Avcanada Posting Etiquette and Consequences

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

carbeerater
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Avcanada Posting Etiquette and Consequences

Post by carbeerater »

As mentioned in my "first" post I recently read all 110 threads/topics of the flight training forum. My overall impression of the forum is that most of the people posting have something legimate to offer. Then there's the occasional spat between posters. Sometimes it degenerated into an all out pissing match, Sometimes cooler heads prevailed.

I just hope nobody gets banned for typing something insulting in the heat of a disagreement or for some sort of regular, if not polite banter.

I have noticed that some of the "grumpy old guys" are more involved in the aforementioned pissing matches.

I sincerely respect those who have passed before me and wish to contribute to the betterment of the industry as a whole. I also understand that an anonymous forum is one of the worst forms of human communication and often opinions and tone are mis-interpreted.

To the mods:
Please think twice before removing anyone who doesn't type politely all the time... sleep on it or at least have a vote amongst yourselves before unilaterally removing a lifetime of experience from this crazy info-puddle.
---------- ADS -----------

carbeerater
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by carbeerater »

Big Pistons Forever wrote:I think the C 172 W & B thread is a perfect example of Avcanada at its best. A guy asks a question and a bunch of guys, give detailed, helpfull posts that not only answers the direct question but explains the principals as well, and with no sarcasm, put downs of preening.

I sure hope this is a sign of things to come

As the op of that thread and a very new member I can only agree with you BPF!

Edited B/C my phone interface sucks sometimes.

Chaxterium
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Chaxterium »

I've always wondered this. When the mods suspend someone's account can they not simply create a new account with a new username or is there more to it than that? Is it the IP address that gets blocked or just the person's account?

Cheers,
Chax

snoopy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by snoopy »

I hope this is for real and will be enforced! It would be amazing to read through the latest news, gossip and discussion without having to put up with bullying, thread hi-jacking and monopoly from a select few posters. And to not feel embarrassed to be a pilot when I read what gets posted here!

After over 20 years I still love the aviation business for all it's flaws and I'd love to be able to share some of the wisdom of lessons learned as well as learn from others both junior and senior.

Best Regards,
Kirsten B.

KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by KAG »

A much needed change.

KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by KAG »

A much needed change.

DaveP
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by DaveP »

Good stuff guys!

It's one of the reasons I stopped posting too.

Dave

cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cncpc »

Here's a post that I put up at lunch. When I got back it was gone. What are the chances it got the chop from the very mod that was mentioned...
wallflower wrote:Etiquette and Consequences should work both ways.
I think mods should be obliged to explain their actions.
I agree with that.

I think that we should not discount entirely the contributions we make here, and that other people make here. I like to know the reasoning behind why a thread was pulled or someone banned. I was banned a while back by a mod who made some outrageous statement about there being nothing wrong about a 100 hours pilot flying a high performance turbine single. Turned out he made a living getting low time pilots to buy into that very dangerous proposition. I sent an email to the owner and was back on very quickly.

When anyone is wrong, including a mod with a personal axe to grind, then we should be free to say so, strongly if necessary if the idea being advanced is dangerous and absurd. If that is not to be the case, then the value of this forum, which overall is quite high, is greatly diminished.

I do think that if there is a consensus on the forum, then a mod should get the hook, just like us peasants.

sky's the limit
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by sky's the limit »

Please read the site rules and conditions...

I realize how important everyone feels their posts and opinions are, but if ANY moderation action is taken it is described by the rules, full stop. In addition, there are untold numbers of "moderations" that happen daily, we simply do not have the time to posting explanations for each action - most days we don't even get what needs to be finished. If something really egregious has happened the Mod involved will usually post something, that is far, far, more than most sites give you.

You signed up to the site under the terms and conditions, please go and read them. None of the Mods or the site owner/administrator owe anyone any explanation other than what is covered in those conditions.

stl

cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cncpc »

sky's the limit wrote:Please read the site rules and conditions...

I realize how important everyone feels their posts and opinions are, but if ANY moderation action is taken it is described by the rules, full stop. In addition, there are untold numbers of "moderations" that happen daily, we simply do not have the time to posting explanations for each action - most days we don't even get what needs to be finished. If something really egregious has happened the Mod involved will usually post something, that is far, far, more than most sites give you.

You signed up to the site under the terms and conditions, please go and read them. None of the Mods or the site owner/administrator owe anyone any explanation other than what is covered in those conditions.

stl
Sure. No problem. Which of the rules and conditions did the post I made above yours, and which was still there the last I looked, violate? As far as I can see, there is no rule or condition saying I can't agree with another poster that expresses the view that mods should be held to the same standard as anyone else. But somebody originally whacked this post, and now it stays up, which I appreciate.

sky's the limit
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

It was off topic.

That is a thread about three people who died, and you guys turned it into another "complain about Avcanada" thread. Inappropriate to say the least.

If you read my latest post - the OP in THIS thread - you will see I addressed that explicitly. Please take time to review it.

stl

cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cncpc »

sky's the limit wrote:It was off topic.

That is a thread about three people who died, and you guys turned it into another "complain about Avcanada" thread. Inappropriate to say the least.

If you read my latest post - the OP in THIS thread - you will see I addressed that explicitly. Please take time to review it.

stl
Right enough. I accept the Off Topic reason.

It was inappropriate in hindsight.

sky's the limit
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

No worries.

Next time you have a question, please feel free to send a Mod a PM or email, much more appropriate and tactful.

Have a good night.

stl

Sulako
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by Sulako »

I'd advise all posters to read the OP in this thread. Some people are slow learners, including the three people I gave vacations to today for posting needlessly antagonistic comments. This is real.

YYZSaabGuy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by YYZSaabGuy »

KAG wrote:A much needed change.
Couldn`t agree more, and kudos to the site owner and the mods for this initiative.
I haven`t spent a lot of time on AvCanada over the past few weeks, but there`s a pretty
noticeable improvement, in my opinion, in the general tone, the level of courtesy, and even content.
Nice to see!

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

Yes, it is better, but there are still some issues. Please let's be helpful to new posters and not just accuse them of being idiots and then express surprise when they get upset.

frozen solid
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by frozen solid »

Boy is this difficult. I've been trying really hard to be a good boy, successfully I hope. The new rules are great, and I was heartened to read them, but the flip side is that it takes some real will power to just return to the index and ignore threads that contain bombastic statements, boasting, one-upmanship and obvious image-sculpting by people I know in real life and don't come off smelling as clean there as they seem to think they do here.

This takes some real effort. I wonder why it's so easy to get one's feathers ruffled, even when one is anonymous and shouldn't really take anything personally? I know a lot of pilots in real life and I don't think I know any who are as combative, narrow-minded, and easily offended as many people seem to be on AvCanada (including perhaps myself). I wonder if it's the threat of a knuckle sandwich that keeps us in line in real life, and our online personas are the "real" ones? Lord I hope not!

bandaid
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by bandaid »

This comment is directed to Frozen solid but applies to all. If you find a comment that you feel crosses over the line to the "bombastic" side of things, rather than escalate it by making an equally ridiculous post, report it and allow us to have a look.
Most of these threads are derailed when a group of people duke it out in words in a manner that adds nothing to said thread. I appreciate the emotion that often goes towards a topic where you feel you are the worlds athority but there has to be a million and one ways to make a point without childish rants.

timezonetravels
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by timezonetravels »

Reason why I never joined AvCanada till now was the seeming
constant bickering and cat-calling in some threads. As a visitor
to the site, it was amusing, at times disturbing and really didn't
portray both professional aviators and those highly skilled "leisure"
operators in the best light.

I have been on Pprune for years, but rarely contribute now thanks to
the bombastic elements on there.

Looking forward to contributing something useful here, at least once
in a while. :wink:

niss
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by niss »

I, like many have been guilty of similar posts in the past, but I do hope this helps change the climate this site has become. I truly enjoyed this forum in the past as a place to bullshit and learn.

It seamed to me that the principal notion here was that everyone, regardless of hours had something to teach and something to learn.

A very vocal few however have made it very unenjoyable in the past, and hopefully the zero tolerance policy will bring back the posters that really made this site great.

I look forward to seeing the changes.

And for gods sake can someone else please post in the photo tips and tricks thread? I feel like I'm the ass who killed it.

She’s built like a Steakhouse, but she handles like a Bistro.

Let's kick the tires, and light the fires.... SHIT! FIRE! EMERGENCY CHECKLIST!

Return to “General Comments”