Misc locked?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

bizjets101
Rank 10
Rank 10
Posts: 2105
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:44 pm

Re: Misc locked?

Post by bizjets101 »

FlightAware went through the same thing, here is their answer;

http://discussions.flightaware.com/viewtopic.php?t=4618

So far, it's lasted 3 years, 4,830 posts, 420,339 views un-moderated . . .
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
Dash-Ate
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1760
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:15 pm
Location: Placarded INOP

Re: Misc locked?

Post by Dash-Ate »

BEFAN5 wrote:Stop bashing the law enforcement people!!!
Even if they break the law? Life ain't black and white...shades of gray....
---------- ADS -----------
 
That'll buff right out :rolleyes:
Image
. ._
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 7374
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2004 5:50 pm
Location: Cowering in my little room because the Water Cooler is locked.
Contact:

Re: Misc locked?

Post by . ._ »

If the Misc. is gone, I'm gone. IMHO, it's what makes this site great.

My $0.02.

-istp :roll:
---------- ADS -----------
 
altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 6008
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2005 2:24 pm

Re: Misc locked?

Post by altiplano »

I wouldn't miss the Misc. forum at all... or istp...

Seriously though, I wouldn't want to see long timer posters leave, but I wouldn't miss misc. forum at all - keep it aviation and ban people who aren't able to keep any disagreements (aviation-wise) in respectful tone... no more shit-slinging.
---------- ADS -----------
 
snoopy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1118
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 6:19 pm
Location: The Dog House

Re: Misc locked?

Post by snoopy »

The removal of the Misc. Forum in its present state would get no disagreement from me! It seems most topics that get moved there from the regular forums get moved due to distasteful content and discussion irrelevant to aviation. The few times I actually visited the misc. forum it seemed most topics were either ridiculous or distasteful.

I for one am not interested in looking at boobs, hot chicks (or male genitalia and hot guys for that matter) or hot cars. I come here for aviation!

I am also completely disinterested in any unkind, uneducated or ill-informed opinions. It makes me both angry, and sad to read sexist, racist or every other kind of discriminatory voicing of opinion against a group of differing race, religion, belief or sexual orientation. Sad because we're really a lousy race of people. Angry because I feel if I don't speak out against the behavior it seems I condone it, and if I do speak out it would require I waste a lot of time and energy on individuals unwilling to listen or incapable of respect.

Whatever happened to respect? Respect for others? Respect for yourself? Respect for the beliefs, values, cultures and opinions of a diverse group of individuals?

AvCanada seems to be on a death spiral, but I for one keep hoping it will get cleaned up so I stick around. I know there are many others like me... This is the only real Canadian Aviation forum we have. Why not re-focus all that hate and negative energy into something positive?

Private aviation should be fun. Commercial aviation should be fun, and for many of us it still is. However when it isn't, it would be nicer to come on here for some cheering up and moral support rather than public stoning and lynch-mob type behavior. I'll keep hoping.

Cheers,
Kirsten B.
---------- ADS -----------
 
“Never interrupt someone doing something you said couldn’t be done.” Amelia Earhart
the_professor
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1130
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:03 pm

Re: Misc locked?

Post by the_professor »

istp wrote:If the Misc. is gone, I'm gone.
+1
---------- ADS -----------
 
beaverbob
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 722
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:34 pm
Location: BC

Re: Misc locked?

Post by beaverbob »

Two suggestions
1: Make this a 100 percent aviation web site.
2: All members have to be involved in aviation.
This could be taken to include indirect involvement such as aviation reporters, writers or non flying family members of those involved in aviation, Air ambulance personnel.
Bob
---------- ADS -----------
 
Hedley
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 10430
Joined: Thu May 27, 2004 6:40 am
Location: CYSH
Contact:

Re: Misc locked?

Post by Hedley »

the_professor wrote:
istp wrote:If the Misc. is gone, I'm gone.
+1
Get rid of Misc! :wink:
---------- ADS -----------
 
Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 9241
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 6:28 am

Re: Misc locked?

Post by Doc »

Hedley wrote:
the_professor wrote:
istp wrote:If the Misc. is gone, I'm gone.
+1
Get rid of Misc! :wink:
Not much of a D-Fence!
---------- ADS -----------
 
Benwa
Rank 8
Rank 8
Posts: 850
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2004 8:28 pm
Location: CYQB

Re: Misc locked?

Post by Benwa »

Get rid of misc +1
---------- ADS -----------
 
--In his wrapup remarks, the FAA chief said, "If you think the safety bar is set too high, then your
standards are set too low."
User avatar
cdnpilot77
Rank 10
Rank 10
Posts: 2467
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:24 pm

Re: Misc locked?

Post by cdnpilot77 »

I would not like to see the removal of the misc forum but that will be up to Joe, obviously. I think about what non-aviation people, like the badger (sorry to centre you out) think after coming into this site to learn about our industry. I am embarassed that I lowered myself to the level of a couple of the notorious posters.

There are societal issues that always have a place for discussion and debate but as I have this revelation others need to realise information in moderation is much more helpful and resourceful than annoying, distasteful and downright obscene rhetoric.
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
hazatude
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 6103
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2005 4:02 pm
Location: Hamilton
Contact:

Re: Misc locked?

Post by hazatude »

General better get interesting quickly then...
---------- ADS -----------
 
bmc
Rank 11
Rank 11
Posts: 4014
Joined: Tue May 16, 2006 10:06 pm
Location: Switzerland

Re: Misc locked?

Post by bmc »

If we no longer have a misc section, where would we post discussions on formation flying like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYfpjAkR ... ure=autofb

:mrgreen:
---------- ADS -----------
 
bmc
niss
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 6745
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2005 8:54 pm
Location: I'm a CPL trapped in a PPL's Body.
Contact:

Re: Misc locked?

Post by niss »

PanEuropean wrote: I strongly recommend that you do this. Forum participants who value their time (most likely because they are employed in the industry, and thus likely to be part of the demographic your advertisers are targeting) will thank you from the bottom of their heart.
I am not in the industry but I hardly consider myself a kiddy or a fool and I do happen to value my time, I just use it differently then you would choose to.
beaverbob wrote:Two suggestions
1: Make this a 100 percent aviation web site.
2: All members have to be involved in aviation.
This could be taken to include indirect involvement such as aviation reporters, writers or non flying family members of those involved in aviation, Air ambulance personnel.
Bob
And what about people who want to get involved in aviation? The ones poking around because it interests them?

How is a flying nurse/paramedic/doctor and more deserving to be here then an unlicensed, non flying aviation enthusiast?

Most of the people who think that Misc should go do not partake in it. I have no vested interest in the WestJet/Air Canada threads, should I advocate that they be deleted as well?

Misc should stay but be more moderated. Perhaps open a sub-forum for things like Police, so that way anyone who wants to have a pro/anti argument can do so with out spamming the forum. At least then the misc. participants wouldn't have the first page of just cop stuff and then have to look at it just by being in that forum.

Misc is a great place to just bullshit, and have debates, etc. But every debate needs a moderator.

Politics, Religion, Money, and Weightloss. These things can not be discussed without getting out of control with out proper moderation. Put a giant warning on it that says this stuff can offend, but your posts are at the mercy of the mods. Underline the last part.
---------- ADS -----------
 
She’s built like a Steakhouse, but she handles like a Bistro.

Let's kick the tires, and light the fires.... SHIT! FIRE! EMERGENCY CHECKLIST!
Hedley
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 10430
Joined: Thu May 27, 2004 6:40 am
Location: CYSH
Contact:

Re: Misc locked?

Post by Hedley »

Misc should stay
It's a nice idea, but it's not working. The moderators asked for a temporary timeout on the cop-hating threads, and the cop-haters ignored it. I actually tried pointing out to the cop-haters right before Misc was locked that they were not respecting the moderator's requests, and their response was something garbled about free speech, we don't care, and this is more important than this website.

Sigh. Well, I guess the cop-haters got what they wanted. Flush Misc, IMHO. It's not working.
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
Troubleshot
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1291
Joined: Sat May 27, 2006 12:00 pm

Re: Misc locked?

Post by Troubleshot »

I am for removing Misc. Forum

I have learned plenty over the years from the other forums, the Misc. forum....not so much. If you've got something to get off your chest, head to the chat room and discuss it there.
---------- ADS -----------
 
bmc
Rank 11
Rank 11
Posts: 4014
Joined: Tue May 16, 2006 10:06 pm
Location: Switzerland

Re: Misc locked?

Post by bmc »

The problem is broader than cop hater threads.
---------- ADS -----------
 
bmc
5400AirportRdSouth
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 362
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:23 am

Re: Misc locked?

Post by 5400AirportRdSouth »

Personally, I enjoy the Misc forum, but find the endless cop threads tiring.

If you liken it to a bar, the guy in the corner kicking over tables and mumbling to himself, ruining the enjoyment of the establishment for the vast majority of the patrons, would just get shown the door and we'd all go back to enjoying our beer.

I've never used the "foe" function, but if it were used by the mods to get a head count of those not welcome here, I'd happily cast my "vote" so I can continue to enjoy the forum.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Remember, only YOU can stop Narcissism
bizjets101
Rank 10
Rank 10
Posts: 2105
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:44 pm

Re: Misc locked?

Post by bizjets101 »

As there is no misc forum to post in, just wondering which tastes better;

Click Here

I vote to keep the misc. forum now that I know it's there!!

Which reminds me, Conrad Black won a major court ruling - two of his charges are history - he won't be retried on them. Must be nice to be rich!!!!

I worked for Innotech when he had his Falcon 20 CF-WRA, then his first Challenger C-GWRT.
(Not really his, but heh - he didn't know that, really :) )
---------- ADS -----------
 
SeptRepair
Rank 8
Rank 8
Posts: 889
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:41 pm
Location: Wet Coast.

Re: Misc locked?

Post by SeptRepair »

I'm with the get rid of the misc forum crowd. Doesn't add anything of substance.
---------- ADS -----------
 
How can you tell which one is the pilot when you walk into a bar?....Don't worry he will come up and tell you.
User avatar
Siddley Hawker
Rank 11
Rank 11
Posts: 3353
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2004 6:56 pm
Location: 50.13N 66.17W

Re: Misc locked?

Post by Siddley Hawker »

This discussion went 'round and 'round on PPRuNe - with reference to Jet Blast - until it disappeared up it's own fundament, not unlike it's doing here. Jet Blast would close periodically and Danny threatened to get rid of it altogether, but after some consideration he realized given the percentage hits on that particular forum and the advertising revenue would take a kicking. The upshot was, the mods of the Jet Blast forum were given a mighty big stick and were encouraged to wield it, with the result if the ROE were breached you get one warning, then you're out on your ass. I'm not suggesting anything, just saying what went on on PPRuNe, but if the JB mods can ride herd on a forum as large as Jet Blast, given similar tools the Miscellaneous Forum mods should be encouraged to do the same thing here.
---------- ADS -----------
 
midwingcrisis
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 371
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:54 pm

Re: Misc locked?

Post by midwingcrisis »

I just noted the Misc section for the 1st time. I think keeping it is good thing. It will help clean up the retoric in General Comments. Besides, it would be an option for those that have Training Bonds as part of their employment prerequiste to ask for your User Name on AVCANADA rather than fork over the desired amount. Looks like good reading material there!!

PLEASE KEEP MISC.
---------- ADS -----------
 
How do you go 205 kts TAS on 32 gal/hr without turbos!
albertdesalvo
Rank 8
Rank 8
Posts: 811
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:38 pm

Re: Misc locked?

Post by albertdesalvo »

avcanada wrote:I'm considering closing this forum. I'm going to review this forum over the next couple of days.
Don't stop there, take Avcanada offline permanently. The sun will rise tomorrow anyway. Notwithstanding the wishes of the Mighty Forum Gods. :vom:
---------- ADS -----------
 
the_professor
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1130
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:03 pm

Re: Misc locked?

Post by the_professor »

When I'm browsing in a store and I see merchandise that doesn't interest me, I walk by it and focus instead on what I'm interested in. I don't see why a web site like this would be treated any differently. Don't like the cop threads? DON'T click on them. Don't like a user? Make them a 'foe'. Why is that so difficult for some of you?
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
JakeYYZ
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1293
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:24 pm

Re: Misc locked?

Post by JakeYYZ »

Pertinent, even opposing views, should be published providing they play the ball, not the man. How much more simple do you want?
If you can't personally deal with certain topics or the other psychic sandpaper that makes people so thin skinned they go off like a firework display, the advice is learn a strategy or avoid them. If you can't do that then, tough...and try not to impersonate a headless chicken in the process.
Whoops … there’s a knock on my door. Michael Moore wants me deported for making fun of fat people.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Locked

Return to “General Comments”