Aviation medical fees

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

shimmydampner
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Aviation medical fees

Post by shimmydampner »

Not true. There is a statute of limitations on uncollected debts. Usually 6 years.
---------- ADS -----------

B-rad
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by B-rad »

http://credit-collections.ca/statute-of ... ada-debts/

Federal – Section 32 of the Crown Liability and Proceedings Act sets 6 years as the limit for debt. Consumers, however must be careful when dealing with the statute of limitations regarding debts at the Federal or Provincial Government level. These include student loans, child support, taxes and alimony.

My ambition is to live forever - so far, so good!
7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

B-rad wrote:http://credit-collections.ca/statute-of ... ada-debts/

Federal – Section 32 of the Crown Liability and Proceedings Act sets 6 years as the limit for debt. Consumers, however must be careful when dealing with the statute of limitations regarding debts at the Federal or Provincial Government level. These include student loans, child support, taxes and alimony.
And that, my fellow scofflaws, is where TC reigns supreme.

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

Bede wrote:I found it much cheaper to just slip the old TC accounts lady a $20 and she makes the $55 charge go away.
Careful, Bede, is that corruption? It might annoy some of the posters on here.

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
CD
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by CD »

New advisory circular has been published...
AC 600-005 - Fee collection changes related to processing of a medical certificate in respect of a pilot licence or a pilot permit other than a student pilot permit

4.0 APPLICANTS IN ARREARS

1. The CAR 104.05 states, subject to section 104.06, a charge imposed is payable in Canadian dollars at the time the service is commenced.

2. In accordance with the principles of good financial stewardship, in order to renew a Canadian Aviation Document (e.g. Aviation Document Booklet), TCCA must verify that the account is in good standing and require payment prior to rendering the service. Transport Canada reserves the right to refuse to issue a Canadian Aviation Document where the applicant is in arrears with the department.

3. This policy modernizes the fee collection process and enhances financial stewardship.

4. For accounts in arrears beyond the 120 day period, TCCA will pursue measures to suspend the pilot licence until such time as the account is in good standing and/or seek third party collection agencies to recoup the outstanding amounts.

Complete AC available here...

Illya Kuryakin
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Illya Kuryakin »

They'll be mighty mad at me then. I've been tossing them for years. Never paid one. Don't intend to. Just a money grab.
Illya

Wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then.
human garbage
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by human garbage »

^ I did the same but this new AC changes the whole game. Before they couldn't do anything but nag, now TC can suspend your license. Just coughed up the $633 I 'owed'... Not happy about it at all.

"...flying airplanes is really not all that difficult so it attracts some of the most mentally challenged people in society." - . .

"Baby, stick out your can... 'cause I'm the garbageman"
YYZSaabGuy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by YYZSaabGuy »

Illya Kuryakin wrote:They'll be mighty mad at me then. I've been tossing them for years. Never paid one. Don't intend to. Just a money grab.
Illya
You've been very consistent with that position for a while now, so obviously you've found a way to fly legally with a non-renewed or suspended ADB, then? Or alternately, your employer is OK with the insurance implications of permitting non-licensed crew to operate their aircraft? Either way, that's an interesting approach.

Illya Kuryakin
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Illya Kuryakin »

YYZSaabGuy wrote:
Illya Kuryakin wrote:They'll be mighty mad at me then. I've been tossing them for years. Never paid one. Don't intend to. Just a money grab.
Illya
You've been very consistent with that position for a while now, so obviously you've found a way to fly legally with a non-renewed or suspended ADB, then? Or alternately, your employer is OK with the insurance implications of permitting non-licensed crew to operate their aircraft? Either way, that's an interesting approach.
Nothing's expired/suspended or otherwise a problem. Everything's up to date on the licence front. Have a new medical upcoming. When the bill comes in for this one, I MIGHT send them a MO.
Illya

Jasper
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Jasper »

I just received a nastygram from the CRA demanding a call to settle a debt outstanding with Transport Canada for medical fees. That is a collection agency I will listen to. I am just happy I don't fly a single for hire or I would still be paying twice annually.

edit: While the letter is from the CRA, the contact number rings at the desk of Transport Canada Collections. Devious bastids!! ;)

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

CD wrote:New advisory circular has been published...
And to think I just got my latest bill from TC today...

Due dates in September, so I'll probably let it ride until then. :lol:

Illya Kuryakin
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Illya Kuryakin »

If they gave us something, ANYTHING for our money.
Illya

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

Illya Kuryakin wrote:If they gave us something, ANYTHING for our money.
Illya
I think from now on, we should demand that the CAME's remit $55 of their fee to TC.

I just paid $140 to renew my CAT1, Doc sends $55 to TC, he still ends up with $90. That's more than he's getting from MSP for any other patient...

GARRETT
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by GARRETT »

Is it true that it's only pilots who pay a medical processing fee? I heard that even though ATC have to get an annual medical, they don't pay a handling fee. I sure hope this is false information.

kevenv
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by kevenv »

GARRETT wrote:Is it true that it's only pilots who pay a medical processing fee? I heard that even though ATC have to get an annual medical, they don't pay a handling fee. I sure hope this is false information.
ATC does not pay the fee. On the odd occasion, TC messes up and does send out a bill. A quick phone call takes care of it.

YYZSaabGuy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by YYZSaabGuy »

kevenv wrote:
GARRETT wrote:Is it true that it's only pilots who pay a medical processing fee? I heard that even though ATC have to get an annual medical, they don't pay a handling fee. I sure hope this is false information.
ATC does not pay the fee. On the odd occasion, TC messes up and does send out a bill. A quick phone call takes care of it.
Stand by for the next explosion of outrage in five, four, three, two, one............

awitzke
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by awitzke »

I didn't get charged for my initial cat 3, nor my first cat 1. Got an invoice in the mail after my renewal... wasn't all that pleased considering it already costs like $150+ for what is basically a signature. It's not even like they are printing a sticker...

Taxivasion
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Taxivasion »

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/o ... -2138.html

Better pay that medical fee or you may find yourself without a licence.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

"For accounts in arrears beyond the 120 day period, TCCA will pursue measures to suspend the pilot licence until such time as the account is in good standing and/or seek third party collection agencies to recoup the outstanding amounts."

What's entirely and obviously missing from this AC is any suggestion of where the authority to suspend an aviation document on that ground comes from. Can't wait to see that taken to the TATC.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Illya Kuryakin
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Illya Kuryakin »

photofly wrote:"For accounts in arrears beyond the 120 day period, TCCA will pursue measures to suspend the pilot licence until such time as the account is in good standing and/or seek third party collection agencies to recoup the outstanding amounts."

What's entirely and obviously missing from this AC is any suggestion of where the authority to suspend an aviation document on that ground comes from. Can't wait to see that taken to the TATC.
My thought exactly. Scare tactics.
Illya

Return to “General Comments”