The ever looming pilot "shortage"

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

teacher
Rank 10
Rank 10
Posts: 2450
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2004 3:25 pm

Re: The ever looming pilot "shortage"

Post by teacher »

Very good video however I could have gone without the racist comments about foreign woman and other cultures in video 2.
---------- ADS -----------
 
CanadianEh
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 564
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:00 pm
Location: YYZ

Re: The ever looming pilot "shortage"

Post by CanadianEh »

teacher wrote:Very good video however I could have gone without the racist comments about foreign woman and other cultures in video 2.
Agreed!
---------- ADS -----------
 
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 7200
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:26 am

Re: The ever looming pilot "shortage"

Post by digits_ »

I don't get it why he says the "supply and demand" theory doesn't hold.

1) He says that pilots were paid very well a few decades a go
2) There hase never been a shortage
3) The wages go down every year

Looks like a perfect "supply and demand" example. The only problem is that airlines lie about the the supply part, which is in reality much higher than they want to admit. But that doesn't invalidate the theory.
---------- ADS -----------
 
N2
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1301
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2004 9:23 am
Location: Under witness protection!

Re: The ever looming pilot "shortage"

Post by N2 »

I've been hearing this same story since 1988.
---------- ADS -----------
 
cpt.sam
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 141
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:36 am

Re: The ever looming pilot "shortage"

Post by cpt.sam »

pilotbzh wrote:don't worry shortage is averted, air canada pilot have almost stop retiring for the next 4-5 years saving the pension at the same time...

:smt040

the only shortage is of idiot to spend 60-70K to get a job starting at 20-30k...

Dude...Where were you 8 years ago man?
I coulda used your advice!
BUT, I do love flying. And I want to be able to do it here at home for the rest of my career.
It seems there a bridge missing. Maybe 2.
A bridge between 250 tt and 1500 tt.
Then the bridge between 1500 tt and "x" amount of tt with 1500 MPIC.
Surely there are jobs about to open at the majors, it's logic. But it's that lack of a bridge for folks starting out to getting a gig, then getting a better gig to be in a position to get to majors.

Canada "needs" skilled, typed drivers, that we ain't got. So foreigners intrude.
Asia needs the same, so WE go there (as foreigners).
Wouldn't it be great if there was a more fluid career progression here at home?
---------- ADS -----------
 
ettw
Rank 8
Rank 8
Posts: 817
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:33 pm
Location: CYFB or CNS4

Re: The ever looming pilot "shortage"

Post by ettw »

I can see a shortage coming.

I'm hoping the smarter kids these days will stop dropping 75k for a pilots ticket to work for less money than they could if they were to get a trade. This will decrease the supply which should allow us to get better pay, generally, for the work we're doing. Hard to say how long this will take but its coming, I hope.

I've told my kid to become a plumber....2 things will NEVER change....sh!t will always flow downhill AND people will ALWAYS pay big bucks to have someone clean it up.

I should have stayed in heating and air conditioning.....

ETTW
---------- ADS -----------
 
Prodriver
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 262
Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:42 pm

Re: The ever looming pilot "shortage"

Post by Prodriver »

I took my plumber flying and he is hooked!
---------- ADS -----------
 
ehbuddy
Rank 6
Rank 6
Posts: 446
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 7:55 pm
Location: Halifax

Re: The ever looming pilot "shortage"

Post by ehbuddy »

The last time and only time a pilot shortage happened was when Orville and Wilbur built their third aircraft................
---------- ADS -----------
 
Last edited by ehbuddy on Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11
Posts: 3956
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2004 7:46 am

Re: The ever looming pilot "shortage"

Post by Inverted2 »

What we need is a shortage of pilots willing to work for garbage wages: *Encore*
---------- ADS -----------
 
Post Reply

Return to “General Comments”