1100.Colonel Sanders wrote: What time does MacDonald's stop serving
breakfast?
Future Airline Pilots
Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog
Re: Future Airline Pilots
Re: Future Airline Pilots
Give me some numbers you would think to be good for northern medevac?boxcut wrote: If the only way to make these businesses viable is slave labour, maybe the prices should be changed for this service?
I am curious to know what you think.
I agree with Col. Guess if you can read, do a few formulas and a bit of arithmetic you'll be just fine.I'd say if you aren't good at math, you have no business flying passengers around. Math is everywhere in aviation, and if you aren't up to snuff, people die.
Integrals wont help you read an emergency checklist.
Last edited by timel on Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Colonel Sanders
- Top Poster

- Posts: 7512
- Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:17 pm
- Location: Over Macho Grande
Re: Future Airline Pilots
All a pilot really needs to know, is the alphabet.
-
Stu Pidasso
- Rank 5

- Posts: 346
- Joined: Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:55 pm
Re: Future Airline Pilots
I would prefer NOT to be in the back when he tries his first "Visual Approach" into SFO on a clear day with the ILS off.complexintentions wrote:Hmm recently completed a flight with an Emirati FO who came through the EK cadet program. The first and only airliner he has ever flown is the B777. He's 25.
And guess what? He was superb. He did a brilliant job, very, very sharp. Good decision-making, good handling skills, incredible systems knowledge. (Better than mine, although that's not exactly setting the bar very high.) Excellent support in the non-flying role. Eager to learn, respectful and willing to listen to whatever suggestions I threw at him. (It was not a training flight and I am not a trainer. Surely we should all be mentors when we are in a position to be one?)
No, he's not ready for command. And guess what? He won't be eligible for upgrade for quite a few more years. But in that time he will easily have the exposure to the situations, and gain that experience that will make him a more than capable commander for the operation for which he was hired to fly. On the side, he is studying for a Masters in Aviation Management.
The idea that cadet programs will automatically result in accidents is a conceit possessed by many who have zero idea of how these programs actually work.
Some of the "smartest Pilots" I know, are the "worst Pilots" I have ever flown with.
Re: Future Airline Pilots
This very much looks like Boeing taking the initiative towards selling more airframes. 'Hey all you start up airlines, we can cut the pilot wage and training costs FOR you if you buy some more of our shiny triple seven eight nine tens from us for the next decade(s)'
Re: Future Airline Pilots
I wonder if he can manage to do a visual approach at YEG when the FMS won't let him enter the runway?Stu Pidasso wrote:complexintentions wrote:Hmm recently completed a flight with an Emirati FO who came through the EK cadet program. The first and only airliner he has ever flown is the B777. He's 25.
I would prefer NOT to be in the back when he tries his first "Visual Approach" into SFO on a clear day with the ILS off.
Some of the "smartest Pilots" I know, are the "worst Pilots" I have ever flown with.
Re: Future Airline Pilots
Ten minutes too earlyColonel Sanders wrote:Actually, pilots have to have a decent working
ability of arithmetic, not mathematics.
If you can add, subtract, multiply and divide,
you're our boy. Example:
-- cut --
You are flying to an airport 172 nm away. You
have 25 gallons on board. You are leaned out
to 11 gallons per hour. Your true airspeed is
130 knots. The wind is 35 degrees off your
nose at 25 knots.
What time does MacDonald's stop serving
breakfast?
- Cat Driver
- Top Poster

- Posts: 18921
- Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2004 8:31 pm
Re: Future Airline Pilots
I'd say if you aren't good at math, you have no business flying passengers around. Math is everywhere in aviation, and if you aren't up to snuff, people die.
If that is true then aircraft must have gotten far more difficult to fly than when I was in the industry, because I am not all that great at math.
Maybe I was just lucky though because no one ever asked me how much education I had.
The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no
After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
Re: Future Airline Pilots
Dear Mr Pidasso and Capn Crunch,
With all due respect, please don't make the mistake of comparing Complex' Emirati FO with the Asiana SFO crew. There is a HUGE difference between the two. The Emirati FO will have already done the work in the sim, been cleared to operate to most difficult airports, practised the SFO visual arrival, gone through a good CRM training course, and wouldn't be released for line ops unless he demonstrated a solid level of understanding of Human Factors/CRM and the pitfalls that go along with it.
You guys may be trying to be light hearted, but in all seriousness, that Emirati FO will be years ahead in his understanding of Command Gradients and know how to make himself heard in the environment he is in. I'm not saying all cadets in the EK program are worthy of Complex' praise, but to get to the point where his FO is flying the line takes serious amounts of hard work. Lots drop out on the way, as they can't or won't put the work in, and the one's that end up on the line are usually motivated and bright. The cultural differences are obvious, the Korean subservience to authority that got Asiana into all that trouble is rare at EK.
Fly Safe…
GRK
With all due respect, please don't make the mistake of comparing Complex' Emirati FO with the Asiana SFO crew. There is a HUGE difference between the two. The Emirati FO will have already done the work in the sim, been cleared to operate to most difficult airports, practised the SFO visual arrival, gone through a good CRM training course, and wouldn't be released for line ops unless he demonstrated a solid level of understanding of Human Factors/CRM and the pitfalls that go along with it.
You guys may be trying to be light hearted, but in all seriousness, that Emirati FO will be years ahead in his understanding of Command Gradients and know how to make himself heard in the environment he is in. I'm not saying all cadets in the EK program are worthy of Complex' praise, but to get to the point where his FO is flying the line takes serious amounts of hard work. Lots drop out on the way, as they can't or won't put the work in, and the one's that end up on the line are usually motivated and bright. The cultural differences are obvious, the Korean subservience to authority that got Asiana into all that trouble is rare at EK.
Fly Safe…
GRK



