C-GKBO Twin Otter 300 msn 725 reported as striking a rock during landing on skies, collapsing
the nose gear and substantially damaging the aircraft - within Greenland - May 5 2013.
No injuries reported to the two crew on board (unconfirmed).
Like MFA says. In the Twin Otter world we hear of these things 4 or 6 times a year and as stated its part of the biz with these workhorses. You hear of one and post it on a forum and you're a h-r-?
Gee, everyone should calm down. The guy posted the bare facts about an incident in the incident forum. Just because KBA prangs a twin with regularity, as you suggest, doesn't mean he's in the wrong. Maybe it could stimulate some useful discussion on the unique hazards and special considerations regarding ski flying.
This is specialized work. Higher risk. And accidents happen. No one feels good about it, and the simple minded posting , complete with picture stimulates nothing but ill will towards your fellow pilots.
What would you suggest can be learned by the OP...complete with pix( did I mention that already?)
Is this the way to stimulate discussion about a very specialized type of flying? The unique hazards, are, well...unique. And you dont need to trot out an accident to discuss ski flying. Help me out here Shimmy. Why do you need to post about an accident to learn about off strip ski flying?
Lets label this for what it is....gossip. And as others have posted, move on
I do this work with this company and I often say that ski flying I love the most. It's better than some sex I've had....not great sex but sex nonetheless. That being said its also the flying I approach with the most trepidation. You only know about 90% of what you need to know until you come to a stop. If you haven't broken anything and you're not sinking, guess it was a good place to land.
Btw, my info says this incident definitely falls into the sh*t happens.
Wow trey, guess you've been eating from the communal bowl of pissed-in corn flakes too?
An incident posted in the incident forum and everyone's got their back up
Your probably right about the corn flakes, I thought the beer I was putting on them tasted a bit off.
Shows what can happen when you use an opened bottle left over from the night before...I probably should write that up for our SMS folks to deal with.
shimmydampner wrote:Wow trey, guess you've been eating from the communal bowl of pissed-in corn flakes too?
An incident posted in the incident forum and everyone's got their back up
Forgive Trey..his employer recently decided that the record profits generated shouldn't be shared with the rank and file, pissing most of them off highly for a 2nd year in a row.
tbaylx wrote:Forgive Trey..his employer recently decided that the record profits generated shouldn't be shared with the rank and file, pissing most of them off highly for a 2nd year in a row.
Dont confuse him with facts, Beef. He does not need them to come to a conclusion and share it with the world.
Some of us don't need to have a vested interest in a company or accident to have a sense of what is right and proper, and the impact that these thoughtless threads have on the people involved....even if you add the word "respect" to your speculation, and claim it is all about"learning"