Temporary foreign pilots in 2013

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Gilles Hudicourt
Rank 10
Rank 10

Temporary foreign pilots in 2013

Post by Gilles Hudicourt »

I received in the mail this morning this file from ESDC. I contains all LMO applications made by Canadian aircraft operators for importing Temporary Foreign Worker Pilots in 2013. Because I made the application in late Oct 2013, the applications received after that date by ESDC in 2013 do not appear.

(They inserted a few applications from before 2013 by mistake on the CD, so check the date and just ignore those)

In essence, several commercial operators, aircraft manufacturers, private operators, Training outfits, and the the Royal Canadian Air Force applied for hundreds of foreign pilots in 2013.

There are a bunch of Helicopter Operators that imported helicopter pilots
Many crop dusting outfits imported crop dusting pilots.
CAE imported instructors
The RCAF imported British pilots
Sky Regional imported an Embraer 195 instructor (no 195 instructors in Canada I guess)
We are even importing low time instructors and bush pilots.....

It's time that Canadian pilots stood up for their rights and defended their jobs. For every TFW pilot admitted into Canada, one Canadian pilot was denied a job that was rightfully theirs.......

You can view the file yourselves..........

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105 ... 202013.pdf
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by Gilles Hudicourt on Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:37 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Condorito
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Temporary foreign pilots in 2013

Post by Condorito »

Its the Canadian Way...

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

How are they getting Canadian licences? Or are they? What about instructor ratings?

Gilles Hudicourt
Rank 10
Rank 10

ahramin wrote:How are they getting Canadian licences? Or are they? What about instructor ratings?
Each case is different. Some get FLVCs. Some obtained Canadian Licences. In the case of flight instructors, some were probably foreign students at the flight school that the school decided to hire when they got their licences. In the case of the RAF pilots, the Defense Minister did some magic......

EPR
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by EPR »

Really fustrating to hear this!
What can we do to fight this, can we sign a petition some where, is there a form letter we can sign and foreward to our MP's?
Keep up the good fight Gilles!

Keep the dirty side down.
FICU
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by FICU »

When did the RAF start operating P-3s? A few CAF LMOs are for RAF pilots to fly the CP-140 because of a shortage of qualified CAF CP-140 pilots.

EPR
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by EPR »

Interesting, $135.000 + for a Bombardier C-series test pilot.

Keep the dirty side down.
davecessna
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by davecessna »

Gilles Hudicourt wrote: CAE imported instructors
I won't take a stand on my company's practices, but I do believe the information may come from instructors hired to set up our on-location training centers. I've met many of the test pilots/instructors here and they are all Canadian as far as I know.

I will admit I don't know much, however :)

Gilles Hudicourt
Rank 10
Rank 10

Nor do I claim that all LMO application are unfounded. There are some cases when it is justified. But they are few and far between.

AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

Gilles,

We do not need canadian licenses to fly a military aircraft. No magic involved.

Going for the deck at corner
co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

I'd bet the RAF pilot hiring has to do with the recent renewal of the british forces training contract for suffield. Just a guess but they just re-signed that deal so if a few limey pilots working here greases that wheel enough for a multi year multi million dollar contract, I'm on board.

What does CAE do in Canada? They're huge in the US, do they have sims or manufacturing here?

At any rate the minister of forced labour Lisa Raitt is the one who controls that isn't she? ...and we all know she hates pilots.

Gilles Hudicourt
Rank 10
Rank 10

AuxBatOn wrote:Gilles,

We do not need canadian licenses to fly a military aircraft. No magic involved.
True. In this case, the magic was in by-passing the citizenship laws.

AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

The MND has the power to enrol non-citizens.

Gilles Hudicourt
Rank 10
Rank 10

EPR wrote:Really fustrating to hear this!
What can we do to fight this, can we sign a petition some where, is there a form letter we can sign and foreward to our MP's?
Keep up the good fight Gilles!
ALPA made a call to arms in early 2012, asking everyone to write to their MPs about the foreign pilots. Many pilots did.

We then did the petition in May-June 2012 to Immigration Canada. Thanks to many readers here we gathered 2452 signatures. I do not know what effect it had but CIC no longer recognizes wet-leases overseas as counting towards Reciprocity Work Permits.

We later did the form letter to Transport Canada with regards to FLVCs. That had zero effect as far as FLVCs go. Transport Canada did coordinate some meetings with CIC, ESDC and the CTA after that. I like to think that the letters they received has some effect. But TC still hands out FLVCs to foreign pilot for revenue commercial flying like they were candy in a box.....

A campaign against LMOs to ESDC has not been tried yet. Would it have any effect ? I'm not certain I have the energy for this anymore.

davecessna
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by davecessna »

co-joe wrote:I'd bet the RAF pilot hiring has to do with the recent renewal of the british forces training contract for suffield. Just a guess but they just re-signed that deal so if a few limey pilots working here greases that wheel enough for a multi year multi million dollar contract, I'm on board.

What does CAE do in Canada? They're huge in the US, do they have sims or manufacturing here?

At any rate the minister of forced labour Lisa Raitt is the one who controls that isn't she? ...and we all know she hates pilots.
CAE stands for Canadian Aviation Electronics. We are based here in Montreal, along the aerospace strip on Cote-de-Liesse. And yes, our manufacturing is still here. We are partnered with Air Canada and co-run the training center in Toronto from what I understand. We're delivering those brand spanking new 787 sims to them soon (what a neat looking cockpit, I must say). We have about 10,000 jobs here in Montreal. We are also partnered with the RCAF for training purposes too.

CAE USA is an extension that allows us access to US classified (mostly military) projects.

http://www.cae.com

Mr. T
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Mr. T »

Gilles Hudicourt wrote:
EPR wrote:
A campaign against LMOs to ESDC has not been tried yet. Would it have any effect ? I'm not certain I have the energy for this anymore.
I think you have done a lot for our profession Gilles, and believe no doubt that you've exhausted yourself. Thank you for what you've done already thus far. Even though it may appear to fall on deaf ears, it isn't.

Unfortunately, many 'professional' pilots, rather complain on a public forum anonymously, rather than help to fix the problem, with affirmative action or otherwise.

There is a quote by an old Irish guy that once said,

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

In todays world, that is becoming all to true in politics, aviation, or otherwise.

Gilles Hudicourt
Rank 10
Rank 10

AuxBatOn wrote:The MND has the power to enrol non-citizens.
Which, in the case of Military Pilots, he always had but had not used since.............ever ?

The law says that to be a RCAF pilot (an officer really) one needs to be Canadian. Even legal residents need not apply. The law also says the MND can overrule that law.
Those that get LMOs are not even legal residents of this country. They are Temporary Foreign Workers. We have TFWs flying our military aircraft because the Government thinks they can save a few buck hiring these already trained foreign military pilots instead of hiring and training young Canadians.

The next step is to hire TFW Members of Parliament and Senators too. I'm certain we could save a few dollars going that route. Actually, we should begin with a TFW Director of Civil Aviation.

AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

So, no law was broken?

Gilles Hudicourt
Rank 10
Rank 10

AuxBatOn wrote:So, no law was broken?
I don't think so in this case...... but it doesn't make it right...

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

Gilles, in the case of the military pilots am I correct in saying that there is nothing illegal about the way it was done? I mean it's pretty clear that the LVCs and LMOs are not legal according to the laws and guidance that govern them, but is there anything illegal about the way foreign military pilots are brought in? And is there anything different about the way this is currently being done compared to previous decades? As far as I know there has always been an exchange of Air Force pilots between Canada/US/Britain/others.

Return to “General Comments”