windshield cleaning stuff

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

frozen solid
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: windshield cleaning stuff

Post by frozen solid »

Soap leaves a sticky film that won't rinse away. But Zest rinses away clean, every time. And, it's 1/4 moisturizing cream. Wait, that's Dove. Don't use that. *burp*
---------- ADS -----------

howard40
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by howard40 »

If the windshield is dirty I use lots of running or poured water and bare hand. never a towel for cleaning!!! paper towels save for the dipstick. Once you have the windshield clean wth running water,(dishsoap if reqd) pledge it while still wet and clean soft terry towel, never paper towel!!... windshield is like new. installed in 1990

Adam Oke
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Adam Oke »

As a spray pilot, I do see a lot of bugs in my day and I wash my windscreen every 20mins or so. I used to use pledge but that does not seem to do the trick nearly as well as this new chemical I started using.

I use a colourless and odorless compound called Dihydrogen Monoxide (DHMO). The atomic components of DHMO are found in a number of caustic, explosive and poisonous compounds such as Sulfuric Acid, Nitroglycerine and Ethyl Alcohol. It's potent stuff, but I don't like to mess around wasting time cleaning my windscreen. I simply use paper towel (Bounty), and a significant amount of DHMO (gloves not required). You do have to be careful as DHMO will turn your hand pruney with prolonged exposure. Reportedly, there have been deaths caused by inhalation of Dihydrogen Monoxide. Fear not, this chemical will not damage your windscreen ... but let me tell you, do not get it anywhere near your fuel caps!

You can further read about DHMO here.

fanspeed
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by fanspeed »

Use some Hydrogen hydroxide and yer bare hand you sallies!

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

Dihydrogen Monoxide (DHMO)
If swallowed, do not induce vomiting... urinate instead! :lol:

I still wish I had the MSDS we made up for it because of the health and safety nuts at Kelowna Flightcraft.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

iflyforpie wrote: I still wish I had the MSDS we made up for it because of the health and safety nuts at Kelowna Flightcraft.
There is one on the page.

http://www.dhmo.org/msdsdhmo.html

5x5
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 5x5 »

beaverbob wrote:Pledge works for a time but is a wax and not a polish. After a few washings the pledge has to be washed off with soap and water.
Not sure what you've experienced Bob, but we use Lemon Pledge numerous times a day all summer long and have never had any buildup and never need to wash with soap and water. And we've done it for years and it works wonderfully. Odd that you'd have such a different result.

crazy_aviator
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by crazy_aviator »

You don't need any fancy chemicals for plexiglas or
lexan. Everyone will tell you that you need exotic
stuff that can only be ordered from Luxembourg,
which is distilled from the milk from only the rear
teat of a particular herd of goats on the shady side
of exactly one mountain
Thanks Colonel :D

Taiser
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Taiser »

I've used the Rain-X, must say never tried pledge. The Rain-X stuff is NICE, water beads right off and blows away with no film, kinda like a wax job on your car, really helps visibility and makes it easier to clean as well! Not really a cleaner per say but helps cleaning in the long run and it's not cheap stuff either though...

Navajo Flyer
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Navajo Flyer »

I have to agree with RainX, works great. After you have a clean and dry windscreen apply the RainX, then all you need is a squirt bottle with a couple drops of dish soap and water. Spray it on and the bugs wipe right off with a soft cloth.

Reminds me of that snag list…."dead bugs on windshield - live ones on order"…. :lol:

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”