Latest Engine Overhaul costs

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

dave_091
Rank 3
Rank 3

Latest Engine Overhaul costs

Post by dave_091 »

I'm wondering what the latest and greatest engine overhauls are costing? ( 0-200 ; 0-320, 100 to 160 hp engines)

I know there isn't "one bill fits all" for any engine.

Has anyone overhauled their engines recently? How was your experience and what is your ballpark end figure?

All the quotes I am coming across are from 2004 to 2009 and I am sure they must be different now.

I don't think the cost of an overhaul should go over 30K because you could just send the old engine in to manufacturer and get a Re-man engine for cheaper.

I guess as I type this I realize that there really cant be a ballpark figure because the "what if" list is probably thicker than the oxford dictionary. I think that if you're lucky you could get away with a 15k overhaul, if your not then probably a 25k overhaul.

Would the cost of the overhaul include removing the engine and reinstalling the engine? or are those costs over and above the actual overhaul?
---------- ADS -----------

cgzro
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Latest Engine Overhaul costs

Post by cgzro »

Overhaul quotes do not usually include removal or installation. It takes about a day to remove and a day or so to reinstall (2 guys) so you are looking at several thousand above and beyond that quote.

Removed my aeio360 last weekend took about 12 man hours, the packing shipping a few more.

timel
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by timel »

Overhaul o-320 h2ad
Lac à la tortue
25k, 3 y. ago

+ Count a long day of work for a TEA to install it, removing I can't remember.

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

Overhaul quotes do not usually include removal or installation. It takes about a day to remove and a day or so to reinstall (2 guys) so you are looking at several thousand above and beyond that quote.
You may want to think about changing shops ....just saying,

To the op....and overhaul does not typically include several things like new baffling, for example, and perhaps that type of extra was what czrgo meant regarding four man days.

US shops are not anywhere nearly as well regulated as Canadian shops and their work quality is all over the place. Generally, you are better just to do an exchange, and replace some of the parts not included in the exchange. If you fly a single engine, you want a top notch overhaul, not the cheapest one available necessarily. There are several very reputable engine shops in Canada.. Good insurance to do it right, and if you call them they can five you a quote which is accurate.

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
cgzro
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cgzro »

You may want to think about changing shops ....just saying,
Meant to say that the overhaul shops quote does not include removal/installation and other assorted stuff like hoses, oil filter etc. which can add many thousands to the bill, but your mechanic should be able to break it down for you.

My first overhaul at 600Tt (lifters were toast) cost a total of 32k about 5 years ago and I was not involved, let mechanic pick shop etc. don't think I even asked about warranty. A kickback was hidden in price hence Im doing it differently this time around. I'm told this was normal in Quebec but I don't like that so...

My second overhaul at 1100TT (cracked case) is being done at PennYan in USA because the warranty is 3 years and their reputation is excellent which is good for resale value.

I checked into a replacement engine from Lycoming and it would have cost 6k more and taken 2 months to get the engine built before they shipped it and it does not use necessarily any of my parts. Since i know how ive treated my engine in particular the crank i wanted it back again which ruled out an exchange. Lycoming warranty is 2 years... So also not as good.

Taiser
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Taiser »

This site...

http://www.jbaircraftengines.com/price- ... -overhaul/

Gives you a rough idea of the cost of rebuilding the Lycomings. It will all depend on how many of your original parts are serviceable but it's a good ball park.

Another shop...

http://www.airpowerinc.com/productcart/ ... odID=10229

gives you a flat price for a new, rebuilt or overhauled engine and will take a good chunk off for your exchange. They have a good rep too! :)

WhiskeyWhiskey
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by WhiskeyWhiskey »

Latest & Greatest ≠ ReMan

LousyFisherman
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by LousyFisherman »

We just had a quote on an O-200, complete overhaul assuming the crank was still good. Everything was included including removal and installation.

Needless to say we sold the plane as is and are in the market for another one.

HTH
LF

Women and planes have alot in common
Both are expensive, loud, and noisy.
However, when handled properly both respond well and provide great pleasure
iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

As engines get older and labour gets more expensive over the years... the prices will go up. It doesn't make sense to overhaul or remanufacture engines for a private aircraft unless you have high utilization or want piece of mind (though with all of these AD on new engines and the 'infant mortality rates' they have... I'm not sure I'd be so comfortable).

Go find a half time engine that was overhauled recently and use it for the rest of your life with average private utilization. Even better, buy it attached to an aircraft. There is a 150 here on the field I've been coveting over the years with a rough airframe attached to a pretty much brand-new O-200. I could easily buy the plane for less than a reman engine.... and then just pull all of the good parts and instruments out of it and make it into a gate guardian or beer cans....

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

Iflyforpie, aren't you concerned about corrosion? I fly a citabria which recently needed a new cam because we didn't fly it enough.

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

We're in a pretty dry climate and as Hedley always said and I can verify from personal experience, Continentals are pretty corrosion resistant.

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
Gliderrider
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Gliderrider »

Can anyone recommend an overhaul shop in Canada? Preferably Ontario.
Thanks

corethatthermal
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by corethatthermal »

John donaldson has treated me well over the years at ATC Orillia ontario DAR would know better in 2019 ! Stripped an 0-290 today after sitting 35 years WITHOUT any preservation %^$%&(*&_)(&(^&%* Got lucky including ALL of the accessories. Continentals seem to fare better with the lower cam being oil drip preserved !

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

I was excited to see lousyfisherman and was going to ask what kind of plane they were looking for. Then realized that was four years ago. :(

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

I'm very happy to recommend John and the staff at ATC Engines at Orillia, he's done several engines for me, always a good outcome. Though he's not right on the airport, he's close enough that having the engine re-n-re'd by Orillia Aviation works okay. Otherwise, it's into the back of a pickup (usually upsidedown on a tire!).

Do not approach an engine overhaul with a spend limit. That is your best time to also do accessories, exhaust, airbox, baffles, hoses and wiring, and have a really good look at the engine mount. You are not saving yourself money if you put an overhauled engine back into a warn out engine room.

TeePeeCreeper
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by TeePeeCreeper »

PilotDAR wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:30 pm I'm very happy to recommend John and the staff at ATC Engines at Orillia, he's done several engines for me, always a good outcome. Though he's not right on the airport, he's close enough that having the engine re-n-re'd by Orillia Aviation works okay. Otherwise, it's into the back of a pickup (usually upsidedown on a tire!).

Do not approach an engine overhaul with a spend limit. That is your best time to also do accessories, exhaust, airbox, baffles, hoses and wiring, and have a really good look at the engine mount. You are not saving yourself money if you put an overhauled engine back into a warn out engine room.
Spot on PilotDar!

I’ll add that one has to pay in order to play.

I’ve seen countless engine overhauls and what I hadn't kept in mind was the labour cost (seems silly right! An engine comes off, crates and ships it’s self off for overhaul and gets put pack on for peanuts right?) associated with those overhauls. I was shocked at how many man hours it took to get my airplane’s engine off the mount and back there again.

Dar is right.... if your sending the damn thing out you might as well get everything (accessories, baffles etc) sorted while your at it!

All the best,
TPC

oldncold
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by oldncold »

well, bought plane that sat for 14yrs extensive annual done. was hopn to get300-500hours out of existing eng but on 25hr oil change oil filter reveled aluminium. since fly terrain in mountains. investigated problem. the case and crank were in excellent shape, 3 pistons end cap were sloppy which caused the aluminum in filter also cam shaft n some exhaust valves shown. signs of problems down the road.
So completed top overhaul new pistons new valves my cyl redone as they were in excellent shape, new camshaft. , etc and adressed

oldncold
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by oldncold »

cost was 19k plus another 5 k to address some issues. new eng mount rubbers mag harness eng 540 non turbo. should now get 900 hrs before full overhaul. as case was opened to see every thing.

Gliderrider
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Gliderrider »

Thank you all or the information and recommendations.

Gliderrider
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Gliderrider »

As a followup. I purchased a 1967 Cessna 150G which had a Continental 0-200-A with 1000hrs since MOH and had metal in the oil. As part of the price of the aircraft the engine had been stripped down and the bottom end substantially overhauled (The cause of the metal was the starter clutch being engaged while the engine was running.) Cylinders and valves were in good shape, valves were reground and new rings.

Unfortunately the advice in this post was not followed. The "engine room" was not attended to except that one Mag was overhauled and the other serviced. Now I am finding snag after snag, alternator glitches, oil temp gauge, oil pressure gauge, wiring coming loose etc.

Return to “General Comments”