Air Canada outsourcing US Regional

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Air Canada outsourcing US Regional

Post by rudder »

Rockie wrote:
rudder wrote:And all of this could come from working with a motivated, proactive and enlightened pilot work force.
A motivated, proactive and enlightened pilot workforce doesn't just happen. It has to be created and nurtured by an enlightened management that values the people working for them.

Does that sound like Air Canada?
If it doesn't start with management then it should start with the union leadership.

It is easier to blame others than to roll up your sleeves and do the work.

There are still items on the corporate wish list that were left off of the YOW arb process result. That would suggest that there is still a party interested in having a conversation (for example the 320 substitutions at Rouge).

Nobody has a greater vested interest in the solvency and viability of an airline than the employees, particularly the employees in seniority ruled positions. Just take a look at what is happening at air Transat. The corporation has a plan but the pilots seem to be bearing the brunt of implementation. Perhaps there is more that could have been done if the pilots were part if the planning process rather than just part of the audience?

I will say this again - the first major airline CEO that successfully partners with pilot labour will be able to move the company miles ahead of the competition.
---------- ADS -----------

genetic jack hammer
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by genetic jack hammer »

Rudder,
Would this be a good time for the Jazz Pilot group to stop trying to providing AC with our exceptional (take that with a grain of salt) OTP? Hasn't done us any good, although i'm sure management is loving it $$$$. It seems like as of lately, everyday there's another kick in the gonads given to us.

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

rudder wrote:If it doesn't start with management then it should start with the union leadership.
It's been tried many times. Every attempt at fostering a better relationship with this management has been exploited resulting in further steps back that are never recovered. This company takes, and takes, and takes, and never gives back. Their collusion with a federal government hostile to labour ensures we can't take anything back either.

The trust is gone. Dead. Finito. Kaput.

Mig29
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Mig29 »

One morning you wake up and think that the industry is in the recovery stages, and then the next you read the news and it's all going down hill.....

Makes me wonder why, have we (pilots) lost the touch with reality and have lost the courage, leadership, unity and comradery to just stand up and say enough is enough. Then I realize that I'm still day dreaming :rolleyes:

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

genetic jack hammer wrote:Rudder,
Would this be a good time for the Jazz Pilot group to stop trying to providing AC with our exceptional (take that with a grain of salt) OTP? Hasn't done us any good, although i'm sure management is loving it $$$$. It seems like as of lately, everyday there's another kick in the gonads given to us.
The only party that can stop the decline in Jazz block hours the near term is the CHR BOD by offering AC to reduce the margin being charged. The rest is just window dressing.

After that the parties need to have a real conversation about the future focusing in particular on fleet. CHR would be best served to focus on increasing the number of 75 seat aircraft under its control and in service. By agreeing to finance these aircraft CHR allows AC to expand its 75 seat aircraft fleet without putting any additional pressure on its own balance sheet. AC has put a bullseye on the below 75 seat fleet at Jazz and that is where most of the bloodletting is going to occur. Partly through replacement by larger guage and partly through reassignment.

Mig29
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Mig29 »

rudder wrote:The only party that can stop the decline in Jazz block hours the near term is the CHR BOD by offering AC to reduce the margin being charged. The rest is just window dressing.
Very good point.

But it's the hardest one to implement, because reducing this margin, automatically reduces company's revenue. Hence the reduction in BOD's salaries/bonuses/profit sharing etc. You and I are clearly seeing the advantage for doing this, as it secures jobs in the long run (not just for Jazz pilots, but all Jazz employees).

Problem is, these guys don't see it and/or just don't care. Correct me if I'm wrong...

47north
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by 47north »

genetic jack hammer wrote: Would this be a good time for the Jazz Pilot group to stop trying to providing AC with our exceptional (take that with a grain of salt) OTP? Hasn't done us any good, although i'm sure management is loving it $$$$. It seems like as of lately, everyday there's another kick in the gonads given to us.
The worst thing that the Jazz pilot group could do at the moment is to stop trying to maintain exceptional OTP;and it has been exceptional lately. Poor OTP has a real cost and that in turn would simply make the lift more expensive for AC, exasperating the situation. Poor performance has cost CPA carriers in the US flying, even when they were cheaper. Think Mesa.

A better approach is to continue to maintain OTP and reduce costs to AC where possible. At least that provides another factor with which to negotiate with in the future. Look at Sky now. Their OTP is less than stellar and any new Canadian entrant will likely be the same.

genetic jack hammer
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by genetic jack hammer »

47north wrote:
genetic jack hammer wrote: Would this be a good time for the Jazz Pilot group to stop trying to providing AC with our exceptional (take that with a grain of salt) OTP? Hasn't done us any good, although i'm sure management is loving it $$$$. It seems like as of lately, everyday there's another kick in the gonads given to us.
The worst thing that the Jazz pilot group could do at the moment is to stop trying to maintain exceptional OTP;and it has been exceptional lately. Poor OTP has a real cost and that in turn would simply make the lift more expensive for AC, exasperating the situation. Poor performance has cost CPA carriers in the US flying, even when they were cheaper. Think Mesa.

A better approach is to continue to maintain OTP and reduce costs to AC where possible. At least that provides another factor with which to negotiate with in the future. Look at Sky now. Their OTP is less than stellar and any new Canadian entrant will likely be the same.
Thx 47 north,
I absolutely understand what you're saying. Flying the line, you can sense that employee moral is just getting lower and lower, more and more as the weeks go by. Some guys don't care about OTP. But it's a nasty catch-22 that AC has us in. Our OTP obviously reflects in AC's bottom line (after all, we do 800+ flights a day). So their bottom line looks good. If our OTP starts to tank, doesn't start to look so good and we're told that we're too expensive. Either way, we're too expensive to them, good OTP or bad OTP.

volez
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by volez »

Hey gents,

What do you guys think of the College of Professional Pilots of Canada which would in the end allow us to unite as a one and unique group ?

http://www.collegeofpilots.ca

cpt.sam
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by cpt.sam »

rudder wrote:
Rumors wrote:
Rudder,

You seem to be pretty knowledgable.

If you were part of ACPA/ALPA leadrship(maybe you are) what would you do?

What would be your game plan?
1. Start talking to each other

2. Start talking to the ultimate corporate decision maker.

3. Develop a strategic plan that creates better outcomes for all concerned (including the corporation)

4. Keep the membership informed and educate them as to why a tripartite solution is the best long term source of prosperity, opportunity, and job security.

5. Implement the plan and conquer the world :D

Imagine being the first CEO of a major airline that did not have to constantly accept less than optimal fleet deployment scenarios or diminished market flexibility due to scope of work restrictions and jurisdictional constraints. And all of this could come from working with a motivated, proactive and enlightened pilot work force.
A very blunt view, I know...
The three groups of under paid employees; Engineers, Dispatchers, and Drivers....
These are the three groups that do the MOST every day to insure SAFE and EFFICIENT airline operations. Now, I'm not discounting the efforts and concerns of others, such as agents and flight attendants, but the three mains are there.
AC has how many hundreds of "managers"?
How many corporate officials?
How many millions did CR get in bonuses last year?
I see most of this problem as greed at the top!
NO, I don't think I am capable of taking CR's position and gliding AC to perfectly streamlined ops, but I'm damned sure someone, rather some group, of people could operate an airline just as good ( or gooder ) and take less from the employees and more from executives!
I don't know really, I'm a pilot not an executive... But does anyone else see this?

cpt.sam
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by cpt.sam »

volez wrote:Hey gents,

What do you guys think of the College of Professional Pilots of Canada which would in the end allow us to unite as a one and unique group ?

http://www.collegeofpilots.ca

I asked this question too, in a different topic tho I think.
Is this "college" something that will help us?
Or a pipe dream of some pilot turned union leader?
The website seems.....lacking???

airspeed250
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by airspeed250 »

Public corporations are under pressure to cut labour costs so I can't see conditions improving... as long as someone else will work for less. Pilots can have the best relationship with management and I don't think it will matter. My team had a great relationship with management and nearly half my entire office floor took a severance package due to downsizing. This was at a highly profitable energy company (but still needs to show earnings growth year after year). To say the least, the company was not suffering. It's the quest of perpetual earnings growth to drive the share price higher. And yes, middle/upper management spare themselves but that's where the shareholder really needs some visibility. Shareholders are blind to the corporate structure inside a company. There was nearly a manager for every two or three workers on my floor, never mind layer upon layer of directors.

Mig29
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Mig29 »

airspeed250 wrote:Public corporations are under pressure to cut labour costs so I can't see conditions improving... as long as someone else will work for less. Pilots can have the best relationship with management and I don't think it will matter. My team had a great relationship with management and nearly half my entire office floor took a severance package due to downsizing. This was at a highly profitable energy company (but still needs to show earnings growth year after year). To say the least, the company was not suffering. It's the quest of perpetual earnings growth to drive the share price higher. And yes, middle/upper management spare themselves but that's where the shareholder really needs some visibility. Shareholders are blind to the corporate structure inside a company. There was nearly a manager for every two or three workers on my floor, never mind layer upon layer of directors.
It's sad yet so true. Capitalism at it's worst!

Flaps 1
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Flaps 1 »

Why is this government so hellbent on making Canada a third-world country?

ratherbee
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ratherbee »

The new ATP requirements in the US are putting pressure on the regionals' ability to hire cheap inexperienced pilots. Now that Age 65 has been in the States for 5 years they are seeing big retirements again and hundreds of furloughed pilots are returning to the majors. ALPA is a strong and capable union so they should be able to negotiate better contracts for these pilots.

For AC, the reason they are focusing on diversifying their regionals is to protect and grow the feeder structure for the mainline. This will provide more feed and allow more wide-bodies. If they do it right, it will also provide more profit which means more jobs, more pay, more secure pension, etc (yes, yes more executive bonuses too).

I realize it's frightening for some but this is the airline industry and it's not for the faint of heart.

Norwegianwood
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Norwegianwood »

But there is at least some sanity out there, EU said no to silly work rules.......

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-24327366

MeAndMrPenguin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by MeAndMrPenguin »

Regional 1 and Georgian have combined. Binder has access to many RJ's and Dash 8's. Georgian is now the provider of cadets. I can see one Canadian company bidding...

midwingcrisis
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by midwingcrisis »

The cost structure between Canadian and US carriers is night and day. Crew wages and benefits would only account to 4% of total cost(s). There is a lot more to it than crew costs

bcflyer
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by bcflyer »

Norwegianwood wrote:But there is at least some sanity out there, EU said no to silly work rules.......

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-24327366
Sadly it looks like they have been overruled and the silly work rules are being pushed through. Guess we need another hull loss with the associated loss of life to get the point across......

countryhick
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by countryhick »

Jazz Aviation LP ranks first for on-time performance among Canadian carriers

Ten consecutive months in the leading position

HALIFAX, Oct. 10, 2013 /CNW/ - Jazz Aviation LP ("Jazz") today announced it ranked first among Canadian carriers for arrival on-time performance for the month of September 2013, as reported by FlightStats Inc. This marks Jazz's 10th consecutive month in the leading position among Canadian carriers, and also places it among North America's top five on-time performing airlines for the past five months, according to the leading global flight and airport information service.

"Our operational expertise has allowed us to build a company of superior scope and scale, and has earned us a reputation for safe, reliable and efficient service," said Jolene Mahody, Chief Operating Officer, Jazz. "Jazz's extensive footprint includes the operation of more daily flights than any other Canadian carrier and flights to some of the most challenging destinations. My thanks go to our employees who are committed to providing a safe, on-time and customer-friendly service. These comparative statistics are a testament to the expertise and service excellence delivered by our team at Jazz."

As the largest regional carrier in Canada, Jazz has a proven track record of industry leadership and exceptional customer service, and has leveraged that strength to deliver value to all its stakeholders. Jazz has a workforce of approximately 5,000 professionals highly experienced in the challenging and complex nature of regional operations.

Return to “Air Canada”