Pet Peeves

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

TG
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Pet Peeves

Post by TG »

redline7921 wrote:1. Those who say "with you." "Edmonton centre F-ABC with you 132.85." He knows you are with him. It is redundant
ahhhh, come on! give me a break!
Next you are going to say that "good morning" is clogging the frequency too !?
---------- ADS -----------

mashowski
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by mashowski »

I would like to clarify my previous post.
BPF may have jumped to the conclusion that I was criticizing student pilots. Instructors are responsible for the students actions. It is hard to give advice to students when their instructors are telling them the opposite.
All of the radio transmissions that I was referring to are being made by flight instructors and commercial pilots.
When I talked to Transport Canada about it, they gave it their blessing, they actually encourage this type of verbosity.
Larry

linecrew
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by linecrew »

mashowski wrote:When I talked to Transport Canada about it...

You're kidding...you actually took the time to complain about this to the feds? :roll:

Nark
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Nark »

200Above wrote:im getting really annoyed with the exploitation of the tip functions at some places...

I totally agree. If I had a nickel for every time I heard "that was an awesome flight, what a great flight"...
Adding 2-3 minutes in order to fly OVER a glacier instead of a miles away from it is going out of my way. I do this often.

I do get tipped, but not as often as the cabbies who drop the pax off.
The best tip I ever received was a mint chocolate from a hotel room pillow; I love Aussie ladies.
Second only to a six pack of beer. The note is still on my fridge.

Yesterday I took a couple of Germans over Glacier Bay National park, after I dropped them off they asked, "do you want a tip?" Who would say no to that? I have no scruple's, I'm a pilot after all.

Another pet peeve:

Pilots who jump all over other pilots for their technique. Especially those who have never flown outside of a 5000' paved environment.

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
Semper Fidelis
“De inimico non loquaris male, sed cogites"-
Do not wish death for your enemy, plan it.
cjpilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by cjpilot »

why do I owe the dude at the Shell a tip when i pumped my own gas, grabbed the door in and out by myself
At Esso the doors open automatically when you walk up to them :wink:

Life is best viewed upside down through the canopy
whiteguy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by whiteguy »

Pilots always complaining about other pilots procedures/radio calls/canceling IFR even though they are following company SOPs!!!!!!!

fleet16b
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by fleet16b »

Hawkerflyer wrote:VFR "weekend warriors" who continuously break rules and cause confusion to other professional pilots. These people fly with no regards for safety of others nor themselves!
That piss poor attitude is exactly why people like you should not be Prof pilots or instructors.
After 30 + years of flying, I have seen just as many issues caused by supposedly Prof. pilots as weekend pilots.
I've come across many Prof. Pilots that think it's their God Given right to fly and that they come before the hobby pilots which is ofcourse "bulls@#t
That said they think they can bend the rules any way they want and don't have to answer to anyone. New "500 hr wonder" instructors are the worse ! and some 10k pilots are just atrocious.
BOTH groups have their share of the good and the bad , we are all human in the end
Hawkerflyer maybe you should try getting over yourself just a little. Remember you did not start out as a Prof. Pilot
Your attitude does nothing to help or improve the industry.

...isn't he the best pilot you've ever seen?....Yeah he is ....except when I'm shaving.........
canadapilot924
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by canadapilot924 »

[quote="mashowski"][quote]
'Mandatory' transmissions that the flight school teaches to students at High River:
"airborne off of runway 24!" or "clear of the active!" after every touch and go.

Continuous Circuits (CAR 602.102) C) Report when clear of the surface on which the
aircraft has landed.

"entering the active for departure to the practice area!"

Departure (CAR 602.100)
A) Before moving onto the take-off surface,
report the pilot-in-command’s departure
intentions
on the MF or ATF frequency. If
a delay is encountered, broadcast intentions
and expected length of delay, then rebroadcast
departure intentions prior to moving onto the
take-off surface;

Sorry, can't see what your problem is.

nofate
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by nofate »

When you are trying to dock a float plane and someone is on the dock who you assume is going to grab the strut and hold the plane until you get out to tie it up just stands there and does nothing while the wind carries you away from the dock.

Lesson learned. Unless you know the people on the dock don't assume they know or care about helping to dock float planes.

Janszoon
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Janszoon »

Previous pilots who leave garbage in the aircraft, or leave bugs spattered all over the windscreen, or straps and equipment strewn about the cabin.

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

canadapilot924 wrote:
mashowski wrote:
'Mandatory' transmissions that the flight school teaches to students at High River:
"airborne off of runway 24!" or "clear of the active!" after every touch and go.

Continuous Circuits (CAR 602.102) C) Report when clear of the surface on which the
aircraft has landed.

Departure (CAR 602.100)
intentions
take-off surface;

Not sure who said what, but you only need two calls for continuous circuits; a downwind call and a final call. You do not need to say 'rolling', 'off runway XX', 'cross wind', 'base', and certainly not the highly confusing 'clear of active' (meaning you have lifted off the maneuvering surface, not taxied off the runway).

Other aircraft should know your intentions after you say 'Alpha Bravo Charlie right downwind 15 touch and go Sumspot' and 'Alpha Bravo Charlie final 15 touch and go Sumspot'.

Notwithstanding those regs(oh no, I've read too many CARS!! :rolleyes: ) make any transmission you feel you need to if there is conflictications.... Am I going to be crucified if I hear an initial call up and I report my position as base, crosswind, or rolling?

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

Back to pet peeves.... :)

WRT radiotelephony, procedures, airmanship, etc, my biggest pet peeve is obsessive compulsive pilots who can't stand when you don't do things 'their way' even if you are practicing good airmanship and the like.

From my observations in my short time in aviation, I've found there are three types of rules...

First, there are the hard rules, which are written into law, where you will be killed or seriously hurt, crash or badly damage an aircraft, or just get violated for whatever reason if you decide to break them. These must be followed.

Then there are the 'tips and tricks'. These are the tried and true methods that savvy old-timers have passed on to us young-uns to make our lives easier and keep equipment running nicely and profitably, plus the whole 'safe isn't always legal and legal isn't always safe' thing. This was probably my biggest eye opener entering aviation.

Lastly, there are the ideas that pilots always seem to figure out either by accident or by ego. These are things that seem good at the time and offer enough empirical evidence on their positive effects that they might win some converts. Some of these ideas might actually be really good, in which case they may become part of the industry standard tips and tricks. Many are really bad, in which case new legislation might be in order to prevent their further use (if there isn't legislation already, the regs are pretty thorough).

So all you new pilots out there, make sure you know the difference. Massless granny gas falls into the third category and so does most of 767's 'Bible of Flight Instruction'. :smt040

Last edited by iflyforpie on Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
shawnerickson
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by shawnerickson »

Half-assed pilots that think they are engineers.

Half-assed engineers that think they are pilots.

niss
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by niss »

Someone once told me that the biggest threat to an aircraft is a pilot with a phillips screw driver.

She’s built like a Steakhouse, but she handles like a Bistro.

Let's kick the tires, and light the fires.... SHIT! FIRE! EMERGENCY CHECKLIST!
lilfssister
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by lilfssister »

iflyforpie wrote: conflictications....
People who make up words :mrgreen: :lol: :rolleyes:

Lurch
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Lurch »

canadapilot924 wrote:
mashowski wrote:

aircraft has landed.

Departure (CAR 602.100)
intentions
take-off surface;

People who use the CARs to try and prove a point but don't actually include the full quote that shows they are wrong.

The CARs from above only covers MFs not uncontrolled APs, which was being discussed.

There are no legal requirements for radio calls while operating at uncontrolled APs, because there is no requirement to have a radio while flying at an uncontrolled AP.

Lurch

Take my love
Take my land
Take me where I cannot stand
I don't care
I'm still free
You cannot take the sky from me
Lurch
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Lurch »

iflyforpie wrote: Massless granny gas falls into the third category and so does most of 767's 'Bible of Flight Instruction'. :smt040
+1

Lurch

Take my love
Take my land
Take me where I cannot stand
I don't care
I'm still free
You cannot take the sky from me
double-j
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by double-j »

When someone rolls up beside you in a public urinal and starts 'chatting' to you.

Total dick move.

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

Pet Peeve: The fact that 767 and I share a common qualification....we both have a flight instructor rating :oops:

High Flyin
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by High Flyin »

Big Pistons Forever wrote:Pet Peeve: The fact that 767 and I share a common qualification....we both have a flight instructor rating :oops:

The fact that after I spent $7,000 on my instructor rating, I'm still going to have to wait a year before I get my first job and make an average below minimum wage!

Return to “General Comments”