Aviation Apps for Android Tablet

Discuss aviation related software and devices here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

Gannet167
Rank 7
Rank 7

Aviation Apps for Android Tablet

Post by Gannet167 »

Apple seems to have the aviation market cornered with its iPad. Jeppesen, Foreflight, Aviation Docs, Aeroweather and Flightplan.com all have very nice Apple Apps, to name a few.

However, the Android tablets in many ways are more appealing. Does anyone know of any Android Apps for aviation? How do they compare to the Apple equivalent?
---------- ADS -----------

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Aviation Apps for Android Tablet

Post by Eric Janson »

Aviation Pocketknife - nice free app.

SkyWriterSoft
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by SkyWriterSoft »

I write aviation apps for both platforms.
http://www.skywritersoft.com
I still prefer the iPad over the Android tablet. The iPad is built very well and the user experience is very consistant with any app you might buy.
With Android you never know what the progam will look like (layout) on your device. So its always best to try a demo version out before you purchase a program.

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

Air Navigation Pro is a very good ipad app. There is an Android version, but apparently it doesn't have all the features of the ipad version. Might be worth looking at though. I've just used the ipad version, and it is excellent (you've basically got the equivalent of a $1k garmin device for about 50 bucks!)

Some other useful android apps I use:

e6b+ - the best free w+b app I've found (and if you fly an Archer II, Cessna 152/172N or Cirrus SR22 it has built-in C of G charts)

Real Time GPS Tracker - very useful free tracking app. As good as SPOT if you have cell service where you're flying, but completely free!

beaverbob
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by beaverbob »

Try this:
http://www.naviatorapp.com/default.aspx

Designed in Vancouver.
The only problem for Canadian VFR Unfortunately is that Nav Canada holds the copyright to the actual VFR and IFR charts and they are currently unable to be added to the app.
When will Navcanada enter the 21st century?

Bob

FlyGy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by FlyGy »

grejen
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by grejen »

I've recently earned a recreational pilots license. To supplement "From the Ground Up" I did a lot of studying with freely available online materials, sites, and even a few apps. To give back a bit I've created a few android apps. All are free and do not have adds though I may create some added feature versions for a small fee. For now it's a hobby.

The first was to help me practice doing clock math to calculate a diversion ETA and GS based on time between landmarks.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... rsionTrial. If randoms up the distance to the alternate and time / distance to calculate GS from.

The next (and my most popular so far) is a tool to learn to speak the ICAO alphabet. There're many apps the show you the alphabet, mine is the only one that requires you to speak it which is what you actually need to learn.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... AOPhonetic

My third app demonstrates the physics involved in coordinated turns. Loading, turn rate, radius and stall speed are recalculated and displayed as you adjust the bank angle and airspeed. A common textbook illustration brought to life.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... en711.Turn

The latest idea is a graphical, touch/drag method to draw wind triangles for flight planning. No entering numbers or spinning spinners to input the values. Just drag the vectors and everything calculates, even the magnetic heading. A more intuitive 'whizwheel'. As a bonus on this app there is a game to practice estimating the WCA and calculating your Magnetic heading. True course, Airspeed and Wind are created at random. Estimate the WCA with your E6B, or even estimate it in your head. Drag the heading bug to the the required magnetic heading and tap to fly. If you drift to far you loose your way and your score.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... Windvector

B52
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by B52 »

I'd like to see if an Android Tablet can be used with just pdf.

Does anyone use one for IFR?

Would anyone have a pdf copy of CAP 4?

PM please

I_Drive_Planes
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by I_Drive_Planes »

I use FltPlan Go quite a bit. It's free and you can access a huge amount of free data with it, including VNC, VTA, approach plates, IFR charts, and CFS info (and the US equivalents of course). It's not perfect (many little airports are not included and the CFS info doesn't include terminal procedures info or anything that doesn't pertain directly to the airport you are looking up), but it's head and shoulders above any other Android flight planning/navigation app I've seen.

The other one I really like is called "Aircraft Weight and Balance" (the one by Appventive, there are a few with this title). It costs about $10, but it is really easy to setup and use.

Return to “Aviation Software & Devices”