Electronic CX-2 E6B and ATPL exams

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Road Trip
Rank 2
Rank 2

Electronic CX-2 E6B and ATPL exams

Post by Road Trip »

Has anyone written the ATPL exams using only an electronic E6B? If so was there anything it couldn't do that the old style wiz wheel could?

I'm getting conflicting responses. Some say you can use it and it should do all the same calculations. But another says I need the wiz wheel for calculating TAS, MACH and TAT?
---------- ADS -----------

AUGER9
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: Electronic CX-2 E6B and ATPL exams

Post by AUGER9 »

There were some questions in the aerocourse book that required the cr5 wheel that the cx2 couldn't do. I didn't need it on the actual exams though.

tvguru
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tvguru »

Agreed. Wrote them both on thursday and while I had an E6B with me it wasn't needed. Can't hurt to have one there though, just in case.

BingBong
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by BingBong »

Use CX2 for Groundspeed Q's...its way faster I think....

Use CR4 for mach number and temp rise Q's....E6B is for cct jockeys and private pilots

angry inch
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by angry inch »

I just wrote them as well & did fine with the 'ol (manual) E6B & Radio Shack calculator. As far as time goes, the allotted 3-1/2 hrs is way more time than you should need. Also, I did not get any Q's that required a TAT calculation. I don't think you can do that on the old school manual E6B...

Maritimer
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Maritimer »

I used the electronic E6B for my exams in 2009. I found it came in quite handy. Especially for the LEMAC and MAC calculations as well as the basic GS and fuel calculations. If you don't need it, great. I always preferred the, have it but don't need it rather than the need it and don't have it situation.

PS expect that if you do use it to have the end calculations slightly off from what the possible answers given will be. Remember that there is a certain amount of "rounding" involved in the answers on those exams.

skybaron
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by skybaron »

Don't waste your $ on the cx2.
The standard e6b will do.

Garrett Power
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Garrett Power »

I am looking to buy the aerocourse atpl study material or any other manuals that will help me prepare for the exams. If anyone is looking to offload theirs please pm me.

Return to “General Comments”