Transport Canada becoming more difficult to deal with

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Post Reply
AME 283
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 91
Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:30 am

Transport Canada becoming more difficult to deal with

Post by AME 283 »

:smt014 Is Transport Canada becoming more high handed and anal or is it just my imagination in my old age. I thought SMS was supose to give us more flexibility vs less ?? :rolleyes:
---------- ADS -----------
 
conehead
Rank 6
Rank 6
Posts: 426
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2004 9:32 pm

Re: Transport Canada becoming more difficult to deal with

Post by conehead »

Specifics?
---------- ADS -----------
 
SeptRepair
Rank 8
Rank 8
Posts: 889
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:41 pm
Location: Wet Coast.

Re: Transport Canada becoming more difficult to deal with

Post by SeptRepair »

I dunno, I have a great relationship with transport in the pacific region and they have been extremely helpful whenever I have a question or problem.
---------- ADS -----------
 
How can you tell which one is the pilot when you walk into a bar?....Don't worry he will come up and tell you.
ruddersup?
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 312
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:10 pm

Re: Transport Canada becoming more difficult to deal with

Post by ruddersup? »

I find there is an arrogance in an Ontario office. Sure don't get the feeling they are there to help me, in fact seems like they are there to offer resistance. Never helpful in finding a solution to a problem. Is this what you were suggesting?
---------- ADS -----------
 
AME 283
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 91
Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:30 am

Re: Transport Canada becoming more difficult to deal with

Post by AME 283 »

That is exactly what I am seeing, mandating rectifications to problems that do not exist, mandating items that are not in regulation, and dictating not discussing
---------- ADS -----------
 
iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 8132
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:25 pm
Location: Winterfell...

Re: Transport Canada becoming more difficult to deal with

Post by iflyforpie »

Again, here in the Pacific Region as far as maintenance we don't seem to have a problem.

But if they ever start shoving SMS down our throats..... Gee, I'm the only mech here, so am I supposed to write a letter to myself about the unsafe condition I saw and how to correct it? :roll:
---------- ADS -----------
 
Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1976
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:14 pm

Re: Transport Canada becoming more difficult to deal with

Post by Heliian »

SMS is turning out to be mostly a fail and now I think that TC is going back to the good ole days of auditing the shit out of people. It's their job to be anal and they are a regulatory government agency. I don't see them as the enemy, but I can't say that I am friends with them either.
---------- ADS -----------
 
CID
Rank 11
Rank 11
Posts: 3544
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2005 6:43 am
Location: Canada

Re: Transport Canada becoming more difficult to deal with

Post by CID »

SMS isn't a fail. It's been the norm for 705 operators for a long time now. As far as TC being difficult to deal with, I find that the attitude of operators these days doesn't help.

People seem to be confused about interpreting the CARs and instead of asking for help from training facilities or from their TC representative, they would much rather sit and stew in ignorance.

If you treat TC as a partner in your operation rather than an adversary, things go much smoother. I'm certainly not suggesting there will never be wrinkles in such a relationship but its definitely more productive in the long run.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 5959
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2004 7:17 pm
Location: West Coast

Re: Transport Canada becoming more difficult to deal with

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

iflyforpie wrote:Again, here in the Pacific Region as far as maintenance we don't seem to have a problem.

But if they ever start shoving SMS down our throats..... Gee, I'm the only mech here, so am I supposed to write a letter to myself about the unsafe condition I saw and how to correct it? :roll:
My recommendation for your first SMS report.

Observation: I have been spending too much time on Avcanada instead of using the time to review CAR,s

Safety Implications: I will be exposed to a range of opinions, some of which may expose to ideas which would engender dangerous amounts of critical thinking

Corrective Action (short term): change my user name

Corrective Action (long term): change my user name again
---------- ADS -----------
 
iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 8132
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:25 pm
Location: Winterfell...

Re: Transport Canada becoming more difficult to deal with

Post by iflyforpie »

Big Pistons Forever wrote:
iflyforpie wrote:Again, here in the Pacific Region as far as maintenance we don't seem to have a problem.

But if they ever start shoving SMS down our throats..... Gee, I'm the only mech here, so am I supposed to write a letter to myself about the unsafe condition I saw and how to correct it? :roll:
My recommendation for your first SMS report.

Observation: I have been spending too much time on Avcanada instead of using the time to review CAR,s

Safety Implications: I will be exposed to a range of opinions, some of which may expose to ideas which would engender dangerous amounts of critical thinking

Corrective Action (short term): change my user name

Corrective Action (long term): change my user name again
Actually, I think this site forces me to reference the CARs more often than I would normally...
---------- ADS -----------
 
Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10
Posts: 2972
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2005 7:17 pm
Location: west to east and west again

Re: Transport Canada becoming more difficult to deal with

Post by rigpiggy »

CID wrote:SMS isn't a fail.

People seem to be confused about interpreting the CARs and instead of asking for help from training facilities or from their TC representative, they would much rather sit and stew in ignorance.
Yes it is, as far as dealing with TC, when I have asked for clarification on various issues FDTL for example they will simply quote me the relevant CAR's. A lot of these are poorly worded, and confusing to begin with. Nobody in TC will ever give you a real answer, as that would put there neck on the line.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Post Reply

Return to “Maintenance”