Passenger Oxygen on Commercial Airliners
Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore
Passenger Oxygen on Commercial Airliners
Hi guys, I post this here because I suspect those who would be best to answer my question would be those responsible for maintenance.
I was chatting with someone on another board about his relative who had a medical condition. He told me that the flight crew dropped one and only one of the emergency oxygen masks for him to use during the flight.
I was going to call BS on him because my understanding is that these emergency oxygen masks are actually connected to a mixture of chemicals which initiate a chemical reaction that produces oxygen for only about 10 - 15 minutes, this is the reason that one has to tug on the mask before applying it.
When my father who has COPD flew Air Canada, they had to ship a tank of oxygen out for him to use on the plane.
So, what do you think? Do I call BS on this guy or is there actually some sort of configuration that makes his statement possible?
I was chatting with someone on another board about his relative who had a medical condition. He told me that the flight crew dropped one and only one of the emergency oxygen masks for him to use during the flight.
I was going to call BS on him because my understanding is that these emergency oxygen masks are actually connected to a mixture of chemicals which initiate a chemical reaction that produces oxygen for only about 10 - 15 minutes, this is the reason that one has to tug on the mask before applying it.
When my father who has COPD flew Air Canada, they had to ship a tank of oxygen out for him to use on the plane.
So, what do you think? Do I call BS on this guy or is there actually some sort of configuration that makes his statement possible?
-
Deerinheadlights
- Rank 1

- Posts: 16
- Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:32 pm
Re: Passenger Oxygen on Commercial Airliners
Oxygen Gens. are emergancy decent (cabin decompression)only. They do carry small breathing oxy tanks for medical emerg.If the passenger boards a/c with a med condition the requires oxygen they bring more with passenger if they let them on at all.
Ox. Gens only give at most 15 minutes of oxygen.
Ox. Gens only give at most 15 minutes of oxygen.
Re: Passenger Oxygen on Commercial Airliners
That's about what I figured, thanks for the info.
Re: Passenger Oxygen on Commercial Airliners
Like said above, there is always a bottle of oxygen in the cabin somewhere whether it's ABOX for crew use or medi ox I'm not sure. I always make myself aware of the locations of the o2 tank, fire extinguisher and fume hood when i'm on a plane, cause' ya never know.
Re: Passenger Oxygen on Commercial Airliners
I hear ya, I'm a paramedic, so I tend to make sure I know where those items are too. I didn't think his story was quite right.
- Troubleshot
- Rank (9)

- Posts: 1291
- Joined: Sat May 27, 2006 12:00 pm
Re: Passenger Oxygen on Commercial Airliners
On older jets (737-200 for example) there are two large O2 bottles, one for passengers and one for crew that live in the forward baggage hold. As for starting just one PSU oxygen mask, that is not possible on that system.
Re: Passenger Oxygen on Commercial Airliners
FYI: all oxygen generators have recently been removed from the lavs on all airliners. In the event that someone is in the lav during a cabin depressurizatrion, they will be without oxygen. All this because some idiot in the FAA thought the oxygen generators are a hazard.
Re: Passenger Oxygen on Commercial Airliners
[quote="conehead"]FYI: all oxygen generators have recently been removed from the lavs on all airliners. In the event that someone is in the lav during a cabin depressurizatrion, they will be [b]without[/b] oxygen. All this because some idiot in the FAA thought the oxygen generators are a hazard.[/quote]
That's a shame - sometimes a little extra oxygen would come in handy there.
That's a shame - sometimes a little extra oxygen would come in handy there.
Re: Passenger Oxygen on Commercial Airliners
Re: Passenger Oxygen on Commercial Airliners
Your O2 delivery is based on your interior options. You can have generators or you can have a system hooked up to bottles. The cabin also has portable O2 bottles with different delivery rates as well. The systems can be operated automatically (rubber jungle) or manually.
Re: Passenger Oxygen on Commercial Airliners
Some airplanes have a few medical/therapeutic oxygen ports spread throughout the cabin. For advance notice and a nominal charge, they will position you in proximity to a port and supply you with oxygen during the flight.
Those ports are hooked to a tank, not generators as is typical in many aircraft passenger oxygen systems.
Those ports are hooked to a tank, not generators as is typical in many aircraft passenger oxygen systems.
-
bombardierfixer
- Rank 7

- Posts: 564
- Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:26 am
- Location: YYC
Re: Passenger Oxygen on Commercial Airliners
When the masks drop how long does it take to get to 10,000ft? I think it would just be a shitty ride (pun intended) for the emergency descent. Passing out may be a nice option. The 02 genes are only good for 10-15 minutes anyway and thats for a calm person. I'm pretty sure when the rubber jungle appears its any thing but calm...
Re: Passenger Oxygen on Commercial Airliners
I'm just guessing, but a 2,000 fpm descent wouldn't be unreasonble, so, from FL400 to 10,000 feet would be about 15 min, and by the time the oxygen runs out the plane would be low enough, even at FL200 for the passengers to remain concious for the remaining few minutes to 10,000 on what little atmospheric oxygen is available.
Re: Passenger Oxygen on Commercial Airliners
6000 fpm for emergency descent is certainly not unheard of and a higher rate is attainable in some airplanes.





