Cessna 180

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

HS-748 2A
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Cessna 180

Post by HS-748 2A »

kiloindiapapa wrote:You might be better off buying a 175 or 170 with the 180 hp. Haul the same load for less fuel consumption.
I've always figured the 170 with the Doyne conversion looked like a pretty good airplane.
Would be interested though to know how it compares to the Buck Eighty on floats. I can't imagine you could get quite the load in there and maintain the same out of the water & climb performance etc.

Also, I cannot picture the 170 on floats cruising at 120 MPH.

Would be interested in hearing from somebody who has time on both though.

'48
---------- ADS -----------

The fastest way to turn money into smoke and noise..
tazin river
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by tazin river »

Well, for one thing, there sure isn't a whole lot of those C170/180hp powered in Canada on the market. Don't recall seeing one in recent years....

HS-748 2A
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by HS-748 2A »

tazin river wrote:Well, for one thing, there sure isn't a whole lot of those C170/180hp powered in Canada on the market. Don't recall seeing one in recent years....
There have been a couple through COPA in the not too recent past. There are a couple on Barnstormers too.

I take that back. None listed on Barnstormers at the moment, in Canada.

There is at least one American one on floats though and a couple other nice looking ones on wheels.

'48

Airtids
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Airtids »

oldncold wrote:2 best examples I ever saw were a Bern Browns' 180 k model which until health issues , the enevitable age thing. up in coville lake nwt sweet machine at least back in the early '90's . the other and maybe air tids could help me out on this one was out of nelson bc 55- 56 model all done up only 1 owner since 1970 a logging contractor joe?
Bizarre. Before I wrote a response, I had to get up and go look at the "Father Brown" painting sitting over my fireplace. I often wonder what/where he is up to these days. Last I heard, he was still kicking around up at Colville. Fishing must still be pretty good!

Joe Tencza's 180 was indeed about a 55-56. Fit with 2790 amphibs, I don't know what the useful load would be like, but it's pretty much just him and a buddy going up to Evans for the day. He spent a LOT of time 'tinkering' on that machine.

One thing that hasn't really been mentioned (OK, BPF alluded to it) is that the early model 180's were a really lightweight frame. Plus and minus: Plus is that means a good useful load, minus is that it can get beat to HELL. Whitecapping water and unimproved snow will trash the lighter airframes.

Good luck...

Aviation- the hardest way possible to make an easy living!
"You can bomb the world to pieces, but you can't bomb it into peace!" Michael Franti- Spearhead
"Trust everyone, but cut the cards". My Grandma.
lost in the north
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by lost in the north »

Buy a 182,great floatplane...If I didn't have so much tied up in my 185 I would look at one,Airtids has a nice one for sale.

Airtids
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Airtids »

lost in the north wrote:Buy a 182,great floatplane...If I didn't have so much tied up in my 185 I would look at one,Airtids has a nice one for sale.
HAD one for sale, looks like she's gone, and I'll miss her!! The nice thing about the 182 was the cabin was bigger, and the frame was a bit stronger. We put a 3 bladed prop and a 275hp Pponk engine (2000tbo) on her and she was gggrrrreat!

Aviation- the hardest way possible to make an easy living!
"You can bomb the world to pieces, but you can't bomb it into peace!" Michael Franti- Spearhead
"Trust everyone, but cut the cards". My Grandma.
geodoc
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by geodoc »

A friend is selling this former Canadian reg. 1960-ish 180 that I ferried to Asheville NC from Powell River BC 7-8 years ago.

Timex engine, factory float kit, no corrosion issues, P-Ponk gear mod, 185 tail wheel, new-ish paint, hangared, shoulder harnesses, awful interior, crap panel.

He'd take $50K USD

His name's Jonathan:

http://www.gagecrafters.com/

HS-748 2A
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by HS-748 2A »

That's pretty good value. I'll sell you a set of 2960s for 8.5K CAN and you've yourself a Buck Eighty on floats for under 75K.

Looks like it's got the seaplane prop too.

'48

sheephunter
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by sheephunter »

and with a P-Ponk engine and still fairly good value for under $100K.... pretty nice spending someone elses money.... so while we're at it may as well go for the A.R.T. Wing-X Remember the fancy interiors and panel won't make it fly any better while adding weight. Although this shows how quickly a modest 180 with wing-x, stol, vg's, LRF, and a low to mid time engine can creep up in value. My feeling is that you really need to be budgeting for $90-$100K to get a "good to go" and on floats C180. Good luck with your search, there are quite a few on the market right now and to me all seem to be a deal as I bought mine pretty well in the peek of things. Keep us posted on how you are making out.... hmmm maybe just how the search is coming.

Pilot_king!
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Pilot_king! »

Where or what is the best site to view these planes that are on the market.
Im interested in working towards buying a C-185 or C-206 and putting it on floats/skis/wheels.

Lost Lake
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Lost Lake »

Hey, what's the matter King Pilot, not getting enough float flying? Or do you have enough time now to start your own air service? :smt040

What little I do know is either not important or I've forgotten it!
Transport Canada's mission statement: We're not happy until you're not happy
Pilot_king!
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Pilot_king! »

O Lost Lake, your wit does not amuse me..! :roll:

I'm actually learning lots with my present posistion and look forward to my turn on the twotter.

I have a passion for working for myself and doing my own thing, always wanted to take charge and be a leader, it's my personality.

Running the show with a C 185 could be even more fun than flying a twotter. Time will tell...need to starting saing my dollars.

So you got a website to check these out?

sheephunter
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by sheephunter »

Trade-a-plane, barnstormers, COPA. There are piles of brokers as well. These will give you an opportunity to explore the "asking" price as well you can follow as to how long they have been listed. The ones that have realistic asking prices seem to move fairly quickly which in my opinion give the current market value. The ones that have been on there for 6 months to a year will provide the over market value. If you google either "cessna 185" or "cessna 206" for sale, you should get all the brokers and other websites. Stancil's usually have a good number of aircraft. You will have lots of options. I wouldn't be surprised that you haven't already been getting pm's with guys wanting to move iron. Personally I like to shop the hangars around the different airports or float bases and talk with the AME's as they usually know what's for sale or what can be bought as well will know the background of a lot of the aircraft they are talking about. Good luck.

tazin river
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by tazin river »

I just spoke to someone who has an aircraft for sale with the O-470J engine and he says that it has -R- crankcase in it, not the J making it compatible with the R-type cylinders if there is a need to replace them. Does that make any sense? Can it be? If it does, can they be replaced one at the time if there is a need for it or do they have to be replaced altogether?

Thanks

NWONT
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by NWONT »

Taz, have you been f*#king listening. Look at the plate on the engine. If it says J its a J as in junk. When was the last time that engine was O/H ed. Was it twenty years ago or more. Engines and cylinders have many AWD's and upgrades on a constant basis. An airplane with a bad engine is like a body with a bad heart. It can be worthless. Airplanes can be worth less than nothing. By this I mean it can cost more to make it airworthy than its worth. Find an engineer that knows his stuff and one you can trust. A C180 can be worth from nothing up to more than $200,000. Be careful man.

NWONT
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by NWONT »

Another thought. When checking your engine be sure to note if the cylinders have been bored oversized. If they have, and many are, they could be on their last legs. The next step is chroming, if these are already chromed, then they have seen a lot of service. Many times rings don't seat well on chrome. Many overhaul shops reuse pistons and other parts that just barely pass inspection, some put shims in the rings, some weld cracked cylinders. Metal can only be heated and cooled so many times before its properties are gone and its junk. Thats why there can be a big difference in the cost of overhauls. Crankshafts can also be ground down and bearings changed to fit. Some engines can have their designations changed at an overhaul shop by changing crankshafts, oil delivery systems, etc. Saving money on an overhaul can cost you dearly farther down the road. There are way too many things to consider than I could list here.

HS-748 2A
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by HS-748 2A »

sheephunter
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by sheephunter »

That's a great link. Thanks for posting it.

NWONT
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by NWONT »

Couple other things to think about. Check the tail stinger. If its a light one when you put a full load in the bird the thing bends way to far. Installing a heavy stinger can be a real chore as the old one has been there for thirty or forty years and it ain't coming out without a fight. Then you will have to buy another tail wheel assem to fit the heavy stinger. This can cost a few thousand dollars. Check to see if this plane has a factory float kit. If its been installed later it will still work OK but won't be near as strong.

tiny
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by tiny »

Be wary of the mogas stc. If you use much mogas you will end up with sticking valves. Also if you put a newly overhauled engine in, you will be hard pressed to find a shop that will offer any warrenty after you have used mogas.

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”