What does it take?

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

User avatar
Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 6618
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:53 am
Location: A couple of meters away from others.

Post by Beefitarian »

Stay calm bluenote. It's the internet, everyone's kind of mean. I think you did pretty good here considering. Take that as a good sign. Maybe people think you are potentially ok.
---------- ADS -----------
 
bverwegen
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 85
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:49 pm
Location: Air 5001

Re: What does it take?

Post by bverwegen »

Do most FTU's tend to only (most of the time) hire their own, as in pilots who trained with them / got their instructor rating with them?
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
Shiny Side Up
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 5335
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2004 5:02 pm
Location: Group W bench

Re: What does it take?

Post by Shiny Side Up »

If they can they do. Not always possible given the rate of influx of new instructor students and experienced instructors moving on. Nature of hiring people, easier to train them to work if they already know what goes on there.
---------- ADS -----------
 
shamrock104
Rank 8
Rank 8
Posts: 836
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:16 pm

Re: What does it take?

Post by shamrock104 »

It would appear that Bluenote cannot accept criticism, maybe thats a part of the problem here.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Aviatard
Rank 8
Rank 8
Posts: 967
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:45 am
Location: In a box behind Walmart

Re: What does it take?

Post by Aviatard »

bluenote wrote:
Enough, Enough! OK I get it, not good enough, according to the people that obviously have been around the bush alot longer than me.
Maybe you should read it again. I didn't say you weren't good enough. I said you might have a presentation problem. You might be the world's best class 4 instructor but if you don't come across that way, no one will ever know. That was my point.

What do YOU think the problem is?
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
bluenote
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 355
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:04 am
Location: yyhell

Re: What does it take?

Post by bluenote »

Ok,ok, I AM the problem. I accept the criticism. Thank you for the comments, accepted.
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
Colonel Sanders
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 7512
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:17 pm
Location: Over Macho Grande

Re: What does it take?

Post by Colonel Sanders »

I AM the problem
Ok, but I think you need to focus a bit. Specifically
what do you need to work on? Which single thing,
if you fixed it, would give you the most improvement?

Previously I took a shot in the dark and suspected
it might be your sales skills. Given that we have never
met, that observation is worth precisely what you
paid for it!

What do you think you need to work on?
---------- ADS -----------
 
jump154
Rank 6
Rank 6
Posts: 421
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:50 pm

Re: What does it take?

Post by jump154 »

bluenote wrote:Ok,ok, I AM the problem. I accept the criticism. Thank you for the comments, accepted.
OK, delete that post as the Colonel just said it far better than I could. You have a huge opportunity here - if YOU are the problem then YOU are more than able of fixing the problem. You can always get better - take a long hard look at yourself, ask some others who know you for constructive criticism, and take it in the spirit it is given (hard as that may be). Maybe ask some of the guys at Spectrum, who saw you at work for some tips? Get some education, take a night school course in which ever area you identify to improve. Your decision.
---------- ADS -----------
 
shamrock104
Rank 8
Rank 8
Posts: 836
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:16 pm

Re: What does it take?

Post by shamrock104 »

Good, now that we havd identified the problem maybe we can move forward from there and try and "fix the problem". Well done Bluenote on owning up to this, thats got to be a positive.
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
bluenote
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 355
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:04 am
Location: yyhell

Re: What does it take?

Post by bluenote »

shamrock104 wrote:Good, now that we havd identified the problem maybe we can move forward from there and try and "fix the problem". Well done Bluenote on owning up to this, thats got to be a positive.
"got to be a POSITIVE"?
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
Colonel Sanders
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 7512
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:17 pm
Location: Over Macho Grande

Re: What does it take?

Post by Colonel Sanders »

It's hard to fix a problem until you recognize that you have one.

Recognition of a problem is progress - and a positive.
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
Shiny Side Up
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 5335
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2004 5:02 pm
Location: Group W bench

Re: What does it take?

Post by Shiny Side Up »

Sure. There are hordes of instructors who don't get employed by schools. Most of them labour away at that endeavor never figuring out why they can't get that job. Few take a step back and have the clarity to realise they need to change something about their game. Most don't get some good solid advice like you've gotten here from some experienced people.

One thing to remember is that there may indeed be nothing wrong with you, it might be them. Again there are a lot of people I don't hire, sometimes because I just don't like them. First impressions are hard to shake. So as someone said already, its possible that unless there's a change in the school's staff you've been visiting regularly, you're unlikely to get hired there unless they were really desparate. It still means you need to change up your game.
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
bluenote
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 355
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:04 am
Location: yyhell

Re: What does it take?

Post by bluenote »

I am far from perfect and believe me fellow aviators I truly respect all of your comments and read them with an open mind but when I see out there the majority of the flight instructors don't see what they do as important and couldn't care less about students and school just their TT, that bugs me because want to inspire and motivate and be that permanent instructor. One school in particular the cfi knows me by my first name and he tells me half of his file of resumes are mine. I always walk in with a smile , taken tour advice and still kicking the can.
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
Shiny Side Up
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 5335
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2004 5:02 pm
Location: Group W bench

Re: What does it take?

Post by Shiny Side Up »

One school in particular the cfi knows me by my first name and he tells me half of his file of resumes are mine. I always walk in with a smile , taken tour advice and still kicking the can.
Like I said, its possible he just doesn't like you. Maybe you have red hair and he was beaten up regularly by a bully who had red hair. Maybe you're tall and he's intimidated by tall people. Who knows? If barking up that tree ain't working, then bark up another tree. Personally I see some negativity that leaks through, and no ammount of smiling or first names and resumes will change that. No one can fake a smile.

but when I see...
No buts. Let go of the reasons that you percieve are affecting your sucess. The Colonel is right, you need to work on your sales pitch. I hate to say it but these other guys have a better one, even if they are a bad bunch. The biggest scoundrels I know that instruct can sell themselves really well.
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
bluenote
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 355
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:04 am
Location: yyhell

Re: What does it take?

Post by bluenote »

Shiny Side Up wrote:
One school in particular the cfi knows me by my first name and he tells me half of his file of resumes are mine. I always walk in with a smile , taken tour advice and still kicking the can.
Like I said, its possible he just doesn't like you. Maybe you have red hair and he was beaten up regularly by a bully who had red hair. Maybe you're tall and he's intimidated by tall people. Who knows? If barking up that tree ain't working, then bark up another tree. Personally I see some negativity that leaks through, and no ammount of smiling or first names and resumes will change that. No one can fake a smile.

but when I see...
No buts. Let go of the reasons that you percieve are affecting your sucess. The Colonel is right, you need to work on your sales pitch. I hate to say it but these other guys have a better one, even if they are a bad bunch. The biggest scoundrels I know that instruct can sell themselves really well.
So as long as you sell yourself like a great instructor but in reality you are a shitty , no good educator in reality that makes it a go! Instead of having a co-op style program to prove yourself lets hire the first guythrough the door, that doesn't seem proper in my words but who am I?

Again , obviously there is something missing in my punch line, maybe I'll bring a case of wine next time.
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
Shiny Side Up
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 5335
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2004 5:02 pm
Location: Group W bench

Re: What does it take?

Post by Shiny Side Up »

So as long as you sell yourself like a great instructor but in reality you are a shitty , no good educator in reality that makes it a go! Instead of having a co-op style program to prove yourself lets hire the first guythrough the door, that doesn't seem proper in my words but who am I?
You're missing the point. If you have two people of equal worth, the one who sells himself the best is going to be the one who makes the sale. There's being a good instructor and being a sucessful instructor, the two aren't mutually exclusive. The most successful instructors can both fly well and sell well. Instructing by its nature is a game of salesmanship. You could be the greatest pilot in the world, but if you can't sell what you do, you're not going to succeed as an instructor.

The Colonel has given you a valuable insight here:
Colonel Sanders wrote:Ok, but I think you need to focus a bit. Specifically
what do you need to work on? Which single thing,
if you fixed it, would give you the most improvement?
You still haven't given an answer to yet. No buts, don't tell us what you think everyone else is doing. What's the thing you can improve?
---------- ADS -----------
 
jump154
Rank 6
Rank 6
Posts: 421
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:50 pm

Re: What does it take?

Post by jump154 »

Sit back and think -- write down all the things that you think affect you getting your Instructor job.
Then split that list into 2 parts -- those you have control over and those you don't have control over.

Ignore those factors you have no control over - they will still be there regardless of what you do.

Focus on those you have control over, and do what you can to improve those.

To me, the focus of your posts had been more on the 'unfairness' and 'chance' aspects, which all fall firmly in the no control list. Don't stress over these, stress will only make you feel bad and loose focus on what you can control. Direct your energy to something you can really improve.
---------- ADS -----------
 
North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator
Posts: 5627
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 3:47 pm
Location: Straight outta Dundarave...

Re: What does it take?

Post by North Shore »

How about moving to greener pastures...http://www.avcanada.ca/forums2/viewtopi ... =7&t=87197
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
bluenote
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 355
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:04 am
Location: yyhell

Re: What does it take?

Post by bluenote »

North Shore wrote:How about moving to greener pastures...http://www.avcanada.ca/forums2/viewtopi ... =7&t=87197
North Shore, again thank you for the quote and your suggestions.

It has been a really frustrating ride for me lately as I do have an obstacle that I really have to work on seeing whether I can make this work for me on achieving a path on being an instructor. I have a home and a wife and two little kids at home this is the reason for trying Southern Ontario.

I have previously inquired at other schools across the country to get a feel on employment and got some positive remarks on my non-flying experience that would be a benefit, but from the comments about Ontario and their over abundance of instructors and the schools cranking out new ones I just might have to abandon my goal or dream or my choice of a career as a flight instructor as I close my other career soon.

Too frustrated but still banging the head on trying to make it work, the only choice is somewhere like you sent me in Alberta.

I can tell you if I had another kick at the can at Spectrum Airways I would do it differently.

I truly appreciate all the comments.


bluenote.
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
Rookie50
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1819
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:00 am
Location: Clear of the Active.

Re: What does it take?

Post by Rookie50 »

bluenote wrote:
North Shore wrote:How about moving to greener pastures...http://www.avcanada.ca/forums2/viewtopi ... =7&t=87197
North Shore, again thank you for the quote and your suggestions.

It has been a really frustrating ride for me lately as I do have an obstacle that I really have to work on seeing whether I can make this work for me on achieving a path on being an instructor. I have a home and a wife and two little kids at home this is the reason for trying Southern Ontario.

I have previously inquired at other schools across the country to get a feel on employment and got some positive remarks on my non-flying experience that would be a benefit, but from the comments about Ontario and their over abundance of instructors and the schools cranking out new ones I just might have to abandon my goal or dream or my choice of a career as a flight instructor as I close my other career soon.

Too frustrated but still banging the head on trying to make it work, the only choice is somewhere like you sent me in Alberta.

I can tell you if I had another kick at the can at Spectrum Airways I would do it differently.

I truly appreciate all the comments.


bluenote.
Blue note, I came across this awhile back. The one thing I would add, is perhaps to have an honest sit down chat with spectrum. Perhaps you can get some colour on where the arrangement broke down. I don't know, having never instructed. But a good debrief might assist you, in matching your expectations with an FTU's.

I do like the suggestion, of recruiting your own clients, and parlaying them into a job offer with a school. That is an entrepreneurial approach.

Best wishes.
---------- ADS -----------
 
JungianJugular
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 237
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:09 am

Re: What does it take?

Post by JungianJugular »

Hey BN,

Can you elaborate a bit more on your experiences in finding work as a PT FI?

What challenges are you currently facing? I think I read somewhere you were working at Spectrum on a PT basis - why didn't that work out for you?
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
mike123
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 174
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:54 am

Re: What does it take?

Post by mike123 »

Unless you can bring your own students who will remain loyal to you, or possess some rare skills that make you stand out from the crowd, nobody really needs a part-time instructor when there is a huge supply of full-time instructors.
If you are working part-time the students will get upset that their instructor is 'never available' (i.e. not available when they want) and will either switch instructors or schools, or even give up flying.
Not trying to discourage you, but if I were a CFI I would be very reluctant to assign students to a part-time instructor.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Post Reply

Return to “Flight Training”