android approved apps

Having difficulties with AvCanada Forums, the internet etc.. ask your questions here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

jlfd26
Rank 1
Rank 1

android approved apps

Post by jlfd26 »

Hi all,

I Am currently looking for for an android tablet rather than the Ipad because I am a big fan of android having tried both apple an android products. I was deceived to learn that foreflight was not available for android since it is the only application I know that is approved by FAA and TC.

I was wondering if there was any other apps in the android market that would be approved or if any of you know of developments in the future for android users

thank you
---------- ADS -----------

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: android approved apps

Post by AirFrame »

jlfd26 wrote:I Am currently looking for for an android tablet rather than the Ipad because I am a big fan of android having tried both apple an android products. I was deceived to learn that foreflight was not available for android since it is the only application I know that is approved by FAA and TC.

I was wondering if there was any other apps in the android market that would be approved or if any of you know of developments in the future for android users
Are you asking as a Private pilot who wants to use it for recreational flying, or as a Commercial pilot looking for something to use on the job?

As a Private pilot, you don't need it to be "approved by TC". You must be aware of all of the information necessary to complete your flight, nothing more. You don't need current charts or CFS nor do they need to be on-board. Check out AirNavigationPro on Android, it has free Canadian terrain basemaps, and free Canadian airspace and airport data. It's not a VNC or VTA, but it's good enough for VFR work. Just check someone's current chart from time to time to make sure you're not missing anything.

jlfd26
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by jlfd26 »

Yes it is mostly for commercial use so I really need something approved

Jlau
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Jlau »

As far as I know there is nothing approved by TC as far as android apps goes. I also don't think that iOS have TC approved apps yet, contrary to the USA where i know for fact that most company will provide an ipad loaded with approach chart.

Would it not be an option for you to have your charts and checklist on the tablet in a pdf format? It's basically the same as paper, except more convenient. It would not need to be approve, an offical chart is an official chart.

Travelling_Gav
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Travelling_Gav »

New app on Google Play https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... otamfilter

Allows you to retrieve MET and NOTAMs from the NAV Canada website and filter the NOTAMs according to a series of user defined options.

dashx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by dashx »

Have you looked at a Windows 8 tablet? As an alternative......?

Return to “Internet and Computer Help”