Chance of getting hired with a tattoo?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

MrWings
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Chance of getting hired with a tattoo?

Post by MrWings »

Long sleeves have kept my smack habit hidden for years. A tattoo should be a piece of cake!
---------- ADS -----------

Illya Kuryakin
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Illya Kuryakin »

Sulako wrote:I have several large tattoos. I like tattoos. I want more tattoos. Not everyone wants to know their el capitano is illustrated with demons, so I make a nominal effort to not show them off when I'm on duty. So far, so good.
Yah, but all your tats are on your butt, and you hopefully didn't have to show them during your interviews!
Cheers mate
Illya

Wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then.
Rudder Bug
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Rudder Bug »

Illya Kuryakin wrote:
Sulako wrote:I have several large tattoos. I like tattoos. I want more tattoos. Not everyone wants to know their el capitano is illustrated with demons, so I make a nominal effort to not show them off when I'm on duty. So far, so good.
Yah, but all your tats are on your butt, and you hopefully didn't have to show them during your interviews!
Cheers mate
Illya
He didn't have to because he's never had an interview in Québec!

:D

Flying an aircraft and building a guitar are two things that are easy to do bad and difficult to do right

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Yd_QppdGks
tdawe
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by tdawe »

I'm too busy judging you Air Canada guys over those stupid hats to be bothered judging you on your tattoos.

Jungle Jim
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Jungle Jim »

Canada14,
It should not matter about the tattoos but unfortunately reality of the situation could be different. You made a choice to get the very prominent tattoo that may now affect your desired career. Where I work we look at the choices people have made in their lives and it does influence our decisions as to whether we want to have them making important decisions for our company. There are most likely other qualified candidates that have made a different choice with respect to tattoos that a prospective employer can choose from.

Jim

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
Stu Pidasso
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Stu Pidasso »

My 2 cents, from an old AC guy. Tattoos are a fact of life, particularly for the under 30 crowd. My own kids, boys and girls, have tattoos - although a little more discreet than full sleeve.

I don't think anyone at AC would give a sh*t, although I would agree that you should wear long sleeve shirts. No point in making a scene out of yourself. One of the problems (could be) the Medical? If the Doctor makes an issue of it, you will not be hired.

Out of curiosity I will ask the Medical department what their position is.

As for the comment about a Checker running you off on probation - not a hope. They would need far greater reasoning than your tattoos to have you fired - probation or not.

Pop n Fresh
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Pop n Fresh »

I agree if you are under thirty or slightly over, it is getting very close to being a non issue unless the images are really extreme.

Our daughter's grade 7 teacher has a substantial portion of her arm tattooed. Plenty of other visible ones.

I WAS Birddog
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by I WAS Birddog »

....years ago I contemplated getting a tat...
...then I says to me self; "Would I put a bumper sticker on a Ferrari...?!"

The End :D

Before you plot your revenge on someone, make sure to dig two graveyard plots.
http://twitter.com/@iwasbirddog
Genetk44
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Genetk44 »

I got my tat when I was 17 in 1972, when getting a tat really was about making either a statement or just pi**ing the man off. Now tats are common as dirt and no different than wearing a pair of jeans or those stupid hipster trilbys ........ Why somebody having a tat, in and of itself,should impact a career choice in this day and age is beyond me.

5x5
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 5x5 »

What I don't understand about choosing to get a tattoo is the permanence of it. I know that you can get the tattoo removal laser surgery now, but still, they're mostly permanent. Now, I realize that you choose a tattoo that looks cool. But I also realize that my, and I assume, most peoples choice of what looks cool changes over time. I've had lots of shirts I liked a lot and really looked cool, and I could buy a boatload of them, but I don't want to wear that same shirt for the rest of my life. Sure, I could walk around telling everyone that I still really loved the shirt to justify my "quirk", but inside I'd want to rip the stupid thing off and burn it.

I simply don't get what makes a tattoo any different.

Also I just want to say I'm not judging anyone else's choices, I'm simply expressing my own view. And I don't think tattoos or no tattoos should have any impact on job opportunities.

Being stupid around airplanes is a capital offence and nature is a hanging judge!

“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.”
Mark Twain
Diadem
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Diadem »

5x5 wrote:What I don't understand about choosing to get a tattoo is the permanence of it. I know that you can get the tattoo removal laser surgery now, but still, they're mostly permanent. Now, I realize that you choose a tattoo that looks cool. But I also realize that my, and I assume, most peoples choice of what looks cool changes over time. I've had lots of shirts I liked a lot and really looked cool, and I could buy a boatload of them, but I don't want to wear that same shirt for the rest of my life. Sure, I could walk around telling everyone that I still really loved the shirt to justify my "quirk", but inside I'd want to rip the stupid thing off and burn it.

I simply don't get what makes a tattoo any different.

Also I just want to say I'm not judging anyone else's choices, I'm simply expressing my own view. And I don't think tattoos or no tattoos should have any impact on job opportunities.
My tattoos are representative of strong beliefs I hold which are unlikely to change as I age. They're based on a formative life experience that will impact me until I die, and I don't see any chance of regretting them any time soon. I put a lot of time and thought into them, so they're not just something I did on a drunken whim because I thought they were cool. That said, most people I've met (both with and without tattoos) have never done anything meaningful or put more than two seconds of thought into anything they've done, so they got their ink on a drunken whim because it looked wicked badass.

Stu Pidasso
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Stu Pidasso »

I got my tat when I was 17 in 1972....

Prison (reform school) tats are frowned upon.

(just kidding)

LuckyPilot
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by LuckyPilot »

I'm old,school guy, if your going to have a tat, it had better be a marine corp or regimental tattoo. Olympians can have one as well, but as far as AC, THEY COULD GIVE A RATS ASS. within reason of course. :smt040

FlyingPig
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by FlyingPig »

tattoo sucks. you wont be hired

Diadem
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Diadem »

FlyingPig wrote:tattoo sucks. you wont be hired
Thanks for that eloquent and informative contribution to this discussion.

xchox
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by xchox »

Diadem wrote:
FlyingPig wrote:tattoo sucks. you wont be hired
Thanks for that eloquent and informative contribution to this discussion.

Don't be jealous that he/she was born with perfect complexion and you had to cover yourself up with tats! :lol:

I'm kidding by the way. It was totally uncalled for.

Meatservo wrote:I just slap 'em in there. I don't even make sure they are lined up properly.
co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

5x5 wrote:...I've had lots of shirts I liked a lot and really looked cool, and I could buy a boatload of them, but I don't want to wear that same shirt for the rest of my life. ...
Like you took the words out of my brain.

I like the Marine Corps tatoo. Took a course from a guy last week who had one. Turns out he drove an Avenger in Iraq in 04. Had some cool stories that never would have come out if not for the ink. Still not sure you'd ever want to see an airline pilot sporting full sleeves in the terminal. Stigmas like this are pretty common. Anyone ever see a non female pilot with long hair?

golden hawk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by golden hawk »

This thread gets under my skin..... :rolleyes:

dianna03
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by dianna03 »

Liquid Charlie wrote:Maybe that is why the fast growing area in cosmetic surgery is tat removal --
Tat removal is booming? Probably coz people are changing tats or updating them too. :lol:

Return to “General Comments”