AirSprint Fleet Transition

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

ettw
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: AirSprint Fleet Transition

Post by ettw »

Jack Klumpus wrote:Thank you for confirming what I've heard about your company. I respect the fact that you did not lie about it when I brought it up, however, I have no respect for anyone that asks his/her corporate pilots, to clean the airplanes.
I might disagree with your last comment. I might suggest its more about pride in your equipment and customer satisfaction which benefits all.

ETTW
---------- ADS -----------

ettw
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ettw »

ehbuddy wrote:I had applied to them years back with around 14 thousand hours and they were more interested in what kind of University Degree I had rather than my aviation background. Ended up at another company that treated me very well.
I hope that is still not true. I find this job intriguing.

ETTW

AirSprint HR
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by AirSprint HR »

ettw wrote:
ehbuddy wrote:I had applied to them years back with around 14 thousand hours and they were more interested in what kind of University Degree I had rather than my aviation background. Ended up at another company that treated me very well.
I hope that is still not true. I find this job intriguing.

ETTW
There is no requirement to have a degree or diploma for our pilot positions. If an applicant has a degree or diploma, it is looked upon favorably.

Regards,

AirSprint HR

Diadem
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Diadem »

I fly an aircraft comparable to, but slightly larger than, a PC-12, and I wash it top to bottom once a week. I don't have any problem doing it, and I certainly don't think pilots are above that type of work. I think the attitude that pilots should be above getting our hands dirty and that we should look down our noses at the rampies who do the manual labour to be rather snobbish. As for a certain company in YYC which makes its pilots wash the customers' cars, that's another issue...

Krimson
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Krimson »

Even the guys down at Porter groom their aircraft. The captains will come out an pick up garbage from their passengers.

Nothing wrong with cleaning up after yourself. Of course I would prefer to just walk away as well and come back to a well groomed and cleaned aircraft, but I have no problem with cleaning up the plane, part of the duty. I think it is pretty reasonable that if you have a show time approaching within the next 12 hours, you get off the hook a bit too.

Now washing customers cars...that is a problem (and frankly disgusting for the operator to even suggest it)

X-Savior
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by X-Savior »

:D

Last edited by X-Savior on Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Changes in Latitudes
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Changes in Latitudes »

Jack Klumpus wrote:Thank you for confirming what I've heard about your company. I respect the fact that you did not lie about it when I brought it up, however, I have no respect for anyone that asks his/her corporate pilots, to clean the airplanes.

Jack give your head a shake. Or actually, go wander around some of the lovely charter operators at your nearest large airport. I've been through many, and the things these companies ask their crews to put up with go well beyond a little light clean-up. I have many friends at Air Sprint that are quite happy there and don't seem to mind tidying up the aircraft after they have flown it.

Air Sprint offers a far better lifestyle than many operations out there right now. You dismiss a position like this over emptying the garbage, a quick vacuum, and crossing the seatbelts at the end of the day? You're out of touch with this industry if you think that is what constitutes poor treatment.

Sulako
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by Sulako »

I take pride in the planes I fly, and I'm happy to help keep them clean. I don't scrub the belly, but I certainly don't begrudge restocking snacks, taking out the garbage and maybe even wiping off the occasional oil streak from the engine cowl. They don't take much time or effort, and it makes the plane look nice.

aerosexual
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by aerosexual »

At my last corporate gig, when I went in to do elementary maintenance training, there was an airplane doing a C-Check. The maintenance boss had me scrub down the inside of the toilet and lav since I was already there. This was before things started picking up again and I had been looking for a flying job for a long time, so I wasn't in a position to say much. That in my opinion is taking things too far - but what AS is asking is very much normal and in my opinion acceptable for a corporate gig. It can be a pain vacuuming the interior after transporting dogs around though lol.

MikeLima
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by MikeLima »

AirSprint HR

Please check your PM.
Thanks

MikeLima

Jack Klumpus
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Jack Klumpus »

There lies the problem with our industry. It's the pilots themselves. One has to differentiate jobs, even as pilots. Flying the bush, single pilot IFR in a in the 31-350, sure I cleaned, groomed, re-stocked, fuel, de-iced, etc. years later, left seat at a 705, I didn't expect to have to groom.

One needs to respect the job and their profession. When the environment and nature of the job required it, heck yeah I did it, because I believed in why it had to be done. However, flying for a multi-million company, into cities, and being in charge of shiny new jets, I don't agree with it.

Each and every ones of us has different standards and beliefs. I've worked different aspects in my aviation career, and I dont look down at any position, since each one has an integral part to play.

If some feel pride and joy after a 14 hr duty day to clean the airplane, because the company does not want to hire or contract for the grooming position, then that is your problem, or in your case(s), more of a 'pride' and fulfilling part of your job.

My pride derives in everything I do related to my job.

Jack Klumpus
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Jack Klumpus »

aerosexual wrote: but what AS is asking is very much normal and in my opinion acceptable for a corporate .
Who cleans the hangar for AS?

Big Bird
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Big Bird »

Jack Klumpus wrote:
aerosexual wrote: but what AS is asking is very much normal and in my opinion acceptable for a corporate .
Who cleans the hangar for AS?
The Job is contracted out.

The whole cleaning airplanes “in house " keeps operating costs lower which gives company more cash flow. It wasn’t too long ago when AirSprint introduced a new pay scale. This improvement involved many Pilots receiving a 20-25k raise overnight. At the end of the day I’m just a Pilot and not a Prince. I have never been too good to wipe an airplane down.(Truthfully I’d get a backhand from my parents with that kind of attitude..... hahahah) On that note I was surprised to hear my dentist say the other day he takes part in cleaning duties along with his staff before he leaves the office. I found that classy. The same goes for management. If I fly with the Chief Pilot, VP or Base Manager, they all participate in cleaning.

The above message is not geared towards anyone specifically. It’s just a general comment so please no attacking. Lets keep it simple. Hope everyone is enjoying the summer.

AirSprint HR
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by AirSprint HR »

To answer a few questions that have come up:

- Over the next few weeks we will be putting a plan together to determine how every one of our pilots will be positioned through the fleet transition. With that will come an initial estimate about how many external positions will be required. This plan will be continuously evaluated and amended over the next two years. We will likely start contacting people over the next few weeks, but this will be a continuing process over the next two years so if you do not get contacted for an interview right away, please keep your resume up to date with us if you are interested. I will do my best to provide regular updates to this thread when we are focusing on a specific need (position/base etc).

- Our hangar is cleaned by a professional cleaning company and has been for as long as I can remember.

- Employing full-time aircraft groomers is an option that is considered about once a year. At every evaluation, the decision is made to continue with the present setup as my preference is to improve the salaries/benefits of our current employees instead of adding full-time groomers. Since the start of the downturn in 2008, our Pilots and AMEs have received significant salary increases, as well as increases to per-diems and benefits. These improvements would have been reduced had full-time groomers been hired.

Regards,

AirSprint HR

X-Savior
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by X-Savior »

Thank you very much!

The communication has been GREATLY appreciated and look forward to the opportunity to come work for you.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

Jack Klumpus wrote:...
If some feel pride and joy after a 14 hr duty day to clean the airplane, because the company does not want to hire or contract for the grooming position, then that is your problem, or in your case(s), more of a 'pride' and fulfilling part of your job.

My pride derives in everything I do related to my job.
You lost me there. 14 hour duty days are supposed to be extendable to 15 under "unforseen operational circumstances". A dirty airplane is NOT an unforseen operational circumstance.

But hey if I get into the hangar after all my paperwork is done and have time inside my duty day, or need to come in on a non flying day to clean my airplane, I'm right with you bucket and scrub brush in hand and a smile on my face. After 14, I'm going home. See you tomorrow. :)

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Interested applicants should send their resume and cover letter to careers@airsprint.com.

Thank you.

James Elian
VP, Operations
AirSprint Inc.
Hi James!

After reading this thread just thought I would like to comment on your offer of employment and your terms.

If I ever decided to un-retire and wanted a flying job I would work for you in a heart beat. :mrgreen:

. E.

Krimson
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Krimson »

To the guys arguing about cleaning the plane, there is so much more wrong with aviation as it is, instead of arguing over something so insignificant as this, how about trying to fix the large problems with many of the of the other operators out there. To be complaining about having to clean up after yourself, you should take a look over the other side of the fence and count your blessings.

Good on them for having the pride to come on here and correct false statements. You don't see a lot of operators having an open two-way communication with their pilots.

X-Savior
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by X-Savior »

Krimson wrote:Good on them for having the pride to come on here and correct false statements. You don't see a lot of operators having an open two-way communication with their pilots.
:D

Last edited by X-Savior on Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AirSprint HR
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by AirSprint HR »

Cat Driver wrote:
Interested applicants should send their resume and cover letter to careers@airsprint.com.

Thank you.

James Elian
VP, Operations
AirSprint Inc.
Hi James!

After reading this thread just thought I would like to comment on your offer of employment and your terms.

If I ever decided to un-retire and wanted a flying job I would work for you in a heart beat. :mrgreen:

. E.
Thank you .. I'm happy to hear that.

Regards,

James

Return to “Employment Forum”