Cat Driver wrote:Same here, I do not see anything that even comes close to risk to property or persons.
I see a miscalculated takeoff that should either have been aborted or at the very least kept on the water until past the bridge. The only other option is that it was deliberate in which case TC enforcement is warranted.
You don't know who was onboard, the experience level of the pilot or whether or not there were motorists on the bridge who didn't plan on getting broadsided by an airplane flown by a pilot with unknown skills and/or judgement. So the quote above makes no sense. Just as comparing this takeoff to a sanctioned stunt flown by a professional stunt pilot with all the appropriate safety precautions doesn't.
True we don't know if the person operating the controls of that airplane even had a license to operate it, it could even have been stolen.
My comment stands.....looking at the video I do not see any danger to the public and whoever it was behind the controls was either lucky or had complete control of the airplane.
It will be interesting to see if TC can find the person involved and see what if any actipn they may take.
---------- ADS -----------
Last edited by Cat Driver on Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no
After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
That is completely contradictory Cat. You're viewing that video as if you were the pilot when you weren't. Even if it was you, you can't say it was appropriate because nobody on that bridge knows you, or if they did would be prepared to accept the risk. Would you say the same thing if your family were onboard or driving across that bridge and you knew nothing about the pilot?
Don't bother answering, I know what you would say. You do no one here a service by tacitly condoning that.
Well forgive me for saying, but that's because you have no concept of the danger either as a motorist on the bridge, a passenger on that plane, or even as its pilot.
I was hoping you could imagine yourself as a motorist watching an airplane flying toward the bridge you were driving across, or a passenger sitting in the back of that plane wondering if you were going become part of the decor on that bridge. I guess I was wrong.
I don't see any danger to anyone. But: to bad in was just a supercub; and not a 185, a Beaver or a mighty Norseman. That would have gotten everyone's attention cause of the noise, but still no danger. [maybe a local noise ordinance] he he!
Well of course I wasn't there, I never claimed to be. Neither was anybody else on here saying there was nothing wrong with this. Kind of my point. You defend this knowing nothing about the particulars, and by your own admission knowing nothing about that kind of flying
"I was hoping you could imagine yourself as a motorist watching an airplane flying toward the bridge you were driving across, or a passenger sitting in the back of that plane wondering if you were going become part of the decor on that bridge. I guess I was wrong.
My apologies. "
This is the actual quote. Listen friend, this discussion stops here between you and I because I get the impression you are very new at this aviation stuff and very young. Personally I love talking to young people about this gig but they have to have an open mind. Yours doesn't seem that open.
I was hoping you could imagine yourself as a motorist watching an airplane flying toward the bridge you were driving across, or a passenger sitting in the back of that plane wondering if you were going become part of the decor on that bridge. I guess I was wrong.
Are you guys seriously questioning this pilot's "experience level"?
Who cares! The pilot in question was either appropriately licensed and the aircraft properly insured and operated as such or he/she was not.
I know the area well and would never have attempted a take-off where that pilot did (it's asking for attention and well... Now we know what can occur when non aviation folks are watching!).
Did the pilot make a poor decision in starting a "slide" there? Perhaps.
Does that pilot deserve to be hung out to dry because of a legal take-off although poorly planned (why not just taxi past the bridge before his take-off slide?) Absolutely not.
All the best,
TPC
PS: Someone said they thought it was a supercub... Looks like a J-3 to me given it's TO performance...
Hey chuckles didn't you have a pick of the cat doing something similar in Europe? One of my fantasies was flying an Cf104 through the gvrd bridges during rush hour.
Rockie. How much float time did you say you had? So the bedwetters might get scared, I think this was simply about the rowing club being pissed about having to share the river.