The $55 medical fee

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

delta1
Rank 2
Rank 2

The $55 medical fee

Post by delta1 »

I'm sure somewhere on here is another post asking the same thing.

For years I've paid it when TC decides to bill me. Just wondering what happens if I whereat never pay it?

Many people I've talked to claim they never have and never will pay it. Does / can it actually go to collections?

Thx
---------- ADS -----------

cdnpilot77
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: The $55 medical fee

Post by cdnpilot77 »

Yes...and if you continue to not pay it, they can and will deduct it from your tax refund or other tax benefits....from recent experience.

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

You must have just hit the 4 year mark like I did. ;)

Jack Klumpus
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Jack Klumpus »

I hit the 3 year mark, and was sent the usual warning letters that within 20 days they will send it to the credit bureau, collection agencies, and revenue canada.

When I retire, I’ll miss the clowns, not the circus.
esp803

Post by esp803 »

4 years for me.

$220

I think with inflation I end up ahead.... haha

E

Top_Gun
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Top_Gun »

5 years for me!!

justwork
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by justwork »

Just paid $200+ to them. They must have sent out the letters together

Taiser
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Taiser »

It's quite the scam IMHO. First you pay for getting the medical because it's third party. OK I can see that and thankfully a lot of CAME's out there don't rape us on fees, although I did visit one or two over the years that were pretty expensive!!! Then a medical dude at TC "reviews" the file??? Why have a CAME at all then if you don't trust their judgement? Why not just have the form filled out by my family doc and then the TC doc can review it to "aviation standards"?

My last medical TC wanted "clarifications" and I had to go back to my family doc for that AND see an optometrist. Thank god my family doc is good guy and didn't charge me for the follow up and letter he had to write but I did get dinged again at the eye doc for what turned out, of course, to be nothing! He thought that their request was stupid, but I told him "Hey, it's Transport Canada!!" :(

They only sent me the 55$ bill after they "approved" the medical though. Of course, during this time my new license arrived with the wrong medical date on it so I had to go back to my CAME and get the new license stamped because TC would not send me a new sticker unless I paid for it?!?!?? They recommend I just keep both licenses in my pocket to prove my medical validity if my doc wouldn't stamp my book again... What a bunch of retards...

What I want to know is why there is not a "standard" federally recognized medical protocol. For instance, I also have a commercial drivers license that needs a medical every few years. Why can't they have a set standard so that I could show my cat 1 or cat 3 medical and have that recognized as an equivalent? My driver's medical is usually about $160.00!!! Now that I'm getting older the requirements for these medicals is going to get more frequent and this will be getting pretty expensive eventually to keep these things valid!! :(

Cap'n Tripps
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cap'n Tripps »

Taiser wrote: My driver's medical is usually about $160.00!!! Now that I'm getting older the requirements for these medicals is going to get more frequent and this will be getting pretty expensive eventually to keep these things valid!! :(
If you're in Ontario, MTO is supposed to recognize your TC medical. When you go to the office to renew tell them it's in their policy manual for medical reports, Section MR-522, which states "certification portion of valid pilots license acceptable".

I believe the TC medical has to have been within the previous 30 days, maybe up to 90, can't remember right now, but I'm in the same boat. Had to fight to have my last one accepted.

Hope that helps!

makmoco
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by makmoco »

I just had my renewal done and the CAME charged me a lot of money, and after, I got charged by TC also which was big surprise.

Does anyone know if I'm gonna receive a letter or document from TC as with the 1st time I did it? I received a little Medical Certificate; or will I just live forever on the stamp on the logbook?

Blueontop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Blueontop »

They withheld issuing my type rating last month until I paid the $55 fee from last year. So they also seem to be doing that as well.

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

Subpart 4 — Charges

General

104.01 Subject to section 104.03, the charge imposed in respect of the issuance, renewal, amendment or endorsement or, in the case of a medical certificate, the processing, on or after January 1, 1998 of a document referred to in column I of an item of Schedules I to VII to this Subpart is the charge set out in column II of the item.

SOR/97-542, s. 1.
104.02 As provided by paragraph 4.4(2)(b) of the Act, if a document referred to in column I of an item of Schedules I to VII to this Subpart is not issued, renewed, amended or endorsed but action preparatory thereto has been carried out, the charge calculated in accordance with section 104.01, 104.03 or 104.04 is payable.

SOR/97-542, s. 1.
And;
Payment

104.05 Subject to section 104.06, a charge imposed under this Subpart is payable in Canadian dollars at the time the service is commenced.

SOR/97-542, s. 1.
104.06 A charge is payable in Canadian dollars within 30 days after the date indicated on each invoice presented by the Minister for the service, in the case of a charge imposed in respect of

(a) the processing of medical certificates referred to in item 21 of Schedule IV to this Subpart;...
Basically, if you get a bill - pay it or we'll inconvenience you until you are forced to pay.

bald seagull
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by bald seagull »

The fee has been around for years - part of being a pilot, folks.

Can't afford to pay it? Change careers.

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

The fee has been around for years- part of being a pilot, folks

Post Posted: Fri May 05, 2017 3:52 pm
Actually, I can afford it if I get mugged and the guy steals $55.00 .
But that does not mean what the mugger does is right, or that I should accept it because I can afford it.

The fee was "sold" to us originally to pay for the AIP.
Well that has gone, but the fee has stayed. So typical of a government.
When the govt cant tax anymore, they resort to fees. And they rely on the sheeple meekly accepting it. In your case because you feel it is part of being a pilot, and if you can afford it, just hand the money over.

No politician will ever go to bat for its removal, and you can bet no one at TC will ever do the right thing and drop it because they no longer are providing what they promissed for it..

But hey, you can afford it right! So just roll over and pay.

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

The fee has been around for years - part of being a pilot, folks.

Wow....so typical Canadian it is breath taking.

I sure would not fly with anyone who does not understand the meaning of extortion.

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
5x5
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 5x5 »

Trey, please provide evidence that this fee was ever officially presented as specifically for the production of the old AIP. Certainly that's the old pilot tale that circulates every time this comes up but I do not recall it ever being stated in any official correspondence. I do recall it being explained as a processing/administration fee that was tied to the cycle of the medical issuance and in the old days one of the tangible administration activities was issuing the AIP. Today there are other activities that still require funding and likely that's where the money goes.

Do I like paying the fee - of course not. But I'm realistic enough to realize that if it wasn't charged the revenue shortfall would fall elsewhere and other taxes would have to cover it.

Being stupid around airplanes is a capital offence and nature is a hanging judge!

“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.”
Mark Twain
Illya Kuryakin
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Illya Kuryakin »

I've never paid it. Ever. Thought about it, but nope. BTW its age discrimination. 110$ a year for some of us. It's extortion, as Cat says.
Illya

Wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then.
mantogasrsrwy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mantogasrsrwy »

If they sent me an invoice like in the old days I would pay it and submit it to the company. Now days they seem to skip the invoice and just send me a threatening overdue notice many months later. I used to pay when the invoice came, now I pay when the threatening overdue notice comes. Are we supposed to just pay with no invoice? Am I missing something? I completely forgot until now my company owes them $55.

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Do I like paying the fee - of course not. But I'm realistic enough to realize that if it wasn't charged the revenue shortfall would fall elsewhere and other taxes would have to cover it.
There was a time when " ALL " T.C. services were covered by our Federal taxes and " ALL " T.C. check rides and exams were covered by our taxes, there was zero extra charges for any service provided.

However as time passes they hire more drones and the more they hire the more they raise taxes ( Service fees are taxes...period. )

Eventually the drones will outnumber the working bees in the hive and the hive will die.

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

Thought about it, but nope. BTW its age discrimination. 110$ a year for some of us. It's extortion, as Cat says.
A good idea is a good idea.
I think an email is in order..discrimination it is..

And 5x5. As it happens I have no dog in this fight. You may be correct. It is not important enough for me to research, but, like others, I do remember when it started.

The fact that old pilots pay twice as much a year as younger pilots is worth persuing.

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post

Return to “General Comments”