Favorite aviation movies!

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

howard40
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 182
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:20 pm

Re: Favorite aviation movies!

Post by howard40 »

Dont waste too much time on the computer generated "fly boys" when the blue max is out there.... it is beautiful....and real. Battle of Britain was made in the 60's just as the spanish air force was retiring its "real" German bombers etc!! fantastic!
Watch the airplanes, ignore the stories LOL
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
burhead1
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 603
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:30 pm
Location: kinda north
Contact:

Re: Favorite aviation movies!

Post by burhead1 »

Air America

Blue Thunder Shut up its was GOOD :smt040
---------- ADS -----------
 
I_Drive_Planes
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 357
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:18 am
Location: Prince George

Re: Favorite aviation movies!

Post by I_Drive_Planes »

I'm a big fan of Air America. Chevaliers du Ciel was a shit movie, but it had some great flying scenes in it (think like a French Top Gun, with mirages instead of F-14s). I just ordered the dvd for One Six Right, it looks promising.
---------- ADS -----------
 
rubberduck
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:06 pm

Re: Favorite aviation movies!

Post by rubberduck »

Steven Spielberg's movie Always with Holly Hunter, John Goodman and Richard Dreyfuss is always a fun one to watch. Some nice WWII planes converted to water bombers and some cool flying shots.
---------- ADS -----------
 
warbirdpilot7
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 171
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:09 pm

Re: Favorite aviation movies!

Post by warbirdpilot7 »

rubberduck wrote:Steven Spielberg's movie Always with Holly Hunter, John Goodman and Richard Dreyfuss is always a fun one to watch. Some nice WWII planes converted to water bombers and some cool flying shots.
Good choice... John Goodman flies a PBY Catalina and Dreyfuss flies an A-26 Invader..

Battle of Britian is high on my list as well as Tora Tora Tora.
---------- ADS -----------
 
beaverbob
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 722
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:34 pm
Location: BC

Re: Favorite aviation movies!

Post by beaverbob »

Does anyone remember the movie about a Beaver pilot who takes off with an oil leak and later has an engine failure? During his lengthy stay in the bush he tames a Goose? and sends a message tied to the bird and is ultimately rescued. It was in the late 50's or 60's. I saw it as a ground school lesson.
Bob
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
Bushav8er
Rank 8
Rank 8
Posts: 936
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:37 am
Location: Northern Can

Re: Favorite aviation movies!

Post by Bushav8er »

beaverbob wrote:Does anyone remember the movie about a Beaver pilot who takes off with an oil leak and later has an engine failure? During his lengthy stay in the bush he tames a Goose? and sends a message tied to the bird and is ultimately rescued. It was in the late 50's or 60's. I saw it as a ground school lesson.
Bob
Was it "Wings of Chance"? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0055625/ I saw that but it is rare.
---------- ADS -----------
 
olorin
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:39 am

Re: Favorite aviation movies!

Post by olorin »

Here are some good ones:
Spitfire
One of our Aircraft is Missing
Reach For The Sky
Flite of The Intruder
30 Seconds over Tokyo
Flying Tigers

Note:
Spitfire and One of Our Aircraft is Missing can be found on a DVD ....The Collector's Series WWII Movies. Also on that DVD is We Dive At Dawn
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
208Drvr
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 41
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:46 pm
Location: Over here

Re: Favorite aviation movies!

Post by 208Drvr »

Behind Enemy Lines,

I found a VHS copy of Air America and a machine to play the VHS things. So its looking like my vote would be for Air America.
---------- ADS -----------
 
sstaurus
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 734
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:32 pm

Re: Favorite aviation movies!

Post by sstaurus »

I've never found a copy of the movie, but this footage from 'Murphy's War' has some pretty intense flying with a Duck..

---------- ADS -----------
 
iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 8132
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:25 pm
Location: Winterfell...

Re: Favorite aviation movies!

Post by iflyforpie »

Cantung wrote:Bat 21!
I forgot about that one until I watched it on Netflix a while back. Awesome movie! Of course I am a little biased since I drive a 337. :D
---------- ADS -----------
 
Last edited by iflyforpie on Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
User avatar
Midnight Sun Flyer
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 83
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:24 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Favorite aviation movies!

Post by Midnight Sun Flyer »

West Coast Swell wrote:Mother Lode

How not to land your Beaver on Lake Lovely water.

Mother Loge...Yep I will never forget that one.
My old time favourite was Captains of the Clouds starring James Cagney
also I liked 633 Squadron an outstanding depiction of wartime bravery and courage.
---------- ADS -----------
 
If you want to grow old as a pilot, you've got to know when to push it, and when to back off.
. Yeager


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qstkil0a ... re=related
warbirdpilot7
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 171
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:09 pm

Re: Favorite aviation movies!

Post by warbirdpilot7 »

Midnight Sun Flyer wrote:
West Coast Swell wrote:Mother Lode

How not to land your Beaver on Lake Lovely water.

Mother Loge...Yep I will never forget that one.
My old time favourite was Captains of the Clouds starring James Cagney
also I liked 633 Squadron an outstanding depiction of wartime bravery and courage.
Good choice! I have asoft spot for the deHavilland Mosquito :wink:
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
Midnight Sun Flyer
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 83
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:24 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Favorite aviation movies!

Post by Midnight Sun Flyer »

warbirdpilot7 wrote:
Midnight Sun Flyer wrote:
West Coast Swell wrote:Mother Lode

How not to land your Beaver on Lake Lovely water.

Mother Loge...Yep I will never forget that one.
My old time favourite was Captains of the Clouds starring James Cagney
also I liked 633 Squadron an outstanding depiction of wartime bravery and courage.
Good choice! I have asoft spot for the deHavilland Mosquito :wink:

Me too, My first year flying I flew with a Pilot who flew de Havilland Mosquito's in WW2, I will always cherish my flights with him.
---------- ADS -----------
 
If you want to grow old as a pilot, you've got to know when to push it, and when to back off.
. Yeager


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qstkil0a ... re=related
SpyPilot
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 166
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:48 pm

Re: Favorite aviation movies!

Post by SpyPilot »

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Thought I'd jump in with a thread bump. So far all my favourites are here, even Deadly Encounter.

Here's a few more that aren't aviation movies but why not widen the list to include movies with great flying scenes.

"It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World" with Mickey Rooney and Buddy Hackett trying to land the Twin Beech after Jim Bachus knocks himself out cold after going into the back to mix up a batch of martini's. There's also a good scene with an old crop duster.

"Fandango". Anyone who's flown skydivers has seen this one for sure.

"Never Cry Wolf" with Brian Dennehy as the bush pilot of a tired old Beaver and Charles Martin Smith sneaking a load of Moosehead into the canoe. Later in the movie Dennehy shows up in a spanking new Porter.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Last edited by SpyPilot on Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
beaverbob
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 722
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:34 pm
Location: BC

Re: Favorite aviation movies!

Post by beaverbob »

Bushav8er wrote:
beaverbob wrote:Does anyone remember the movie about a Beaver pilot who takes off with an oil leak and later has an engine failure? During his lengthy stay in the bush he tames a Goose? and sends a message tied to the bird and is ultimately rescued. It was in the late 50's or 60's. I saw it as a ground school lesson.
Bob
Was it "Wings of Chance"? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0055625/ I saw that but it is rare.
That's the one, I saw it when it was a new movie. Interestingly, the information page said it was the first full length feature movie shot in Canada.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 5166
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2005 12:26 pm
Location: On Borrowed Wings

Re: Favorite aviation movies!

Post by Rowdy »

SpyPilot wrote: "Never Cry Wolf" with Brian Dennehy as the bush pilot of a tired old Beaver and Charles Martin Smith sneaking a load of Moosehead into the canoe. Later in the movie Dennehy shows up in a spanking new Porter.
I know the pilot who did all the flying for that :wink:
---------- ADS -----------
 
bigsky
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 298
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:34 am
Location: Alberta

Re: Favorite aviation movies!

Post by bigsky »

Rowdy wrote:
SpyPilot wrote: "Never Cry Wolf" with Brian Dennehy as the bush pilot of a tired old Beaver and Charles Martin Smith sneaking a load of Moosehead into the canoe. Later in the movie Dennehy shows up in a spanking new Porter.
I know the pilot who did all the flying for that :wink:
I think BG flew the Porter, there was also quite a few shots of a Beaver, not sure he flew that.
If I recall, some of the Beaver shots were done while still in the hangar. I believe most of the actual DHC-2 flying shots were done in the Yukon between Whitehorse and Skagway.

But I could stand to be corrected on this...
---------- ADS -----------
 
There is no substitute for BIG JUGS!!
Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 5166
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2005 12:26 pm
Location: On Borrowed Wings

Re: Favorite aviation movies!

Post by Rowdy »

I should have worded that differently, didnt realize it could be taken that way. :wink: But yes, BG flew the porter and helped out elsewhere. I'll have to ask em when he gets back from SL.
---------- ADS -----------
 
hoptwoit
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 251
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2005 1:43 am

Re: Favorite aviation movies!

Post by hoptwoit »

How about "The last flight of noas ark" a B 29 that gets turned into a boat.
---------- ADS -----------
 
People should not have to fear both the government and the criminal. It should be that the criminal fears both the people and the government.
outsider
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 90
Joined: Tue May 25, 2004 10:19 am

Re: Favorite aviation movies!

Post by outsider »

Aviator with Leo
Memphis Belle
Always
The Right Stuff
Fire Fox
Pearl Harbor
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
oldtimer
Rank 10
Rank 10
Posts: 2296
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 7:04 pm
Location: Calgary

Re: Favorite aviation movies!

Post by oldtimer »

My all time favorite was "Reach for the Sky, the story of Sir Douglas Bader, the legless WW11 RAF fighter pilot.
Also, in the Great Waldo Pepper, the star of the movie starts an old airplane by handpropping it backwards so that it pops forward after hitting compression and apparently that was the proper way to start that old engine. It has been so long ago that I forget what model engine/airplane it was and who the movie star was who played Waldo.
---------- ADS -----------
 
The average pilot, despite the somewhat swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy and caring.
These feelings just don't involve anyone else.
I_Heart_Seaplanes
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 130
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:37 pm

Re: Favorite aviation movies!

Post by I_Heart_Seaplanes »

There is some sort of Beaver/Norseman seaplane mashup in the new TinTin movie, so just another reason I've got to go see that.
---------- ADS -----------
 
If you're gonna to be dumb, you gotta be tough
robertsailor1
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 643
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:05 pm

Re: Favorite aviation movies!

Post by robertsailor1 »

Robert Redford played Waldo. Some of the best flying I've ever seen in this movie bar none.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Aerials
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:54 pm

Re: Favorite aviation movies!

Post by Aerials »

I'm looking for the name of a movie I saw on TV years ago, I would say it was from the late 90's, involved a guy and girl flying a red beauty of a Pilatus PC-7 or -9 and showed them flying over all the most scenic spots in western Europe on the sunniest days of the year.
Any clues?
---------- ADS -----------
 
Post Reply

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”