C) After takeoff, report departing from the aerodrome traffic circuit, and maintain a listening watch on the MF or ATF frequency until clear of the area.

AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

Panama Jack wrote:The "cool" radiotelephony from the US military guys:

Suck my chock. :butthead:
Actually, it's not to sound cool, but it is correct brevety for us to use "Flash" when we press the Ident button.
FLASH (system) – Temporarily activate specified system for identification purposes (e.g., IFF, afterburner, flare, or chaff).
IFF is an acronym for our Combined Interogator-Transponder (Identification Friend or Foe).

Going for the deck at corner
Nark
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Nark »

Don't worry Aux, I still think your cool.

People who give full position reports. Way too much traffic in my area; we have a standard FAA recommended phraseology.

And anything else that "Cessna 5-6-Sierra" does. That plane is my nemeses.

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
Semper Fidelis
“De inimico non loquaris male, sed cogites"-
Do not wish death for your enemy, plan it.
ETOPS
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by ETOPS »

People that use the word nemesis (or its plural incorrectly :mrgreen: ).

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

My pet peeve is people with pet peeves.

200Above
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by 200Above »

seeee, doesnt that make u feel better! I personally call "clearing the zone", hahaah I didnt realize is was tickin' someone off!!!

yah theres no need for the "conflicting traffic please advise" call

On condition
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by On condition »

People who say 'base to final'. You are either one or the other. I heard one winner say 'crossing midfield, joining left downwind, base, and final for runway 33'. :evil: Trying to save cycles on the PTT? Why not call clear of active while you are at it?

Return to “General Comments”