Misc locked?
Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog
-
bizjets101
- Rank 10

- Posts: 2105
- Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:44 pm
Re: Misc locked?
FlightAware went through the same thing, here is their answer;
http://discussions.flightaware.com/viewtopic.php?t=4618
So far, it's lasted 3 years, 4,830 posts, 420,339 views un-moderated . . .
http://discussions.flightaware.com/viewtopic.php?t=4618
So far, it's lasted 3 years, 4,830 posts, 420,339 views un-moderated . . .
Re: Misc locked?
Even if they break the law? Life ain't black and white...shades of gray....BEFAN5 wrote:Stop bashing the law enforcement people!!!
That'll buff right out 


-
. ._
- Top Poster

- Posts: 7374
- Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2004 5:50 pm
- Location: Cowering in my little room because the Water Cooler is locked.
- Contact:
Re: Misc locked?
If the Misc. is gone, I'm gone. IMHO, it's what makes this site great.
My $0.02.
-istp
My $0.02.
-istp
Re: Misc locked?
I wouldn't miss the Misc. forum at all... or istp...
Seriously though, I wouldn't want to see long timer posters leave, but I wouldn't miss misc. forum at all - keep it aviation and ban people who aren't able to keep any disagreements (aviation-wise) in respectful tone... no more shit-slinging.
Seriously though, I wouldn't want to see long timer posters leave, but I wouldn't miss misc. forum at all - keep it aviation and ban people who aren't able to keep any disagreements (aviation-wise) in respectful tone... no more shit-slinging.
Re: Misc locked?
The removal of the Misc. Forum in its present state would get no disagreement from me! It seems most topics that get moved there from the regular forums get moved due to distasteful content and discussion irrelevant to aviation. The few times I actually visited the misc. forum it seemed most topics were either ridiculous or distasteful.
I for one am not interested in looking at boobs, hot chicks (or male genitalia and hot guys for that matter) or hot cars. I come here for aviation!
I am also completely disinterested in any unkind, uneducated or ill-informed opinions. It makes me both angry, and sad to read sexist, racist or every other kind of discriminatory voicing of opinion against a group of differing race, religion, belief or sexual orientation. Sad because we're really a lousy race of people. Angry because I feel if I don't speak out against the behavior it seems I condone it, and if I do speak out it would require I waste a lot of time and energy on individuals unwilling to listen or incapable of respect.
Whatever happened to respect? Respect for others? Respect for yourself? Respect for the beliefs, values, cultures and opinions of a diverse group of individuals?
AvCanada seems to be on a death spiral, but I for one keep hoping it will get cleaned up so I stick around. I know there are many others like me... This is the only real Canadian Aviation forum we have. Why not re-focus all that hate and negative energy into something positive?
Private aviation should be fun. Commercial aviation should be fun, and for many of us it still is. However when it isn't, it would be nicer to come on here for some cheering up and moral support rather than public stoning and lynch-mob type behavior. I'll keep hoping.
Cheers,
Kirsten B.
I for one am not interested in looking at boobs, hot chicks (or male genitalia and hot guys for that matter) or hot cars. I come here for aviation!
I am also completely disinterested in any unkind, uneducated or ill-informed opinions. It makes me both angry, and sad to read sexist, racist or every other kind of discriminatory voicing of opinion against a group of differing race, religion, belief or sexual orientation. Sad because we're really a lousy race of people. Angry because I feel if I don't speak out against the behavior it seems I condone it, and if I do speak out it would require I waste a lot of time and energy on individuals unwilling to listen or incapable of respect.
Whatever happened to respect? Respect for others? Respect for yourself? Respect for the beliefs, values, cultures and opinions of a diverse group of individuals?
AvCanada seems to be on a death spiral, but I for one keep hoping it will get cleaned up so I stick around. I know there are many others like me... This is the only real Canadian Aviation forum we have. Why not re-focus all that hate and negative energy into something positive?
Private aviation should be fun. Commercial aviation should be fun, and for many of us it still is. However when it isn't, it would be nicer to come on here for some cheering up and moral support rather than public stoning and lynch-mob type behavior. I'll keep hoping.
Cheers,
Kirsten B.
“Never interrupt someone doing something you said couldn’t be done.” Amelia Earhart
-
the_professor
- Rank (9)

- Posts: 1130
- Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:03 pm
Re: Misc locked?
Two suggestions
1: Make this a 100 percent aviation web site.
2: All members have to be involved in aviation.
This could be taken to include indirect involvement such as aviation reporters, writers or non flying family members of those involved in aviation, Air ambulance personnel.
Bob
1: Make this a 100 percent aviation web site.
2: All members have to be involved in aviation.
This could be taken to include indirect involvement such as aviation reporters, writers or non flying family members of those involved in aviation, Air ambulance personnel.
Bob
Re: Misc locked?
Get rid of Misc!the_professor wrote:+1istp wrote:If the Misc. is gone, I'm gone.
Re: Misc locked?
Not much of a D-Fence!Hedley wrote:Get rid of Misc!the_professor wrote:+1istp wrote:If the Misc. is gone, I'm gone.
Re: Misc locked?
Get rid of misc +1
--In his wrapup remarks, the FAA chief said, "If you think the safety bar is set too high, then your
standards are set too low."
standards are set too low."
- cdnpilot77
- Rank 10

- Posts: 2467
- Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:24 pm
Re: Misc locked?
I would not like to see the removal of the misc forum but that will be up to Joe, obviously. I think about what non-aviation people, like the badger (sorry to centre you out) think after coming into this site to learn about our industry. I am embarassed that I lowered myself to the level of a couple of the notorious posters.
There are societal issues that always have a place for discussion and debate but as I have this revelation others need to realise information in moderation is much more helpful and resourceful than annoying, distasteful and downright obscene rhetoric.
There are societal issues that always have a place for discussion and debate but as I have this revelation others need to realise information in moderation is much more helpful and resourceful than annoying, distasteful and downright obscene rhetoric.
Re: Misc locked?
General better get interesting quickly then...
"FLY THE AIRPLANE"!
http://www.youtube.com/hazatude
http://www.youtube.com/hazatude
Re: Misc locked?
If we no longer have a misc section, where would we post discussions on formation flying like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYfpjAkR ... ure=autofb

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYfpjAkR ... ure=autofb
bmc
-
niss
- Top Poster

- Posts: 6745
- Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2005 8:54 pm
- Location: I'm a CPL trapped in a PPL's Body.
- Contact:
Re: Misc locked?
I am not in the industry but I hardly consider myself a kiddy or a fool and I do happen to value my time, I just use it differently then you would choose to.PanEuropean wrote: I strongly recommend that you do this. Forum participants who value their time (most likely because they are employed in the industry, and thus likely to be part of the demographic your advertisers are targeting) will thank you from the bottom of their heart.
And what about people who want to get involved in aviation? The ones poking around because it interests them?beaverbob wrote:Two suggestions
1: Make this a 100 percent aviation web site.
2: All members have to be involved in aviation.
This could be taken to include indirect involvement such as aviation reporters, writers or non flying family members of those involved in aviation, Air ambulance personnel.
Bob
How is a flying nurse/paramedic/doctor and more deserving to be here then an unlicensed, non flying aviation enthusiast?
Most of the people who think that Misc should go do not partake in it. I have no vested interest in the WestJet/Air Canada threads, should I advocate that they be deleted as well?
Misc should stay but be more moderated. Perhaps open a sub-forum for things like Police, so that way anyone who wants to have a pro/anti argument can do so with out spamming the forum. At least then the misc. participants wouldn't have the first page of just cop stuff and then have to look at it just by being in that forum.
Misc is a great place to just bullshit, and have debates, etc. But every debate needs a moderator.
Politics, Religion, Money, and Weightloss. These things can not be discussed without getting out of control with out proper moderation. Put a giant warning on it that says this stuff can offend, but your posts are at the mercy of the mods. Underline the last part.
She’s built like a Steakhouse, but she handles like a Bistro.
Let's kick the tires, and light the fires.... SHIT! FIRE! EMERGENCY CHECKLIST!
Let's kick the tires, and light the fires.... SHIT! FIRE! EMERGENCY CHECKLIST!
Re: Misc locked?
It's a nice idea, but it's not working. The moderators asked for a temporary timeout on the cop-hating threads, and the cop-haters ignored it. I actually tried pointing out to the cop-haters right before Misc was locked that they were not respecting the moderator's requests, and their response was something garbled about free speech, we don't care, and this is more important than this website.Misc should stay
Sigh. Well, I guess the cop-haters got what they wanted. Flush Misc, IMHO. It's not working.
- Troubleshot
- Rank (9)

- Posts: 1291
- Joined: Sat May 27, 2006 12:00 pm
Re: Misc locked?
I am for removing Misc. Forum
I have learned plenty over the years from the other forums, the Misc. forum....not so much. If you've got something to get off your chest, head to the chat room and discuss it there.
I have learned plenty over the years from the other forums, the Misc. forum....not so much. If you've got something to get off your chest, head to the chat room and discuss it there.
-
5400AirportRdSouth
- Rank 5

- Posts: 362
- Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:23 am
Re: Misc locked?
Personally, I enjoy the Misc forum, but find the endless cop threads tiring.
If you liken it to a bar, the guy in the corner kicking over tables and mumbling to himself, ruining the enjoyment of the establishment for the vast majority of the patrons, would just get shown the door and we'd all go back to enjoying our beer.
I've never used the "foe" function, but if it were used by the mods to get a head count of those not welcome here, I'd happily cast my "vote" so I can continue to enjoy the forum.
If you liken it to a bar, the guy in the corner kicking over tables and mumbling to himself, ruining the enjoyment of the establishment for the vast majority of the patrons, would just get shown the door and we'd all go back to enjoying our beer.
I've never used the "foe" function, but if it were used by the mods to get a head count of those not welcome here, I'd happily cast my "vote" so I can continue to enjoy the forum.
Remember, only YOU can stop Narcissism
-
bizjets101
- Rank 10

- Posts: 2105
- Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:44 pm
Re: Misc locked?
As there is no misc forum to post in, just wondering which tastes better;
Click Here
I vote to keep the misc. forum now that I know it's there!!
Which reminds me, Conrad Black won a major court ruling - two of his charges are history - he won't be retried on them. Must be nice to be rich!!!!
I worked for Innotech when he had his Falcon 20 CF-WRA, then his first Challenger C-GWRT.
(Not really his, but heh - he didn't know that, really
)
Click Here
I vote to keep the misc. forum now that I know it's there!!
Which reminds me, Conrad Black won a major court ruling - two of his charges are history - he won't be retried on them. Must be nice to be rich!!!!
I worked for Innotech when he had his Falcon 20 CF-WRA, then his first Challenger C-GWRT.
(Not really his, but heh - he didn't know that, really
-
SeptRepair
- Rank 8

- Posts: 889
- Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:41 pm
- Location: Wet Coast.
Re: Misc locked?
I'm with the get rid of the misc forum crowd. Doesn't add anything of substance.
How can you tell which one is the pilot when you walk into a bar?....Don't worry he will come up and tell you.
- Siddley Hawker
- Rank 11

- Posts: 3353
- Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2004 6:56 pm
- Location: 50.13N 66.17W
Re: Misc locked?
This discussion went 'round and 'round on PPRuNe - with reference to Jet Blast - until it disappeared up it's own fundament, not unlike it's doing here. Jet Blast would close periodically and Danny threatened to get rid of it altogether, but after some consideration he realized given the percentage hits on that particular forum and the advertising revenue would take a kicking. The upshot was, the mods of the Jet Blast forum were given a mighty big stick and were encouraged to wield it, with the result if the ROE were breached you get one warning, then you're out on your ass. I'm not suggesting anything, just saying what went on on PPRuNe, but if the JB mods can ride herd on a forum as large as Jet Blast, given similar tools the Miscellaneous Forum mods should be encouraged to do the same thing here.
-
midwingcrisis
- Rank 5

- Posts: 371
- Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:54 pm
Re: Misc locked?
I just noted the Misc section for the 1st time. I think keeping it is good thing. It will help clean up the retoric in General Comments. Besides, it would be an option for those that have Training Bonds as part of their employment prerequiste to ask for your User Name on AVCANADA rather than fork over the desired amount. Looks like good reading material there!!
PLEASE KEEP MISC.
PLEASE KEEP MISC.
How do you go 205 kts TAS on 32 gal/hr without turbos!
-
albertdesalvo
- Rank 8

- Posts: 811
- Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:38 pm
Re: Misc locked?
Don't stop there, take Avcanada offline permanently. The sun will rise tomorrow anyway. Notwithstanding the wishes of the Mighty Forum Gods.avcanada wrote:I'm considering closing this forum. I'm going to review this forum over the next couple of days.
-
the_professor
- Rank (9)

- Posts: 1130
- Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:03 pm
Re: Misc locked?
When I'm browsing in a store and I see merchandise that doesn't interest me, I walk by it and focus instead on what I'm interested in. I don't see why a web site like this would be treated any differently. Don't like the cop threads? DON'T click on them. Don't like a user? Make them a 'foe'. Why is that so difficult for some of you?
Re: Misc locked?
Pertinent, even opposing views, should be published providing they play the ball, not the man. How much more simple do you want?
If you can't personally deal with certain topics or the other psychic sandpaper that makes people so thin skinned they go off like a firework display, the advice is learn a strategy or avoid them. If you can't do that then, tough...and try not to impersonate a headless chicken in the process.
Whoops … there’s a knock on my door. Michael Moore wants me deported for making fun of fat people.
If you can't personally deal with certain topics or the other psychic sandpaper that makes people so thin skinned they go off like a firework display, the advice is learn a strategy or avoid them. If you can't do that then, tough...and try not to impersonate a headless chicken in the process.
Whoops … there’s a knock on my door. Michael Moore wants me deported for making fun of fat people.
