YELLOW SIDE UP... U EVER FLOWN A FOUND ?

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

Caracrane
Rank 7
Rank 7

YELLOW SIDE UP... U EVER FLOWN A FOUND ?

Post by Caracrane »

flew the Bush Hawk on amphibs and don't like the flap switch... will tell U why later but if U flew early models please give us some comments.
---------- ADS -----------

The Best safety device in any aircarft is a well-paid crew.
GoinNowhereFast
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: YELLOW SIDE UP... U EVER FLOWN A FOUND ?

Post by GoinNowhereFast »

Never flown a Found, but I can use proper words in my posts. Unlike 'U'.

viewtopic.php?f=49&t=68344

Sarcasm is the body's natural defense against stupidity
Caracrane
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Caracrane »

YOU picked up the right nickname, cause if it's all you have to say well... you really going nowhere but not that fast.

oldtimer
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by oldtimer »

I flew an earlier Found FBA 2C (F***ing Bastard Airplane) and I thought it was a piece of shit. No struts so everyone on the dock grabbed the extended pitot tube. Really kind of awkward in my opinion. Had a set of Edo 2870's with an extension on the rear so it was underfloated. Real handful in a crosswind on floats. Very weak gear on skiis. Poor visibility form the cockpit. Even worse from the back. AFM says that post flight retraction of flaps will not cause loss of altitude. Did it once and just about had to land again. Flap handle in the roof would just about lift you out of your chair. Marginal performance on float, adequate on skiis. Good cargo setup with a flat floor but it all ends up in the tail screwing up W&B. All in all, a marginal airplane. The 250 Lyc engine is bulletproof.

The average pilot, despite the somewhat swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy and caring.
These feelings just don't involve anyone else.
Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

All I know about them is Garth Wallace's comical recollections on the type from one of his books. I always thought he was exaggerating for the sake of comedy, but "Old Timer" seems to share his opinions.

I have to say I share "goingnowherefast"'s irritation with "text-speak".

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself
nofate
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by nofate »

Who would design a float plane with no wing struts? Its just wrong.

HS-748 2A
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by HS-748 2A »

The 250 Lyc engine is bulletproof.
I had it inmy head that the old Founds were O-470 powered.

Am I wrong?

'48

The fastest way to turn money into smoke and noise..
W5
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by W5 »

Lycoming O-540 (had to look it up though)

Shotgun Chuck McCoy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Shotgun Chuck McCoy »

Yeah, I flew them - the old ones. SOO and SVD. They were water lovers, but then again we were at 3000'ASL. I liked it. 4 doors, big cabin, good engine, I actually really liked the flap handle set up top like that. They were no beaver, but they were easier getting into, out of, and loading than a small cessna, and they were *nearly* as fast. Not quite though :) Ugly as sin too. Practical with the removable wingtips, and interchangeable tail surfaces...I love it!

SCM

What!??! Who said that?!?!
DeepWaters
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by DeepWaters »

GoinNowhereFast wrote:Never flown a Found, but I can use proper words in my posts. Unlike 'U'.

viewtopic.php?f=49&t=68344
Wow this forum can be so childish! The world is going to come to an end because someone uses U instead of YOU. What"s the big deal, some people will find anything to pick about and tear someone down.

When you finish reading this make sure you Critique my writing to make sure it's correct.
:?: If it's not correct, will I get a spanking, or am I forgiven by the PERFECT 1. (My bad should have said ONE)

GoinNowhereFast
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by GoinNowhereFast »

I'm not sure why I'm even responding to that.
Improper grammer and "text-ese" is a pet peeve of mine. I try my best to use proper Canadian English. I always proof read my posts before submitting. This is supposed to be a forum of professional pilots. Granted, our behavoir isn't very good, [I'm definitely guilty of that] but can we at least use proper English?

I'll let everybody in on a little trick. Open up a new Tab, go to Google and type in "define: [insert word here]". It will give you the proper spelling and a definition of the word. My spelling is piss poor, and I have used that trick twice already in this post.
Now time to proof read my post.

Sarcasm is the body's natural defense against stupidity
DeepWaters
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by DeepWaters »

GoinNowhereFast wrote:I'm not sure why I'm even responding to that.
Improper grammer and "text-ese" is a pet peeve of mine. I try my best to use proper Canadian English. I always proof read my posts before submitting. This is supposed to be a forum of professional pilots. Granted, our behavoir isn't very good, [I'm definitely guilty of that] but can we at least use proper English?

I'll let everybody in on a little trick. Open up a new Tab, go to Google and type in "define: [insert word here]". It will give you the proper spelling and a definition of the word. My spelling is piss poor, and I have used that trick twice already in this post.

I agree that grammer is indeed very important in our day to day communication wih people, but if i had too choose to see errors in writing over someone being nasty or hurtful to another person, I would have to choose the errors. As in any walk of life (not just a Pilot) we should act professional and kind.

And with that, you have yourself a GREAT day!

mattedfred
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by mattedfred »

GoinNowhereFast wrote:I'm not sure why I'm even responding to that.

I can't find anything when I search for behavoir.

http://www.google.ca/search?q=define+be ... =firefox-a

I'm just messing with you bud.

Shotgun Chuck McCoy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Uh, yeah, so about the Found...

Here's a couple of pictures to get this back on track.

SCM

Attachments
landing 3.jpg
landing 3.jpg (95.92 KiB) Viewed 2402 times
repositioning for fuel 07.jpg
repositioning for fuel 07.jpg (64.92 KiB) Viewed 2402 times
moose_meat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by moose_meat »

I've flown one once or twice you could say. I actually LIKE the no wing struts as it makes it very nice for pumping floats, taking pictures and walking on the floats. Why is it so crazy to have a float plane without one? You can walk wingtip to wing tip on that thing and they won't even flex. We have wing ropes on ours, so there was no grabbing the pitot tube when docking. Problem solved.

The Aerocet floats were quite impressive. I only had to pump them twice generally in between 50 hour inspections. No where near every morning. I'm not a fan of how the static port is located right ON the pitot tube as it cause quite a headache when I had a wasp building a nest out of mud in the tube, as well as when it rains and gets damp I've found I need to use pitot heat before/during take-off in order to have my airspeed register anything.

The flap switch is fine, as with anything you get used to it. I just wish there was a backup to manually move them. Kind of a neat perspective sitting in the cockpit - the long cowling makes for a "hot-rod" type feel. Whenever the weather got really bad it was nice to be able to look out my side window and literally look straight down (thanks to no wing strut), see the entire length of the float (even past the front of it) as well as straight out to my left or right again thanks to no wing strut.

Hated the plane at first, but the more I flew it, the more it grew on me and I got really good at flying it. I'd fly one any day. I flew the 2nd gen. built in 2003.

Fennwick44
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Fennwick44 »

Great airplane!! They just never got the chance with all the 180/185 around. If the design was 10 years earlier the tilte of this blog would be " those old 185's with wing struts??WTF" 180 degree swing open doors x 4. Nose into a beech and run down the floats with a 1/4 of moose and throw it in... nice, very little maintenance- less than 185, and Lyc engine, that's worth it right there, Good performance, no faster then a 185. Same as a 185 off the water(loaded). I hear the new one may be even better. Electric flaps.... a negative. The old ones have a nice flap system.

Hey Shotgun . is that Trophy Lake in the back ground.

moose_meat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by moose_meat »

Fennwick44 wrote:...Same as a 185 off the water(loaded)...

I think it's important to note that not only is this true, but the Found fully loaded on floats also weighs 450 pounds MORE than a 185 on floats fully loaded. Quite impressive really. Although in my experience, the 185 was faster on floats than the found, and was like flying a bullet when a tail wind was present which was a nice change from barely beating the beaver in the Found.

In the case of which one I like more: Found vs. C-185 I still can't decide.

Shotgun Chuck McCoy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Yessir, up in the draw on the far shore...

PM me with who you is (if you wish) - do we know eachother?

Cheers

sstocker31
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by sstocker31 »

I talked to a Found F-100 pilot once and he said the airplane had a nasty characteristic that would kill you if you didn't know about it/trained for it.......conversation moved on and I never found out what it was. Does anyone here know?

Caracrane
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Caracrane »

That's why you never FOUND!!! :lol:

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”