maintenance positions out west

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Post Reply
really green
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 27
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2005 9:38 pm

maintenance positions out west

Post by really green »

Hey guys,

Been quite a while since i posted on here. But I'm looking for some advice. I'm looking to relocate out west from the Maritimes. The work situation is bleak to say the least out here. I've been unemployed for the last 3 months, so I need a change. I have a possible lead for work in Edmonton, but if anyone has any advice as to who is hiring at the moment, it would be greatly appreciated. I don't have my license yet, but my logbook is filled, and my time is in, I just have to write the tech exams to be eligible for my M1. I have a wide range of experience ranging from Cherokee 6 up to 737-300/500. Spent 3 years at PEAir on Navajo's, so I have a pretty intimate knowledge of them. I would prefer Calgary, but I'm pretty much willing to go anywhere.
Thanks again for any help.

Cheers
Greg Hatt
PS, if needed my email is greghatt (at) hotmail dot com
---------- ADS -----------
 
GyvAir
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1817
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:09 pm

Re: maintenance positions out west

Post by GyvAir »

Check your PM..
---------- ADS -----------
 
conehead
Rank 6
Rank 6
Posts: 426
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2004 9:32 pm

Re: maintenance positions out west

Post by conehead »

Since you meet the qualifiers, why don't you write the exams?
---------- ADS -----------
 
really green
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 27
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2005 9:38 pm

Re: maintenance positions out west

Post by really green »

I'm working on that now.
---------- ADS -----------
 
chowda
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 340
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2004 10:15 pm

Re: maintenance positions out west

Post by chowda »

Were you in yellowknife before pe air?

Nothing negative, but your name sounds familiar.
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
single_swine_herder
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 627
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:35 pm

Re: maintenance positions out west

Post by single_swine_herder »

Greg .... to each his own for his own reasons, but I moved out west a long time ago and except for being away from my relatives and high school buddies, have never regretted it on a professional basis. I keep in touch with lots of folks in other sections of the country and have come to the conclusion the expression "The west is best" has a lot of validity to it.

Saskatchewan is now experiencing the economic growth which was the Alberta of 30 years ago, so come on out and stake your claim in today's equivalent of the gold rush. Other than getting homesick for a good fresh Lobster feed and some Moosehead or Olands, you'll do well here.

There's lots of "down homers" out here making a go of it, so it may be your time to head on down the road me son.
---------- ADS -----------
 
really green
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 27
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2005 9:38 pm

Re: maintenance positions out west

Post by really green »

Chowda, I was indeed in yk before peair.

Ssh, that seems to be a common trend. Having been in halifax for all my life, save for the 1.5 years in yk, I've had many many friends leave west to never return. I guess its a simple fact for the trades that aren't quite as common place. And if its one thing ill miss its gonna be my olands!

Cheers all
---------- ADS -----------
 
chowda
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 340
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2004 10:15 pm

Re: maintenance positions out west

Post by chowda »

I would pursue the Saskabush advice. BC is mostly dead for work, with the odd in a panic ad popping up because someone quit. Not quite sure about alberta, but all i really ever hear about work is oil and gas.


just noticed cma threw up another ad. the highlighted bit should be noted. that place always seems to need guys. from personal experience i would not suggest moving out for them. you'll be broke in no time.
---------- ADS -----------
 
acidgambit
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 148
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:50 pm

Re: maintenance positions out west

Post by acidgambit »

Alberta and Saskatchewan is where the work is at.
I never seem to have issues finding work in these 2 provinces.
If you're interested in Saskatchewan, check out Westwind Aviation in Saskatoon. They always seem to need people. And if you have experience on the King Airs, 1900C/D, and have a great attitude, they'll definitely take you.

As for Alberta, check out North Cariboo, Sunwest, Central Mountain Air. I remember not long ago Sunwest and North Cariboo were just looking for maintenance people. Also Westjet Encore was just looking for people in Edmonton.

And if you're into bigger jets....Canadian North airline is expanding a bit. They'll be looking for people too in the near future i believe. They had their AME postings up for Edmonton and Yellowknife not long ago.

BC is mostly dead. I am from there and left BC a while ago. Never regretted it though. I bet if i was still in BC, i would have gave up already and got into power engineering or heavy duty mechanics. (Maybe i should have done that. But that's another story. hehe)
---------- ADS -----------
 
bombardierfixer
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 564
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:26 am
Location: YYC

Re: maintenance positions out west

Post by bombardierfixer »

WestJet and Encore are looking for apprentices and engineers in YYC. Check out the websites. We need some good guys.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Post Reply

Return to “Maintenance”